Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:24 am 

I know many here talk about Adam LaRoche being traded. But, seriously, who would be interested in him... especially among contenders? LaRoche ranks below 20th in most all statistical categories as a 1b. The only team I can think of is possibly the Mets with Delgado's injury. I know Adam puts up ok power numbers (especially after he gets hot), but as a 1B they're not very good. Maybe some team has a 1B they can move to DH or maybe another injury occurs to make him a bit of a commodity, but I don't see us getting much for LaRoche.

Post subject: Re: Who Needs Adam LaRoche??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:53 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I know many here talk about Adam LaRoche being traded. But, seriously, who would be interested in him... especially among contenders? LaRoche ranks below 20th in most all statistical categories as a 1b. The only team I can think of is possibly the Mets with Delgado's injury. I know Adam puts up ok power numbers (especially after he gets hot), but as a 1B they're not very good. Maybe some team has a 1B they can move to DH or maybe another injury occurs to make him a bit of a commodity, but I don't see us getting much for LaRoche.

That does bring up a good point of who. I think it will be a team that needs somebody to help them in a playoff race, not a leader. I also don't believe in trading a player to somebody in your own division so i am leaving out all the NL central teams.

Here are my thoughts on who might want Adam.
The Mets(Delgado is hurt and Adam is a slight upgrade to Daniel Murphy).
The Blue Jays(Millar is their DH, and Adam would bring a great upgrade there).
The Tigers(Also would be used more as a DH there).
The Rangers( They could use him but i don't know where he would fit in since they switch everybody around all the time).
The Braves could use him because they are having trouble at 1st but it is hard for me to see him going back to the Braves, also i think if it would have been the Braves he would've gone with Nate.
and the last team is the Giants( If they think they are really going to make a playoff push they could use him but i doubt they would.
So i have it down to 6 teams and 4 that i think are decent chances.
Also after looking over teams i think the Rays could really want Freddy and they have alot to give up also, they have deep minors.

Post subject: The Pirates...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:11 pm 

The Pirates need Adam LaRoche, because they have no other options there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:32 pm 

Dont count out Boston as a place Adam might end up...Ortiz has stunk the joint up and Lowell has been injury prone...

They might need a 1st baseman/DH if Ortiz cant get it together or if Youkilis is needed at 3rd base

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:16 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Dont count out Boston as a place Adam might end up...Ortiz has stunk the joint up and Lowell has been injury prone...

They might need a 1st baseman/DH if Ortiz cant get it together or if Youkilis is needed at 3rd base

As bad as Ortiz has been, I think the Sox will ride out the season with Ortiz as the primary DH and not try to replace him. They have way too much money devoted to Ortiz to just cast it aside for a player of LaRoche's caliber.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:42 pm 

Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

As bad as Ortiz has been, I think the Sox will ride out the season with Ortiz as the primary DH and not try to replace him. They have way too much money devoted to Ortiz to just cast it aside for a player of LaRoche's caliber.

They haven't really struggled throughout Ortiz's struggles.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:14 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

They haven't really struggled throughout Ortiz's struggles.

I don't think Boston would want him. Ortiz has been doing well over the last 20 games and Boston is IMO the best team in baseball even w/ a struggling Ortiz. I think it will be very hard to trade LaRoche for any real value given his stats and the fact that he is a free agent at the end of the year. I'm not sure I think the Pirates should/will trade him because I don't see any real value coming from him. I know you are not expecting much, but those that think we are going to get anything for him other then a mid-level (at best) prospect are going to be very disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:38 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:

I don't think Boston would want him. Ortiz has been doing well over the last 20 games and Boston is IMO the best team in baseball even w/ a struggling Ortiz. I think it will be very hard to trade LaRoche for any real value given his stats and the fact that he is a free agent at the end of the year. I'm not sure I think the Pirates should/will trade him because I don't see any real value coming from him. I know you are not expecting much, but those that think we are going to get anything for him other then a mid-level (at best) prospect are going to be very disappointed.

I would have said Boston might have had an interest in LaRoche had Papi's struggles continued through the All-Star break. However, Ortiz has an OPS of almost 1.000 in June, so I think that nixes any chance of LaRoche going to Beantown. The Sox only have a need for a defensive SS upgrade, which means Jack is a possibility to be traded there.

How about the Angels? Kendry Morales hasn't had eye-popping numbers at 1B, and it looks like you can stick a fork in Vlad Guerrero. The Dodgers also have an offensive need at 1B, but I don't think they'd give up on Loney. I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:40 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.

Only if LaRoche had a no-trade clause. I'm not sure Cali teams take into consideration the home state of the players they acquire.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

I would have said Boston might have had an interest in LaRoche had Papi's struggles continued through the All-Star break. However, Ortiz has an OPS of almost 1.000 in June, so I think that nixes any chance of LaRoche going to Beantown. The Sox only have a need for a defensive SS upgrade, which means Jack is a possibility to be traded there.

How about the Angels? Kendry Morales hasn't had eye-popping numbers at 1B, and it looks like you can stick a fork in Vlad Guerrero. The Dodgers also have an offensive need at 1B, but I don't think they'd give up on Loney. I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.

Adam may have been born in California...but he was raised in Kansas. He was born in 1979...Andy was born in 1983...and he was born in Ft. Scott, Kansas. The same town where Adam went to community college.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:01 am 

I disagree with the statement that we dont have anyone to take his place at first. E. Hinske could do a decent job holding down the position for the rest of the year. I also believe G. Jones could be a decent 1b for us. He would be a little more consistent then Adam is. Dont forget, when Adam gets hot, he is a top 10 1b in the National league. It is just suffering through these slumps that makes you want to jump off one of the bridges in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:29 pm 

I agree about Hinske.

If we can get anything decent for LaRoche, I say bye bye.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 am 

Willton wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:
I don't know if the geography of these teams would make a trade any more likely given that Adam is from California.

Only if LaRoche had a no-trade clause. I'm not sure Cali teams take into consideration the home state of the players they acquire.

The only reason it may come into play is with an elite player that the home town team believed they could re-sign in the winter. I think that you're right that it almost certainly will not come into play, with Adam not being elite and not having a no-trade clause. The Angels are kind of a long shot anyway...their biggest need is at DH if Vlad doesn't turn it around, and with the money that they are willing to spend, they can probably get a much better bat than Adam's at the deadline to fill that spot.

I was unaware the LaRoches were raised in Kansas...I always chalked up Adam' April struggles to the weather. There goes that theory.