Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:24 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 475
I know many here talk about Adam LaRoche being traded. But, seriously, who would be interested in him... especially among contenders? LaRoche ranks below 20th in most all statistical categories as a 1b. The only team I can think of is possibly the Mets with Delgado's injury. I know Adam puts up ok power numbers (especially after he gets hot), but as a 1B they're not very good. Maybe some team has a 1B they can move to DH or maybe another injury occurs to make him a bit of a commodity, but I don't see us getting much for LaRoche.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I know many here talk about Adam LaRoche being traded. But, seriously, who would be interested in him... especially among contenders? LaRoche ranks below 20th in most all statistical categories as a 1b. The only team I can think of is possibly the Mets with Delgado's injury. I know Adam puts up ok power numbers (especially after he gets hot), but as a 1B they're not very good. Maybe some team has a 1B they can move to DH or maybe another injury occurs to make him a bit of a commodity, but I don't see us getting much for LaRoche.


That does bring up a good point of who. I think it will be a team that needs somebody to help them in a playoff race, not a leader. I also don't believe in trading a player to somebody in your own division so i am leaving out all the NL central teams.

Here are my thoughts on who might want Adam.
The Mets(Delgado is hurt and Adam is a slight upgrade to Daniel Murphy).
The Blue Jays(Millar is their DH, and Adam would bring a great upgrade there).
The Tigers(Also would be used more as a DH there).
The Rangers( They could use him but i don't know where he would fit in since they switch everybody around all the time).
The Braves could use him because they are having trouble at 1st but it is hard for me to see him going back to the Braves, also i think if it would have been the Braves he would've gone with Nate.
and the last team is the Giants( If they think they are really going to make a playoff push they could use him but i doubt they would.
So i have it down to 6 teams and 4 that i think are decent chances.
Also after looking over teams i think the Rays could really want Freddy and they have alot to give up also, they have deep minors.


Top
 
 Post subject: The Pirates...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
The Pirates need Adam LaRoche, because they have no other options there.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7102
Dont count out Boston as a place Adam might end up...Ortiz has stunk the joint up and Lowell has been injury prone...

They might need a 1st baseman/DH if Ortiz cant get it together or if Youkilis is needed at 3rd base

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
nad69dan wrote:
Dont count out Boston as a place Adam might end up...Ortiz has stunk the joint up and Lowell has been injury prone...

They might need a 1st baseman/DH if Ortiz cant get it together or if Youkilis is needed at 3rd base

As bad as Ortiz has been, I think the Sox will ride out the season with Ortiz as the primary DH and not try to replace him. They have way too much money devoted to Ortiz to just cast it aside for a player of LaRoche's caliber.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Dont count out Boston as a place Adam might end up...Ortiz has stunk the joint up and Lowell has been injury prone...

They might need a 1st baseman/DH if Ortiz cant get it together or if Youkilis is needed at 3rd base

As bad as Ortiz has been, I think the Sox will ride out the season with Ortiz as the primary DH and not try to replace him. They have way too much money devoted to Ortiz to just cast it aside for a player of LaRoche's caliber.


They haven't really struggled throughout Ortiz's struggles.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Boston
Colin21 wrote:
Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Dont count out Boston as a place Adam might end up...Ortiz has stunk the joint up and Lowell has been injury prone...

They might need a 1st baseman/DH if Ortiz cant get it together or if Youkilis is needed at 3rd base

As bad as Ortiz has been, I think the Sox will ride out the season with Ortiz as the primary DH and not try to replace him. They have way too much money devoted to Ortiz to just cast it aside for a player of LaRoche's caliber.


They haven't really struggled throughout Ortiz's struggles.


I don't think Boston would want him. Ortiz has been doing well over the last 20 games and Boston is IMO the best team in baseball even w/ a struggling Ortiz. I think it will be very hard to trade LaRoche for any real value given his stats and the fact that he is a free agent at the end of the year. I'm not sure I think the Pirates should/will trade him because I don't see any real value coming from him. I know you are not expecting much, but those that think we are going to get anything for him other then a mid-level (at best) prospect are going to be very disappointed.

_________________
Yinzers uber alles


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
BostonBuc wrote:

I don't think Boston would want him. Ortiz has been doing well over the last 20 games and Boston is IMO the best team in baseball even w/ a struggling Ortiz. I think it will be very hard to trade LaRoche for any real value given his stats and the fact that he is a free agent at the end of the year. I'm not sure I think the Pirates should/will trade him because I don't see any real value coming from him. I know you are not expecting much, but those that think we are going to get anything for him other then a mid-level (at best) prospect are going to be very disappointed.


I would have said Boston might have had an interest in LaRoche had Papi's struggles continued through the All-Star break. However, Ortiz has an OPS of almost 1.000 in June, so I think that nixes any chance of LaRoche going to Beantown. The Sox only have a need for a defensive SS upgrade, which means Jack is a possibility to be traded there.

How about the Angels? Kendry Morales hasn't had eye-popping numbers at 1B, and it looks like you can stick a fork in Vlad Guerrero. The Dodgers also have an offensive need at 1B, but I don't think they'd give up on Loney. I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
jaybee24 wrote:
I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.

Only if LaRoche had a no-trade clause. I'm not sure Cali teams take into consideration the home state of the players they acquire.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:14 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Louisiana
jaybee24 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

I don't think Boston would want him. Ortiz has been doing well over the last 20 games and Boston is IMO the best team in baseball even w/ a struggling Ortiz. I think it will be very hard to trade LaRoche for any real value given his stats and the fact that he is a free agent at the end of the year. I'm not sure I think the Pirates should/will trade him because I don't see any real value coming from him. I know you are not expecting much, but those that think we are going to get anything for him other then a mid-level (at best) prospect are going to be very disappointed.


I would have said Boston might have had an interest in LaRoche had Papi's struggles continued through the All-Star break. However, Ortiz has an OPS of almost 1.000 in June, so I think that nixes any chance of LaRoche going to Beantown. The Sox only have a need for a defensive SS upgrade, which means Jack is a possibility to be traded there.

How about the Angels? Kendry Morales hasn't had eye-popping numbers at 1B, and it looks like you can stick a fork in Vlad Guerrero. The Dodgers also have an offensive need at 1B, but I don't think they'd give up on Loney. I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.


Adam may have been born in California...but he was raised in Kansas. He was born in 1979...Andy was born in 1983...and he was born in Ft. Scott, Kansas. The same town where Adam went to community college.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:31 am
Posts: 52
I disagree with the statement that we dont have anyone to take his place at first. E. Hinske could do a decent job holding down the position for the rest of the year. I also believe G. Jones could be a decent 1b for us. He would be a little more consistent then Adam is. Dont forget, when Adam gets hot, he is a top 10 1b in the National league. It is just suffering through these slumps that makes you want to jump off one of the bridges in Pittsburgh.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1509
I agree about Hinske.

If we can get anything decent for LaRoche, I say bye bye.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
Willton wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:
I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.

Only if LaRoche had a no-trade clause. I'm not sure Cali teams take into consideration the home state of the players they acquire.


The only reason it may come into play is with an elite player that the home town team believed they could re-sign in the winter. I think that you're right that it almost certainly will not come into play, with Adam not being elite and not having a no-trade clause. The Angels are kind of a long shot anyway...their biggest need is at DH if Vlad doesn't turn it around, and with the money that they are willing to spend, they can probably get a much better bat than Adam's at the deadline to fill that spot.

I was unaware the LaRoches were raised in Kansas...I always chalked up Adam' April struggles to the weather. There goes that theory.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Az Bucco fan, buccosfan77, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], No. 9 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits