Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did we take the wrong deal for Jason Bay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 pm 

This is from Yahoo and WEEI.com. It lists what exactly the Braves were willing to trade for Jason Bay last season.
OF Jason Bay knew that he was nearly traded to both the Atlanta Braves and Tampa Bay Rays when he finally arrived in Boston last season on July 31, but WEEI.com unearthed the details of the near-deal that brought the left fielder to Boston. According to the report, the Braves would have sent Concepcion Rodriguez, Brent Lillibridge, Brandon Jones and Jeff Locke to the Bucs in exchange for the All-Star outfielder, but the Pirates decided they could find a better crop of talent with the combination deal brokered by the Los Angeles Dodgers and Red Sox. "That's news to me," said Bay of how close he came to becoming an Atlanta Brave last summer. "I don't put much stock into 'what ifs,' but I'm glad here."

My question is do you think this would have been a better deal for the Pirates than the deal they made?

Post subject: Re: Did we take the wrong deal for Jason Bay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:41 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
This is from Yahoo and WEEI.com. It lists what exactly the Braves were willing to trade for Jason Bay last season.
OF Jason Bay knew that he was nearly traded to both the Atlanta Braves and Tampa Bay Rays when he finally arrived in Boston last season on July 31, but WEEI.com unearthed the details of the near-deal that brought the left fielder to Boston. According to the report, the Braves would have sent Concepcion Rodriguez, Brent Lillibridge, Brandon Jones and Jeff Locke to the Bucs in exchange for the All-Star outfielder, but the Pirates decided they could find a better crop of talent with the combination deal brokered by the Los Angeles Dodgers and Red Sox. "That's news to me," said Bay of how close he came to becoming an Atlanta Brave last summer. "I don't put much stock into 'what ifs,' but I'm glad here."

My question is do you think this would have been a better deal for the Pirates than the deal they made?

Well to tell the truth the Braves Package doesn't look to great. But however the Dodger Sox deal could have been just as bad. At the time the Dodger sox deal was better but they are both equally as bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Well to tell the truth the Braves Package doesn't look to great. But however the Dodger Sox deal could have been just as bad. At the time the Dodger sox deal was better but they are both equally as bad.

That is kinda where i was sitting. I don't really care for either trade but i can't decide which one i like better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:00 am 

WEEI is a great station. Probably the best all sports station in the land.

I have mixed feelings about the trade, and won't pretend to know much about all of those players listed but I have to say that Andy L has really been a great addition. Therefore, it's hard for me to see how we could have done a lot better.

I love Bay and it was funny because they were debating if the Sox should offer him 60m over 4 yrs on WEEI a week or so ago to prevent free agency. The response was mixed but it sounds reasonable to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
WEEI is a great station. Probably the best all sports station in the land.

I have mixed feelings about the trade, and won't pretend to know much about all of those players listed but I have to say that Andy L has really been a great addition. Therefore, it's hard for me to see how we could have done a lot better.

I love Bay and it was funny because they were debating if the Sox should offer him 60m over 4 yrs on WEEI a week or so ago to prevent free agency. The response was mixed but it sounds reasonable to me.

I think they should. With Ortiz in the boat he is in, i think 60m over 4 years is pretty decent. That 15m a year. I think he is worth up to 20m a year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 am 

Jason is having a career year. Great for him as he is a classy guy. Would he have had the same kind of season in Pittsburgh? I think not.

Different dementions and size of left field. Easier home run place for a fly ball guy, and much easier defensive outfield for him. Team in a winning atmosphere. He doesn't have to carry the team so he can play more relaxed and just show his talent. Much more condusive for success.

He must be very happy. He'll get some serious money for signing a muti-year deal after this season with them or someone else. Like most players this is surely a motivated season as he is at free angency.

I even saw him slide by the foul line to catch a ball. Rare event for Jason.

I'm satisfied with the return we got. Andy is proving his talent and we need to wait on the others for a while until they develop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:01 pm 

I like the Bay trade a lot more now than I did at the beginning of the year, when I had a sinking feeling that we got hosed. But Andy LaRoche is coming along nicely and could be the top defensive 3B in the league in the near future. I'm hoping we can coax some performance from the others as well.

Bay should get something in the range of $50 mil for three years or $60 mil for four years. He's not going to get $20 mil a year...that's what Teixeira just got. Their ages and career numbers are similar (Teixeira is slightly younger), but Teixeira is much better defensively. Bay is a huge liability in left field, and although Fenway is the perfect place for someone like him, he still has to play half of his games elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Colin21 wrote:

No.

ZM