Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why Should Fans Go To Games?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 pm 

.290 is not average . It is above average. LaPorta has proven nothing at the ML level. Tell me what he has proven at the ML level.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:42 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
.290 is not average . It is above average. LaPorta has proven nothing at the ML level. Tell me what he has proven at the ML level.

He didn't get enough time to prove anything! :lol:
Weren't you the one making up excuses for Laroche who played worse then Laporta did in his debut? What has Laroche proven? He can hit 290, field very average, and bring nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:46 pm 

He hit .190 and they sent him down. What he proved was that he wasn't ready.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:47 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He hit .190 and they sent him down. What he proved was that he wasn't ready.

Yet he has more value then Laroche.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:51 pm 

Based on what? Minor league numbers? That turd don't float at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Based on what? Minor league numbers? That turd don't float at this point.

Go ask any major league team they would take Laporta over laroche the pirates would too.
Laporta is a future all star.
Laroche is a future journeyman 3rd basemen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:01 pm 

Ryann wrote:
He also has proven he can make a lot of errors at 3b. He is not a good fielder at third accept that!!!

Hard to accept when the stats say otherwise:
http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?tea ... 09&month=0

LaRoche has a 2.2 UZR, which means that he's been 2.2 runs better than the league-average 3B. I don't know what your definition of "good" is regarding fielding, but I can objectively say that he is better than the average defender.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm 

Ryann, One thing I think a lot of posters that have been replying to you have in common is that we were around when the Pirates were good. When they were champions. I'm sure it's tough for you to hang with the Bucs when all you've seen have been losing seasons, but I absolutely remember when it was expected that the Pirates would win the NL east. You mention why do we go to games? Not only do I go to games...I travel hundreds of miles to go to games...I'm originally from NC and how I became a Pirate fan who knows...NBC game of the week. Stargell and Clemente and the rest is in my blood. They won the series that year (71) and I've been a fan ever since. Now I live close enough to go to Pittsburgh or Cinci or somewhere close by every year and I do. The Pirates lost the first 9 games I saw them play in person. This year I went to the Colorado series in Pittsburgh and got to see a 10 run inning by the Bucs. We piggybacked that series with the following one in DC. Saw the Bucs take 5 of 6 on that trip and it was great. Saw Nate make his last great defensive play for the Pirates in that series. Who knows what I'll see Cutch do next year...but I'm goin! I know you play ball...if you could see in a crystal ball right now and know that you'd never become a professional...would you still play? Or give up?....that's what I thought. Same with true Pirate fans. I went to Wrigley 4 or 5 years ago to see the Bucs and we got waxed. A Cub fan smarted off to me and I told him..."at least I've seen my team win the world series...twice" Cub fan/owned. There's a history involved that nobody can seem to get you to understand. I don't think people here are trying so much to make/keep you a fan...but try to understand why we are. Peace to you. (sorry for the novel....)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:40 am 

ParrotLuv wrote:
Ryann, One thing I think a lot of posters that have been replying to you have in common is that we were around when the Pirates were good. When they were champions. I'm sure it's tough for you to hang with the Bucs when all you've seen have been losing seasons, but I absolutely remember when it was expected that the Pirates would win the NL east. You mention why do we go to games? Not only do I go to games...I travel hundreds of miles to go to games...I'm originally from NC and how I became a Pirate fan who knows...NBC game of the week. Stargell and Clemente and the rest is in my blood. They won the series that year (71) and I've been a fan ever since. Now I live close enough to go to Pittsburgh or Cinci or somewhere close by every year and I do. The Pirates lost the first 9 games I saw them play in person. This year I went to the Colorado series in Pittsburgh and got to see a 10 run inning by the Bucs. We piggybacked that series with the following one in DC. Saw the Bucs take 5 of 6 on that trip and it was great. Saw Nate make his last great defensive play for the Pirates in that series. Who knows what I'll see Cutch do next year...but I'm goin! I know you play ball...if you could see in a crystal ball right now and know that you'd never become a professional...would you still play? Or give up?....that's what I thought. Same with true Pirate fans. I went to Wrigley 4 or 5 years ago to see the Bucs and we got waxed. A Cub fan smarted off to me and I told him..."at least I've seen my team win the world series...twice" Cub fan/owned. There's a history involved that nobody can seem to get you to understand. I don't think people here are trying so much to make/keep you a fan...but try to understand why we are. Peace to you. (sorry for the novel....)

You have seen the team win a world series twice...I have seen the team set a record with 17 straight losing seasons.