Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Line-up again a problem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:34 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Hitting infront of a guy like Freddy, who hits lots of doubles means Morgan doesnt need to steal as much if at all...He still has a problem over running the bases...

Morgan is a 4th or 5th OFer...He scares me in the OF and on the bases, when he gets on...

If he is a 4th or 5th ofer then Moss is a 6th or 7th

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:38 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Getting a steal and to 2nd is better then getting a single and getting on first. With nyjer a basehit scores him from 2nd every single time.

Yeah, unless he gets caught in the process, in which case he goes back to the bench and never has the opportunity to score. The out is far more important than the advanced base.

But more often then not he gets to 2nd instead of thrown out. 17 is larger then 7

Yes, but you fail to recognize that an out is much more valuable than a base. Those 7 outs are far more damaging than those 17 extra bases are beneficial. A player needs to be 75% successful at stealing in order for it to have a beneficial effect on the team's run scoring. Morgan is not close to that mark.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 pm 

You are wrong about outs being more vauled then bases. Ever hear of the sacrifice bunt? The team willing trades an out to get into scoring position.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:52 pm 

Ryann wrote:
You are wrong about outs being more vauled then bases. Ever hear of the sacrifice bunt? The team willing trades an out to get into scoring position.

There have been many debates about the sac bunt...some like it, some dont, some think it depends on the situation...you're opening a can of worms I dont think you can handle...

sorry I posted after you again...I know as much about posting on message boards as I do about baseball...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 pm 

Yet most teams use the sacrifice bunt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:15 am 

Ryann wrote:

A team has just 27 outs in a game. Making outs on the bases is one of the best ways to prevent scoring, or reduce the number of runs scored.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 am 

Pretty good point for a guy who doesn't know the game. :o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:54 am 

Bucfan who is behind Roberto in your avatar?
I can't tell who that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 am 

Ryann wrote:
Yet most teams use the sacrifice bunt

Do I have to use the "If most teams jumped off of a bridge..." line for you? Just because the sac bunt is popular does not mean it's a good play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:42 pm 

My point is better :lol:
You get 27 outs. When you have non and can move a runner to where a fly ball to the outfield can score him...you do it!
Or when there is no outs and you can put a guy at 2nd where a base hit could score him you do it!
There is more outs then scoring oppurtunites in games!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 pm 

Ryann wrote:
You get 27 outs. When you have non and can move a runner to where a fly ball to the outfield can score him...you do it!
Or when there is no outs and you can put a guy at 2nd where a base hit could score him you do it!

Well, then why don't we have everyone steal? Adam LaRoche should steal more bases! Jason Jaramillo should steal more bases! Hell, let's have the pitchers steal bases when they get on! Those bases are so damn important that everyone should steal!

Okay, sarcasm off.

Look, I have no problem with stealing bases. What I have a problem with is getting caught stealing. Every time a runner gets caught stealing is a lost run scoring opportunity, which is something you think is not very abundant. Running into outs is a great way to kill rallies and limit run-scoring. Someone who gets caught a lot, like Morgan, either needs to get better and picking his spots or should just not steal at all. Right now, he's doing his team no favors with his base-running.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:54 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Well, then why don't we have everyone steal? Adam LaRoche should steal more bases! Jason Jaramillo should steal more bases! Hell, let's have the pitchers steal bases when they get on! Those bases are so damn important that everyone should steal!

Okay, sarcasm off.

Look, I have no problem with stealing bases. What I have a problem with is getting caught stealing. Every time a runner gets caught stealing is a lost run scoring opportunity, which is something you think is not very abundant. Running into outs is a great way to kill rallies and limit run-scoring. Someone who gets caught a lot, like Morgan, either needs to get better and picking his spots or should just not steal at all. Right now, he's doing his team no favors with his base-running.

Ok but nyjer is 17/24. That is what I can live with if he vastly increases the chance of scoring the pirates aren't a power team and they wont score to many runs from first base. That is why the must play small ball and be aggressive on the base paths.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:24 pm 

Okay can anybody answer me about who is behind Roberto in Bucfans avatar? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:39 am 

Colin21 wrote:

Sorry, Colin, life got in the way. I have no idea who is behind Clemente in that photo. Here is the original:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:43 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Sorry, Colin, life got in the way. I have no idea who is behind Clemente in that photo. Here is the original:

Hmm i still can't tell who that is. This picture might end up being a future trivia question. Thank you though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Hmm i still can't tell who that is. This picture might end up being a future trivia question. Thank you though.

This pic obviously is from somewhere between late 1970 (after the move to TRS) and the end of 72 because of the doubleknit unis. If you are talking about the guy in the glasses...my first guesses would have been Bob Johnson or Dave Ricketts. Not sure who else wore glasses that isn't obviously recognizable...unless it was a September callup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:15 am 

Quote:
This pic obviously is from somewhere between late 1970 (after the move to TRS) and the end of 72 because of the doubleknit unis. If you are talking about the guy in the glasses...my first guesses would have been Bob Johnson or Dave Ricketts. Not sure who else wore glasses that isn't obviously recognizable...unless it was a September callup.

Yeah they guy in the glasses is who i am talking about. I don't think it is Dave Ricketts because Ricketts was alittle weirder looking and he had pointy ears, this guys doesn't have ears like that, and i didn't think Bob Johnson wore glasses. Wasn't he #27 and have the wacky sideburns?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:17 am 

BTW...
Moss vs LHP 2009 .258/.303/.323 for OPS of .626...Career .263/.330/.389 for a OPS of .719.
Morgan vs LHP 2009 .132/.231/.191 for OPS of .422...Career .183/.277/.283 for an OPS of .560.

So please tell me which outfielder should be sitting against left handers??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:20 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah they guy in the glasses is who i am talking about. I don't think it is Dave Ricketts because Ricketts was alittle weirder looking and he had pointy ears, this guys doesn't have ears like that, and i didn't think Bob Johnson wore glasses. Wasn't he #27 and have the wacky sideburns?

I'm pretty sure that Johnson was #27...but can't really see whether there are sideburns in that picture...at least on my monitor. I did see at least 1 team pic that someone noted as Johnson had glasses on. It pretty much has to be a pitcher or a coach. Don't remember any white position players that wore glasses. If it's from late 70...did Bob Miller wear glasses??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:49 am 

Thunder wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that Johnson was #27...but can't really see whether there are sideburns in that picture...at least on my monitor. I did see at least 1 team pic that someone noted as Johnson had glasses on. It pretty much has to be a pitcher or a coach. Don't remember any white position players that wore glasses. If it's from late 70...did Bob Miller wear glasses??

I was thinking pitcher or coach because he has a jacket on. I'm starting to lean towards coach now, but i think he looks alittle young to be a coach.