Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DK's chat today . . . buried message?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:47 pm 

Three separate questions and answers from today's PPG chat with DK (http://post-gazette.com/pg/09176/979874-63.stm):

CyBixler: Adam LaRoche continues to smash that ball (1.077 OPS in June). The San Francisco Giants continue to lead the NL Wild Card despite a legitimate 1B. It would seem like they should make fantastic trade partner, agree?

Dejan Kovacevic: I have yet to hear LaRoche's name come up in any substantive trade talks.

znc1: I assume Jaramillo is likely the backup catcher when Doumit returns. Will Diaz go back to AAA, or will he stay on the roster. I thought I heard that he played other positions in the minors (but probably not well).

Dejan Kovacevic: Either the Pirates will move Doumit, or Diaz will go back. Given Diaz's shortcomings defensively and Russell's priority on that area, he would be odd man out. But the team also can be expected to give long thought to Doumit.
(emphasis added)

jg09: Any new trade rumors involving Adam, Jack or Freddy?

Dejan Kovacevic: I would not keep such things secret. That would be in the regular coverage.

At risk of being accused of reading too much between the lines here . . . with respect to Freddy, Jack and Adam, DK does not hestitate to answer that he has not heard any trade rumors involving these players. Yet, with a Doumit question, DK writes that the team will either "move" Doumit or demote Diaz and can be "expected" to give long thought to what to do with Doumit.

What does "move" mean? "Move" as in "trade?" "Move" as in positional? Given the team's adamence that Doumit's value is as a catcher, do you think that DK was subtly hinted that he may have "off the record" comments about Doumit's future as a Buc?

Disclaimer here: This is pure and unfettered speculation on my part. I just thought that it was interesting in the way it read in comparision to the other players.

Post subject: Re: DK's chat today . . . buried message?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I believe DK addressed this earlier this week in his NH interview. NH suggested that "move" meant RF or 1b.

But then again, I am only a poor geologist, and not a consouler trained for deep probing anything but dirt and rocks! :D

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:55 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Three separate questions and answers from today's PPG chat with DK (http://post-gazette.com/pg/09176/979874-63.stm):

CyBixler: Adam LaRoche continues to smash that ball (1.077 OPS in June). The San Francisco Giants continue to lead the NL Wild Card despite a legitimate 1B. It would seem like they should make fantastic trade partner, agree?

Dejan Kovacevic: I have yet to hear LaRoche's name come up in any substantive trade talks.

znc1: I assume Jaramillo is likely the backup catcher when Doumit returns. Will Diaz go back to AAA, or will he stay on the roster. I thought I heard that he played other positions in the minors (but probably not well).

Dejan Kovacevic: Either the Pirates will move Doumit, or Diaz will go back. Given Diaz's shortcomings defensively and Russell's priority on that area, he would be odd man out. But the team also can be expected to give long thought to Doumit.
(emphasis added)

jg09: Any new trade rumors involving Adam, Jack or Freddy?

Dejan Kovacevic: I would not keep such things secret. That would be in the regular coverage.

At risk of being accused of reading too much between the lines here . . . with respect to Freddy, Jack and Adam, DK does not hestitate to answer that he has not heard any trade rumors involving these players. Yet, with a Doumit question, DK writes that the team will either "move" Doumit or demote Diaz and can be "expected" to give long thought to what to do with Doumit.

What does "move" mean? "Move" as in "trade?" "Move" as in positional? Given the team's adamence that Doumit's value is as a catcher, do you think that DK was subtly hinted that he may have "off the record" comments about Doumit's future as a Buc?

Disclaimer here: This is pure and unfettered speculation on my part. I just thought that it was interesting in the way it read in comparision to the other players.

I'm thinking he means move as in change of position for Doumit...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:58 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I believe DK addressed this earlier this week in his NH interview. NH suggested that "move" meant RF or 1b.
ZM

That was my initial reaction as well . . . I hadn't read through the NH interview yet . . . previously, the Bucco management staff seemed pretty set that Doumit's value was at catcher and that's where they wanted to keep him. Perhaps the combination of Jaramillo's play and Moss' struggles will change that. Or . . . those non-existent trade talks involving LaRoche will come to fruition and Doumit moves to first base.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 pm 

John Perotto was pretty emphatic last night during the pregame show that it would not be Doumit's choice to move to first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:14 pm 

He seemed pretty comfy playing RF, move Doumit there, and Moss to LF...

If LaRoche is traded, Pearce is there, or see how Moss can do there...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:19 pm 

Pearce would hurt the infield defense immeasurably.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm 

The Pirates need power bats in RF and LF. Move Doumit to RF.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm 

If anybody cares and gets the channel. Neal Huntington is going to be the special guest tonight on the nightly sports call.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am 

I think No.9 is being a Geovanny Soto.