Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Should Fans Go To Games?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 pm 

This is a serious question I ask. There is many factors in this that I am bringing up in why fans should go to games.

1. The team's 17 consecutive losing streak. The Pirates have continued this terrible record setting losing streak for any american sports franchise. They widely have been considered the worst sports franchise by many. The moves they have made the last 10 years can make fans want to jump off a bridge. Passing on Wieters, not accepting trade for Ryan Howard (Because management thought Brad Eldred was better), signing terrible past their prime free agents (Jeremy Burnitz/ Joe Randa come to mind), trading for a high price veteran who is well past his prime and has one of the worst contracts in the game in Matt Morris to your team which already has one of the leagues lowest payrolls, trade for Shawn Chacon who is about to go on waivers by the Yankees. Those are just some that come to mind. You would think those factors alone could contribute to fans not going to games anymore. But hey the team is trying now right? We can't be hard on the current management because of the priors mistakes huh? Well lets look at better factors that questions why fans should go to games.

2. Many accept the organization to give up the next years. It is a fact that developing a strong farm system is crucial to an organization's success. However giving up on 2009, 2010, 2011, should be the biggest reasons why fans won't go to games. Why shell out cash to go see a mediocre team that gives up on seasons that have yet to begin. Fans should force management to make acquisitions that can hold down the fort and help the Pirates be somewhat competitive to give them a fighting chance to be competitive until the talent makes it into the majors. So why should fans go to the games, just to see a mediocre team that has given up on that season even in the early parts.

3. The economy is bad. People are losing jobs and the value of the dollar is going down. Why should fans pay to go see a terrible team? A fan may pay say 19 dollars for their ticket on average. Add in 25 bucks for food, drinks, and maybe a some pirates apparell. Really include familys with children who are crying for food or some type of pirates apparell. By then you pay maybe 50 bucks to go to the game if you add parking. Add kids maybe then you end up at 50-100 per game. Doesn't that seem like a waste of money to go see this miserable team?

That ends why fans shouldn't go to games. Here I give my reason why fans still do.

You see many of the people that still are going to games aren't true "fans" just watch a Pirates telecast or maybe you have noticed the games. A lot of people there don't care what goes on as far as the game. They are to busy socializing, talking on cell phones, eating food. Some people go to the game for the cheap promotions which makes me most sick about the Pirates. The Pirates are a product. The organization doesn't advertise the team as a product, but they use cheap promotions. Every night it's some stupid bobblehead, fireworks, t-shirt. All covered with some sort of advertisement (other then the fireworks). Then the stupidest part of the Pirate game is the crap that goes on between innings. Go to a Yankee or Red Sox game their fans watch the games and cheer. Our fans are always having some stupid stuff like t-shirt toss, hotdog shoot, bucco, box of mystery, and periogi races between innings.
The Pirates run their team like an independent league. They don't have talent so they use tacky promotions.

So I ask why should fans go to the games?

Post subject: Re: Why Should Fans Go To Games?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 am 

I go to games because I want to. Because I enjoy it. Because every once in a while I like to see the guys in person that I root for and read about every day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:03 am 

Ralphie wrote:
I go to games because I want to. Because I enjoy it. Because every once in a while I like to see the guys in person that I root for and read about every day.

You enjoy what? You get to see from a distance some mediocre players that you read about. You also spend money on supporting a team that for 17 straight years has lost and you ignore those other factors.

Here let me ask another question do you really like going to the games?
After seeing other ones in other staduim I dont.
Pnc has the nicest ball park but the atmosphere is worse then anyother field.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:07 am 

Ralphie wrote:

I feel about the same as this. I will say i would go to more games if we were a winning team, but i like to go to about 5 games a year or so. Last year i attended all 3(kinda 4 because of a rainout) of the Yankees series and they were great, i also went to the Astros game at the end of the year but i will admit it was because Lynard Skynard had a post game concert, and i can't remember what the other game i went to was, I won 4 tickets from 92.1 The Pickle. I think it might have been the Cubs,but i'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:10 am 

Ryann wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

You enjoy what? You get to see from a distance some mediocre players that you read about. You also spend money on supporting a team that for 17 straight years has lost and you ignore those other factors.

Here let me ask another question do you really like going to the games?
After seeing other ones in other staduim I dont.
Pnc has the nicest ball park but the atmosphere is worse then anyother field.

You have to pick the right series. That is why i like interleague so much. I went to the Red Sox series a couple years ago, the Angels series, and the Yankees series last year and the crowd was electric. I will never forget Jeff Reboulet's fan club that dressed like a barbershop cortet, and they kept singing John Burkett is a horse's ass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:14 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I feel about the same as this. I will say i would go to more games if we were a winning team, but i like to go to about 5 games a year or so. Last year i attended all 3(kinda 4 because of a rainout) of the Yankees series and they were great, i also went to the Astros game at the end of the year but i will admit it was because Lynard Skynard had a post game concert, and i can't remember what the other game i went to was, I won 4 tickets from 92.1 The Pickle. I think it might have been the Cubs,but i'm not sure.

So basiclly you like many others went because. They were playing a team that had greatness unsurpassed by any other major league team. And because of a famous rock band was playing.
I wish people would relize what the Pirates are doing. They make money of that kind of stuff then pocket it. They haven't spent money to put a good team on the field. They are afraid to take the financial risk of getting talent and a winning team to put fans into the stands. So they continue to run a sideshow circus act of a baseball game.
I have been to Dodger Stadium, Old Yankee Staduim, the Reds old stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field. And none of those stadium hav ethe circus act like the Pirates. They don't need stupid promotions or little games between innings to keep the fans minds on something other then the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:26 am 

I go because I like to watch the games. I find it entertaining, even when they lose. I don't particularly care about the opponent or the promotion that day.

Usually I am satisfied to watch on TV, but once in a while I like to go. They have lost so much that I am almost immune to it. It hardly bothers me. But I still like to watch, and hope.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:28 am 

But isn't your hope dying? Baseball is on life support in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:32 am 

I have been to a couple of stadiums. I have been to Bank One Ballpark(i don't know what it is now but it was BOB then), Great American Ballpark, Wrigley Field, US Cellular Field, Turner Field, Jacob's Field(now Progressive Field), The Old Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, an The Sky Dome. My top 5 favorties that i have seen are listed below.
1.Yankees@Pirates
2.Red Sox@Pirates
3.Rangers@Braves
4.Giants@Pirates
5.Royals@Indians

Wrigley was horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:36 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I have been to a couple of stadiums. I have been to Bank One Ballpark(i don't know what it is now but it was BOB then), Great American Ballpark, Wrigley Field, US Cellular Field, Turner Field, Jacob's Field(now Progressive Field), The Old Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, an The Sky Dome. My top 5 favorties that i have seen are listed below.
1.Yankees@Pirates
2.Red Sox@Pirates
3.Rangers@Braves
4.Giants@Pirates
5.Royals@Indians

Wrigley was horrible.

Think if your a cub fan. Its not a carnival its a baseball game! Im not a fan of seeing stupid sideshows I want a baseball game and a great baseball atmosphere.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 am 

We should be excited about Andrew Mc Cutchen certainly. I feel your frustration though. I wish we could have kept Bay and Mc Louth because I thought our division was winnable this year. Certainly we needed to pick up a good veteran starter and we don't wanna spend the money. We do have a couple of decent young starting pitchers and an OK bull pen.

Next year the Cubs will probably be a lot better. If we don't have a legitimate core group of players in the next couple of years I will be through with this team. We HAVE to build a team around Mc Cutchen.. have to spend some money while continuing to develop young talent.

On the post game show here they are saying "the Pirates beat the Pirates tonight" (two franchises in the same boat?) Cleveland's owner is one of the worst in baseball (has sworn allegiance to a GM who is not producing.) Tribe fans who are in Pittsburgh for the series are calling the post game show and saying the best part of the game was the stadium. They all say PNC Park is beautiful. And that's from guys who despise the city! They said there was no energy from the crowd though.

We need more power, need a gritty Dustin Pedroia type, more power, couple of proven veteran starting pitchers.

I have never been to PNC Park.. still hope to go someday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 am 

Ryann wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
1.Yankees@Pirates
2.Red Sox@Pirates
3.Rangers@Braves
4.Giants@Pirates
5.Royals@Indians

Wrigley was horrible.

Think if your a cub fan. Its not a carnival its a baseball game! Im not a fan of seeing stupid sideshows I want a baseball game and a great baseball atmosphere.

I went last year when they played the White Sox and i got a pin, so they are still giving stuff away also. The Cubs won 11-7 and i got to see Aramis hit a homer, but i just didn't like the Cub fans and the atmosphere. They were always pissed and they were winning. They were made because they didn't think they should have given up 7 runs, even though they had a 9 run 4th inning they still weren't happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 am 

Ryann, is your goal with this thread to convince others to stop going to games? Because that's what it looks like. If people like going to games, why would you want to deprive them of that enjoyment, even if you don't get the same enjoyment or understand why someone other than you would get enjoyment out of going to a Pirate game? If you don't like going, don't go. But if other people think it is worth the money to attend a game, who are you to tell them that they're wrong in doing so?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 am 

Willton wrote:
Ryann, is your goal with this thread to convince others to stop going to games? Because that's what it looks like. If people like going to games, why would you want to deprive them of that enjoyment, even if you don't get the same enjoyment or understand why someone other than you would get enjoyment out of going to a Pirate game? If you don't like going, don't go. But if other people think it is worth the money to attend a game, who are you to tell them that they're wrong in doing so?

I don't think that is what he is trying to do. I think he is really asking what are others reasons to go. I have left the park saying why do i even bother, but it is a feeling going to a game like no other, i can compare it to when i pitched in the State Championship, i got rocked and only lasted into the 4th inning, but it was an experience i will never forget even though the result wasn't what i wanted it to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:25 am 

Wilton is it your goal to hijack every thread of mine and try to make it seem I am saying something im not? It sure seems that way!
I never have told anyone not to go to the games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:21 am 

Ryann,

All Major League Teams have Fireworks and bobbleheads, and hotdog cannons at their games...

I believe it was posted earlier by No.9 that there are contending teams giving away alot more bobbleheads and concerts than the Pirates...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:54 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Ryann,

All Major League Teams have Fireworks and bobbleheads, and hotdog cannons at their games...

I believe it was posted earlier by No.9 that there are contending teams giving away alot more bobbleheads and concerts than the Pirates...

But that isn't true.
They don't have promotions everynight, they don't have more bobbleheads then the pirates. Get your head out of your ass have you been to these other fields? I was at like 8 and non are nearly as bad as the Pirates. No other teams don't have a game every inning break, a givaway every night, or fireworks. They are first class organizations that sell the product of a good baseball game and team. The pirates sell the product of a carnival.

Still no one has answered the Question cause they can't. Why should fans go to games?
And. Why do fans go to games?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:58 pm 

I go because I like baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:05 pm 

Why do birds fly? Why do fish swim? Fans go to games because they are fans!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 pm 

Because in America you are still permitted to spend your hard earned dollars on anything that you want as long as it's legal. Oh, and I really like baseball.