Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tanner Scheppers -- Partially Torn Labrum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:13 pm 

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Apparently some team doctors who checked Scheppers out believe that he will need surgery. Labrum surgery usually sounds the death knell of pitching careers.

Post subject: Re: Tanner Scheppers -- Partially Torn Labrum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 pm 

Willton wrote:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090618&content_id=5392254&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Apparently some team doctors who checked Scheppers out believe that he will need surgery. Labrum surgery usually sounds the death knell of pitching careers.

And the silence from the Peanut Gallery is deafening . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:49 pm 

Does anyone remember what specifically they thought his problem was last season when he lost velocity and we thought he was hurt after the front office saw him throw? Last I heard before the draft this year, he was throwing 98mph in his last start. Then he slipped in the draft a bit and someone said the Rangers didn't think he was injured. I guess it didn't work out for him demanding a largeish signing bonus...at least not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:52 pm 

Imagine the screaming from the mountaintops if the Pirates had paid first round $$ for a knowingly injured pitcher who was - after 4 or 5 starts in the minors - diagnosed with a torn labrum.

As for Scheppers, he made a gamble. At this particular moment in time, it doesn't look like it was a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:38 pm 

There might be a message to other players to be careful about delaying signing and demanding too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 pm 

Last year, Scheppers had problems with the shoulder. ESPN reported (on their pay site) last year that it could be a torn labrum. Where Is AVS was the site where I found this blurb:

First he was reported as having a "stress fracture," which was met with disbelief in the industry. Then his advisors said that diagnosis was incorrect and sent him to Dr. Lewis Yocum for a second opinion. Teams that received his medical report this week confirm that Scheppers has a type of impingement in his shoulder and may have tearing in his labrum, and the course of treatment is rehab rather than surgery.

http://whereisvanslyke.blogspot.com/200 ... ulder.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 pm 

It's too bad for Tanner but I think this puts an end to all of the talk about how the Pirates should have signed him last year for too much money even though he was hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 am 

I am man enought to admit when I was wrong. I was all for signing him and was disappointed when we didnt. Guess it was a good thing after all. Hope him the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:20 am 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Does anyone remember what specifically they thought his problem was last season when he lost velocity and we thought he was hurt after the front office saw him throw? Last I heard before the draft this year, he was throwing 98mph in his last start. Then he slipped in the draft a bit and someone said the Rangers didn't think he was injured. I guess it didn't work out for him demanding a largeish signing bonus...at least not yet.

I think the conclusive factor to us not signing him was that he could not throw a breaking pitch without pain. I can't remember the source, but I remember reading that in his workouts with the Pirates he was nowhere near able to throw a breaking pitch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 am 

I can say i am glad he was a jerk when we tried to sign him and we didn't get stuck with him. I still don't understand though how his stock went up with him being a year older and still having injury problems. How did he go from pick #48 with us in 2008 to pick #44 this year to Texas. Whoever runs the Rangers should be smacked.
This could end up being the 3rd team that has drafted him that he has ended up not signing with, the orioles in 2005, the Pirates in 2008, and now the Rangers this year. Atleast i don't think he has signed with the Rangers yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:19 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Imagine the screaming from the mountaintops if the Pirates had paid first round $$ for a knowingly injured pitcher who was - after 4 or 5 starts in the minors - diagnosed with a torn labrum.

So true. The ultimate, "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Anyone who approaches the Scheppers situation with an ounce of objectivity knows the Pirates did the right thing. The galling part of this whole exercise though is that the very same people who have been calling for NH's head on a platter for not going the extra mile to sign Scheppers are the very same ones who would be making a mad dash (think 12/3/79 Who concert in Cincinnati; sorry for being crass) to the front of the line to excoriate him for being stupid enough to sign Scheppers, given his medical condition.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:06 am 

Argentum wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

So true. The ultimate, "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Anyone who approaches the Scheppers situation with an ounce of objectivity knows the Pirates did the right thing. The galling part of this whole exercise though is that the very same people who have been calling for NH's head on a platter for not going the extra mile to sign Scheppers are the very same ones who would be making a mad dash (think 12/3/79 Who concert in Cincinnati; sorry for being crass) to the front of the line to excoriate him for being stupid enough to sign Scheppers, given his medical condition.

Bingo. We have a winner!