Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ticket Question
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 pm 

Hello, I was just hoping people here may give me some advice for a question I have.

I will be traveling through Pittsburgh in June and will be in town when the Pirates host the Blue Jays. I've never been to PNC Park or Pittsburgh, but was hoping to attend a game. Is it fairly easy to find people selling tickets outside of the stadium for reasonable maybe even more than reasonable prices.... I see Pirates games on TV, I know PNC is rarely very full------Just wondering what the best thing to do may be.. Also, parking tips?? Things to do in Pittsburgh??

Post subject: Re: Ticket Question
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:22 pm 

If you are going on a week night, you should not have a problem. You may get tickets for less than face. Weekends and promo nights, you'll want to pre order.
As far as what to do in Pgh, it depends on you. How old are you and will you be with a spouse and or kids too?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm 

jonez21 wrote:
Hello, I was just hoping people here may give me some advice for a question I have.

I will be traveling through Pittsburgh in June and will be in town when the Pirates host the Blue Jays. I've never been to PNC Park or Pittsburgh, but was hoping to attend a game. Is it fairly easy to find people selling tickets outside of the stadium for reasonable maybe even more than reasonable prices.... I see Pirates games on TV, I know PNC is rarely very full------Just wondering what the best thing to do may be.. Also, parking tips?? Things to do in Pittsburgh??

Too bad its a weekend series...you'll still find tickets below face value on the street though. Were it a weekday series, and you were willing to wait right up until 7:05, I guarantee you would find someone trying to give away tickets for free.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:37 pm 

Hey thanks.. I actually did go ahead and pre-order.. I figured 12$ after tax and stuff wasn't a bad price for the bleachers...

Anyway, I'm 23 and I'll be traveling along with my girlfriend and one of my other friends. He's 22 and she's 21... So we will all have about the same interests.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:48 pm 

Parking tip... will depend on where you stay. If you stay in or near downtown Pgh, you can walk to the Park. If you dont, it depends on where you are staying for an easy way to get in/out from the North Shore.
Make sure you go to Mt Washington for a great view. Go at night. For night life, go to the South Side..all kinds of bars/clubs. If you like the outdoors, go to Ohio Pyle....you can ride bikes, hike or go wjite water raftings. If you go rafting, you should make a reservation ahead of time. The 3 rivers arts fest. is on in June. There may be some free concerts. at Point Park. As far as where to stay/go/do...whats the budget and time frame?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd also recommend taking the Pirates Ferry. It departs from Station Square at the base of Mt. Washington. It can be a bit a pricey for 2 or 3 people, but it's worth it if you're a visitor. It takes you along the waterfront and you get to see a great view of downtown Pittsburgh. (ahem... girlfriends dig it). Call ahead or do some Googling on the Ferry. I did it when I went to PNC in 2004 and thought it was a fun, unexpected attraction.

Also, I'd recommend getting some driving directions to Station Square. It's tough to get to if you're coming out of the Fort Pitt tunnels into downtown Pittsburgh (especially for us out-of-towners).

Another tip (to add on to Bullish's info): Mt. Washington has the inclines. Those are pretty unique and worth a quick visit. At the top of Mt. Washington and next to the incline station is an excellent view of the city. Picture taking central.

So maybe go early, hang out at Station Square for a bit, take the incline up and down Mt. Washington, then take the Ferry over to PNC?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

As an out-of-towner myself all I can say is...Fort-Pitt Tunnel. It is an amazing drive!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I could have sold you my seats for the entire series at a below face value price. I'm going to be out of town that weekend.

I just read that you had 2 other friends coming...I only have 2 tickets...never mind.