Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alvarez to Altoona (Curve can you confirm?)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 pm 

And "passing on high level draft picks" ?

Have you heard of Pedro Alvarez? You are one clueless kid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:20 pm 

Ryann wrote:
But you don't open your eyes and see the pirates are pulling the same shit as the last 17 years.
I quote bullish.
"Low payroll, trading better players for has beens and prospects...the trend continues."

Name one - ONE - "has been" that Huntington acquired in the Nady/Marte, Bay, or McLouth deals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Your a dumbass - Ryann

You mean, "You're a dumb ass" ?

Better spend some more time in English class, instead of on this board. Like I said before, bitching for the sake of bitching. Publisher's Clearing House could probably show up at your door with a $1,000,000 check and you would bitch that it wasn't enough.

He'd probably bitch wondering why Ed McMahon didnt deliver it himself

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
But you don't open your eyes and see the pirates are pulling the same shit as the last 17 years.
I quote bullish.
"Low payroll, trading better players for has beens and prospects...the trend continues."

Name one - ONE - "has been" that Huntington acquired in the Nady/Marte, Bay, or McLouth deals.

Andy Laroche dropped down as a prospect and his value fell when the pirates got him.
Brandon Moss is one too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:52 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Andy Laroche dropped down as a prospect and his value fell when the pirates got him.
Brandon Moss is one too.

You are just embarrassing yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 pm 

You just can't come up with a valid argument :lol:
Give up I have proven case by case and proven you wrong but you can't do the same

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:28 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Give up I have proven case by case and proven you wrong but you can't do the same

You haven't proven anything. You just think you have. You use false facts to support your baseless arguments. If that's winning an argument, then I question the intelligence of the judge.

In order to be a "has-been," a player has to at one point been a valuable player. Examples of these are Sean Casey, Jason Kendall, Jason Giambi, and any player who has had some measurable success in the majors. Neither Andy LaRoche nor Brandon Moss could have qualified for such a label when the Pirates acquired them because they had no measurable amount of experience at the major league level. It's hard to be a "has-been" when you've never been given an opportunity to be one.

Seriously, Ryann, stop making stuff up.

Last edited by Willton on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Okay, imbecile, let me pose the following:

Andy Laroche and Brandon Moss were not "has beens" when traded to the Pirates in 2008.

And what facts do I have to support my position (besides the glaringly obvious that these guys were in their mid-20's when dealt and could not be, by definition, "has beens")?

Well, both were listed as top prospects for their respective clubs:

As of April 1, 2008:

DODGERS TOP TEN PROSPECTS
1. Clayton, Kershaw, lhp
2. Andy LaRoche, 3b
3. Chin-Lung Hu, ss
4. Scott Elbert, lhp
5. Blake DeWitt, 3b
6. Chris Withrow, rhp
7. James McDonald, rhp
8. Jonathan Meloan, rhp
9. Delwyn Young, of
10. Pedro Baez, 3b

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 65295.html

Boston Red Sox Top 10 Prospects for 2008
1. Clay Buchholz, RHSP, MLB.
2. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF, MLB.
3. Lars Anderson, 1B, A+.
4. Justin Masterson, RHSP, AA.
5. Jed Lowrie, SS, AAA.
6. Michael Bowden, RHSP, AA.
7. Oscar Tejeda, SS, A-.
8. Ryan Kalish, OF, A-.
9. Nick Hagadone, LHSP, A-.
10. Brandon Moss, OF, MLB. Moss projects as a fourth outfielder and will be that in 2008. Moss is athletic, quick and boasts one of the strongest outfield arms in the system. He has good on-base skills and a good approach.

http://www.moundtalk.com/prospects/bost ... ects-2008/

Has-beens do not make "top prospect" lists. If this is too complicated for you to understand, have your baby sitter explain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:01 pm 

Moss is already a has been
The red sox gave up nothing for bay but moss and a relief pitcher. A smart gm would have gotten the red sox to give more which I believe would have been possible.
That list you gave proves my point that the Bay deal was a terrible move for the Pirates :lol:
A number 2 prospect in a team and a number 10. Then 2 scrubs.
We got 3 scrubs and an average 3rd basemen for a all star outfielder.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:09 pm 

Think pig boys.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:32 pm 

Ryann wrote:
The red sox gave up nothing for bay but moss and a relief pitcher.

There was some rumor that the Red Sox also traded an outfielder in that deal. Not sure if that is true, as the OF'er was some unknown.

Ryann wrote:
That list you gave proves my point that the Bay deal was a terrible move for the Pirates :lol:

I don't why I bother providing facts in response to your blatant misstatements and ignorant mistakes, but here we go yet again.

The Pirates received in exchange for Jason Bay the Dodgers number 2 (Laroche) prospect, and a guy who was highly rated before the TJ surgery (Morris). After his performance in 2008, Morris became the Pirates' 4th best prospect.

1) Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Grade A-:
2) Andrew McCutchen, OF, Grade B+:
3) Jose Tabata, OF, Grade B+:
4) Bryan Morris, RHP, Grade B-: An aggressive grade from me, but I’m impressed by how well he did one year after TJ surgery.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/1/1 ... tes-top-20

The Pirates also received the Red Sox' 10th best propect coming into 2008 (Moss), and a pitcher who was ranked as high as the 4th best prospect in the organization in 2006 and 8th best in 2007 (Hansen). Hansen also was cited as having the best slider in the Sox' organization.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Craig-Hansen.shtml

Your personal opinions about these players have no weight at all. None. You don't have enough information to offer an intelligent or well-supported opinion.

The reason that I and others refer to links, articles, observations by scouts, etc. is because those observations have some basis. Yours, on the other hand, do not.

So once again, you are proven wrong. But I do not expect a small matter like facts to stand in the way of your personal opinions.

P.S. Knee-jerk reactions like yours would have led to the conclusion in 2008 that Zach Duke "sux" and should be demoted or released. Your present worship of Zach Duke is comical, in light of his past struggles and the manner in which you treat players who are struggling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:42 pm 

I was going to provide facts in this argument too but I'm thinking that I gave up trying to provide facts for those that won't listen for lent permanently :).

I was hard on Andy at the beginning of this year but the fact is he has the 4th highest UZR at 3rd base in the NL, and that includes the errors the other night. He is better than average and could easily project to an All-Star in the next 2-3 years. Is that worth Bay? Probably not, but it's far from nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 pm 

Where did they grow this mouth breather called Ryann?

Ryann in grade school

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:34 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
I was going to provide facts in this argument too but I'm thinking that I gave up trying to provide facts for those that won't listen for lent permanently :).

I was hard on Andy at the beginning of this year but the fact is he has the 4th highest UZR at 3rd base in the NL, and that includes the errors the other night. He is better than average and could easily project to an All-Star in the next 2-3 years. Is that worth Bay? Probably not, but it's far from nothing.

But that is the whole point of the argument. These people think we got a good return for jason bay but they are too stupid to see we didn't get our moneys worth.
Moss is terrible.
Morris is a project and it's a long shot for him to be good.
Hansen is terrible.
Laroche is far from being called good.
I will even give him average defense and average offense and he hasn't hit many homeruns which is nice to see from a 3rd basemen.

And for that we gave up All star Jason Bay who is a top 5 player in the league this season and is an Al Mvp Canidate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:38 pm 

For one,

- Moss isn't terrible. He's young and has talent.
- Morris is not a "long shot". The guy is a highly touted prospect.
- LaRoche has been very good the last couple of months.
- Hansen may be a bust. Time will tell

Do I miss Jason? Sure.

But you have to grasp a concept here. You give up something to get something. He was trade bait and we got a lot of players in return that have done pretty well.

Would you like to discuss the Nady trade?

I'll bet you don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
The red sox gave up nothing for bay but moss and a relief pitcher.

There was some rumor that the Red Sox also traded an outfielder in that deal. Not sure if that is true, as the OF'er was some unknown.

Ryann wrote:

I don't why I bother providing facts in response to your blatant misstatements and ignorant mistakes, but here we go yet again.

The Pirates received in exchange for Jason Bay the Dodgers number 2 (Laroche) prospect, and a guy who was highly rated before the TJ surgery (Morris). After his performance in 2008, Morris became the Pirates' 4th best prospect.

1) Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Grade A-:
2) Andrew McCutchen, OF, Grade B+:
3) Jose Tabata, OF, Grade B+:
4) Bryan Morris, RHP, Grade B-: An aggressive grade from me, but I’m impressed by how well he did one year after TJ surgery.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/1/1 ... tes-top-20

The Pirates also received the Red Sox' 10th best propect coming into 2008 (Moss), and a pitcher who was ranked as high as the 4th best prospect in the organization in 2006 and 8th best in 2007 (Hansen). Hansen also was cited as having the best slider in the Sox' organization.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Craig-Hansen.shtml

Your personal opinions about these players have no weight at all. None. You don't have enough information to offer an intelligent or well-supported opinion.

The reason that I and others refer to links, articles, observations by scouts, etc. is because those observations have some basis. Yours, on the other hand, do not.

So once again, you are proven wrong. But I do not expect a small matter like facts to stand in the way of your personal opinions.

P.S. Knee-jerk reactions like yours would have led to the conclusion in 2008 that Zach Duke "sux" and should be demoted or released. Your present worship of Zach Duke is comical, in light of his past struggles and the manner in which you treat players who are struggling.

First regarding your "ps". Never have I thought Duke should be demoted or released he had proven that he can perform in the majors after his amazing rookie season. The struggles after that season where evident that he got a lot of bad breaks and was close to coming back to great form.

Now.
I would love to declare something. Being a top 10 prospect in an organization means....NOTHING. You could have a farm system that sucks and people could be rated in the top 10. Quit bringing up bull shit like that cause it means nothing.
Regarding your first sarcastic statement. Where you said about the red sox also gave up an outfielder...I clearly put moss name in that statement you were talking about which proves you are a total dumbass.
SO.
Hanen being the 2006 top 10 prospect in redsox means nothing. Why? Because that was 3 years ago, he is a relief pitcher, can't stay healthy, and has proven nothing in the major leagues except that he can suck.
Moss sucks
Morris is a longshot to ever have success. After already having an arm surgery at such an early age he cannot be considered a great prospect.
Here is a list for you 2007 pirates top prospects.
Just the top 3 are still considered good prospects while on is somewhat degressed in walker.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 63244.html

Moss has proven he can hit 260 provide no speed or power and can be an average defender. Not what I want on my team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Regarding your first sarcastic statement. Where you said about the red sox also gave up an outfielder...I clearly put moss name in that statement you were talking about which proves you are a total dumbass.

Glad I peeked at this one. Ryann, I may have to take you off of ignore if you keep being this entertaining!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:49 pm 

Still quiet on the Nady trade, huh Ryann?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 pm 

El puerco mi amigos. El puerco.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:54 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Wow, that went straight over your head, didn't it Ryann? Bucfan was talking about Manny Ramirez. Remember him? The Sox gave up Manny Ramirez in order to get Jason Bay. Or did you not notice that Manny is wearing a blue uniform nowadays?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next