Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official Greg Picart thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:31 am 

# 7 Gregory Picart - West Virginia Power switch hitting second baseman

Greg Picart was drafted from a high school in Puerto Rico by the Pirates in the 23rd round of the 2003 draft. After playing one year at Miami Dade Community College he signed in 2004.

He spent two years at Bradenton and moved up to short season Williamsport in 2006. He hit .223 in 123 AB. He was used at 2B, 3B and SS. He displayed no power at the plate.. has been adequate defensively throughout his minor league career.

Promoted to Lynchburg in 2007, playing semi-regularly due to injuries to Shelby Ford and others. Hit .236 (61-258) with five homers, 13 RBI. He played both middle infield positions and a little OF.

Greg returned to Lynchburg in 2008 as a utility player but started 0 for 30 at the plate.. hit .148 (12 for 81) and was demoted to Hickory. He was the Crawdads' starting secondbaseman in July and August when Matt Cavagnaro moved up to Lynchburg (that's when I first saw him play at Lake County.) He hit .253 for the Crawdads.

OK so he is NOT a prospect and maybe he doesn't "deserve" his own official thread, but I like the guy's defense. His average has improved this season at West Virginia, .274 in 134 AB. He hasn't played in a game since July 11 though. I don't think he is hurt.. manager Gary Green has been starting catcher-turned infielder Danny Bomback who has responded by hitting .164.

Greg was actually born in Paterson, New Jersey.. "the Silk City" (give it up for your homie, Econo!) and will turn 24 this September.

Attachments:
Greg Picart 7.jpg
Greg Picart 7.jpg [ 155.54 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]

Post subject: Re: Official Greg Picart thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:14 am 

What made you choose Greg Picart as your adopted minor leaguer?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:59 pm 

Yeah, Patterson's a rough city. I don't recommend visiting there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:05 am 

Colin, I root for underdogs, guys who have been around a while. Last year Hickory had a Dominican pitcher who had been in the Pirates system for eight years!! Eight years and he was still not even to advanced A ball.

Picart made two very good defensive plays in the game that I saw last year. He was hitting leadoff for the Power in the game I saw this year. His manager said he is showing more discipline at the plate. If he doesn't get promoted again after this season his days could be numbered. The Pirates may want to move infielders from State College up to West Virginia (recent signees.)

Willton, is Rahway Prison in that city? I remember a boxer who did time there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 am 

Would that be Bobby Dylan's favorite boxer/song subject Ruben "Hurricane" Carter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:43 am 

Ollie wrote:
Colin, I root for underdogs, guys who have been around a while. Last year Hickory had a Dominican pitcher who had been in the Pirates system for eight years!! Eight years and he was still not even to advanced A ball.

Picart made two very good defensive plays in the game that I saw last year. He was hitting leadoff for the Power in the game I saw this year. His manager said he is showing more discipline at the plate. If he doesn't get promoted again after this season his days could be numbered. The Pirates may want to move infielders from State College up to West Virginia (recent signees.)

Rahway doesn't exist anymore. They changed the name of it i believe to East Jersey State Prison because people in the town didn't like it being called Rahway, and yes Rubin Carter was in there, he was also in Trenton State Prison.
I think i got this right but Wilton can clarify my information up if i am wrong on any of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:49 am 

Ollie wrote:

No, Rahway Prison is in (suprise!) Rahway, NJ. The jail that's in Paterson is Passaic County Jail, which has been the subject of a class-action lawsuit and a good deal of contempt from the federal judiciary in NJ.