Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIRE RUSSELL NOW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 am 

I am sick and tired of his mis managing of baseball games, I could puke. WHY NOT USE CAPPS??? TRACY USED STREET. THESE ARE WINNABLE GAMES, A WIN TONIGHT WOULD HAVE PUT THEM 5 GAMES BACK! I CAN NOT STAND HIS CRAP ANY LONGER. Inexcusable to lose games like this.

Post subject: Re: FIRE RUSSELL NOW
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:24 am 

As for game strategy ... managers of the home team use the closer in tie games in the top of the 9th, since there will not be a "save" opportunity in the game for the home team. Managers of visiting teams typically use other bullpen members until the closer is the last reliever left, in the event the visiting team takes the lead.

We can debate the wisdom of this tactic, but basically every manager in the majors uses it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:40 am 

DoeyDoumit wrote:
I am sick and tired of his mis managing of baseball games, I could puke. WHY NOT USE CAPPS??? TRACY USED STREET. THESE ARE WINNABLE GAMES, A WIN TONIGHT WOULD HAVE PUT THEM 5 GAMES BACK! I CAN NOT STAND HIS CRAP ANY LONGER. Inexcusable to lose games like this.

Because Grabow and Chavez didn't do their jobs??

If you want to blame the manager because he used his closer like every manager in baseball would, that's a little harsh.

Every player has a role. Today Grabow and Chavez didn't do their jobs. You cannot blame the manager for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:04 am 

Animal wrote:
DoeyDoumit wrote:

Because Grabow and Chavez didn't do their jobs??

If you want to blame the manager because he used his closer like every manager in baseball would, that's a little harsh.

Every player has a role. Today Grabow and Chavez didn't do their jobs. You cannot blame the manager for that.

I will blame Russell for not using players for match ups enough. He trys to save to many pitcher. I understand he wants to keep them fresh, but sometimes they can be used more than 2 times a week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:53 am 

I can't stand this era of baseball.. managers hope to get six innings out of their starter and anything can happen after that. This game involved a rookie starter so I understand why he worked only five innings, but baseball was sooo much better back in the day. Chuck Tanner would regularly get seven innings from his starter and then bring in his relievers. Everyone in our bullpen was a veteran. Young relief pitchers (your Rod Scurrys) weren't used so often.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:23 am 

Ollie wrote:
I can't stand this era of baseball.. managers hope to get six innings out of their starter and anything can happen after that. This game involved a rookie starter so I understand why he worked only five innings, but baseball was sooo much better back in the day. Chuck Tanner would regularly get seven innings from his starter and then bring in his relievers. Everyone in our bullpen was a veteran. Young relief pitchers (your Rod Scurrys) weren't used so often.

Alot of our bullpen is young guys. Some my age or just a couple years older than me. I don't understand why these guys can't pitch more than 2 or 3 times in a 7 game week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:34 pm 

It
Is pretty sad, when you can't get your team up to win 1 game out of 3.

But then again , Small Market Johnnie, is at the wheel, so no matter who or what he sends up to the plate, or to the mound, the situation will tend to go in the Failure mode.

He is a terrible game/day manager.
He doesn't take up a high percentage of the payroll, nor is he a pending free agent.
Trading him for even a low level prospect would be a steal.I am joking , though i am talking about SMJ.
Hey didn't Chuck Tanner come in a trade?, why can't the pirates listen to offers for Russell.
It's pretty sad when you let a guy like Tracy out manage you most of the weekend.
The other times, while Tracy was napping in the dugout, SMJ just made the stupid(or didn't make it) move while Tracy sat on the bench, laughing..
I just hope, no more contract extensions for this guy. Let's play this out, and hopefully by sometime next year he will get the door , like he truly deserves.

The next Pirates manager should be Andy Van Slyke, no question about it. He has been learning from the best, it's his time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:47 pm 

Don't know if JR is unlucky or not good at player selection for rest.

He seems to take guys out of the line-up when they're having success. Today he rests Morgan who tore it up yesterday. All those hitless days and he played him time after time. I wanted him rested but I guess he knew better???

Moss has played very little lately but has after being benched come to life. He hit 5 for 8 in the last three (one as a PH). Today he has a great battle as a PH and guess what gets a hit and a RBI. In case we forget he hit .307 in May after a lousy April. And I checked that Righty/lefty thing and found that for the season he is .006 ppoints worse against lefties. So, that holds little water.

He insists on playing bench guys to keep them fresh and we continue to lose most of those games cause they don't hit. Exception was Young but he looks to be cooling off now and hell he can't play defense at all, anywhere.

I like JR's approach and think he has put together a good staff but I'm not so sure he's the one to lead us out of the cellar. I say the jury is still out.