Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has the Free Fall Begun?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 am 

I am sorry to say it, but I had a glimmer of hope when the Pirates were only 3 games under .500 in june. But of course the Pirates fail me again. They have lost 4 straight in a 4 game stretch that has had untimely hitting, poor pitching, and questionable managerial calls. How much Longer does this team take to trade the rest of the older talented parts team like Laroche and Sanchez? Dump Sanchez now and throw Delwyn Young out there more often. Then put pearce or moss at first.

Post subject: Re: Has the Free Fall Begun?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 am 

Ryann wrote:
I am sorry to say it, but I had a glimmer of hope when the Pirates were only 3 games under .500 in june. But of course the Pirates fail me again. They have lost 4 straight in a 4 game stretch that has had untimely hitting, poor pitching, and questionable managerial calls. How much Longer does this team take to trade the rest of the older talented parts team like Laroche and Sanchez? Dump Sanchez now and throw Delwyn Young out there more often. Then put pearce or moss at first.

I think the freefall has begun. Earlier in the year we were losing more games that we should've lost, now we are losing ones that we should win. We could have a 6 run lead and it isn't safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:09 am 

This happens every year. I wonder if the team starts to give up every year at the first sign of a losing streak.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:15 am 

Ryann wrote:
This happens every year. I wonder if the team starts to give up every year at the first sign of a losing streak.

It seems like most still play hard, if it is anybody i think it is some of the pitchers. They could be thinking i'm not getting traded, i'm not winning the Cy Young, so why should i risk injury to give it my all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 am 

If getting swept by the Rockies this month is a sign of a free fall then there are a lot of teams free falling right now, including the Brewers, the Mariners and the Cardinals (4 game sweep).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:55 pm 

You're right, all is not lost yet. Four games does not make a season. But we have been in this position several times at this point of the season and just died for several weeks. This is the key time- from now til All-Star break. If we don't play considerably better in these weeks, all interest in this season will be gone.

Then we'll just watch for trades, and minor league developments until the season grinds to an end. I don't want to go there again. Just a little hope would keep interest up. Things are not pointing in the right direction right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:15 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
If getting swept by the Rockies this month is a sign of a free fall then there are a lot of teams free falling right now, including the Brewers, the Mariners and the Cardinals (4 game sweep).

Those teams are also all above .500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:35 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Last year I would have said yes... think of the ChiSox "Batting Practice" series.

This year, not so fast. These are games that are being lost, that the Buccos' have either kept close, or quite frankly should have won.

So, no, not yet. If the mistakes continue to compound and continue, I suspect so. If they correct themselves, then you can battle back to keep close to .500 and be competative.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:42 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

The point is that getting swept by any team, whether it's the Rockies or even the Nationals, does not spell the doom of a team's season. Many teams will have losing streaks and winning streaks, but those streaks do not determine how good the team is. At the end of the day, what matters is the seasonal record.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:09 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

The point is that getting swept by any team, whether it's the Rockies or even the Nationals, does not spell the doom of a team's season. Many teams will have losing streaks and winning streaks, but those streaks do not determine how good the team is. At the end of the day, what matters is the seasonal record.

I think the problem is how far below .500 we are falling right now, that is what i was trying to say about the other teams being above .500. It doesn't hurt them as bad as it hurts us right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:15 pm 

If the team had a capable manager , they wouldn't be losing all these winnable games.
Hey small market Johnnie, ever hear the expression 4 out save?. It's not a new concept, you should think about it some time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Not saying it's sour grapes, but we wouldn't be contending anyways. I agree that the signs of a freefall are there, but they were also there, last month. Let's see how their record shapes up over the next two weeks. If it's something like 3-11, then I agree: we should lower the Jolly Roger and replace it with a white surrender flag.

And yeah...I know we have some interleague games and the Cubs coming up. That looks bad, but consider that we've got a lengthy homestand. I really think, as fans, these next two weeks will either kill us or excite us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:06 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

Seasonal record is most important? You have said mulitple times seasonal record means nothing and all that matters is if the team has a stockpile of talent or makes the playoffs.

Many years the Pirates have fell of at this point of the season and I really hope it isn't that way this year I really had hopes when they were only 3 games under .500.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:55 pm 

I pronounce it in full swing.