Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morgan for a month
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 am 

The thread about Moss or Young resulted in some comments about Morgan's recent slow down.

I checked and since May 15 he is 20 for 103 or a .194 average. Not exactly thrilling as a starting outfielder is it? Has his 15 minutes ended?

I guess the saving grace if there is one has to be that he has 11 BB in the same games. He also does bring an energy to the whole team which, of course, you can't quantify (Wilton), and speed which you can not develop.

Play him?-- sit him? I go back and forth-- thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Morgan for a month
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01 pm 

Now with McCutchen at the top, I'd sit him for a few days and get Moss some at bats...Let those two battle it out for playing time, until Young's hot streak ends or possibly becomes the starter

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
The thread about Moss or Young resulted in some comments about Morgan's recent slow down.

I checked and since May 15 he is 20 for 103 or a .194 average. Not exactly thrilling as a starting outfielder is it? Has his 15 minutes ended?

I guess the saving grace if there is one has to be that he has 11 BB in the same games. He also does bring an energy to the whole team which, of course, you can't quantify (Wilton), and speed which you can not develop.

On another board or two...I've used one date to calculate Morgan's numbers from all season. Game 10. Last year...his numbers were majorly inflated because of a hot 10 day period. And he started this season the same way. So...here are Nyjer's numbers since April 17th...coincidentally...2 months to the day from last night.

235 PA, 198 AB, .232 BA, .322 OBP, .298 SA, .620 OPS.

Among Pirates position players...
The batting average would be ahead of only Monroe
OBP would be ahead of Diaz, Wilson, Moss and Monroe
SA would be ahead of only Vasquez
OPS would be dead last.

During that period...he's had 13 steals...caught 6 times and 1 pickoff...so he steals successfully 65% of the time...well below the 75% accepted threshold.

Frankly...when Duke pitches...I'd rather they used the DH to hit for Morgan...if only they were allowed to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:15 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

I like Morgan a lot. I think he brings some things to the table, even if he isn't hitting real great. In my humble opinion though, only McCutchen would be playing every day. Morgan, Moss, and DYoung would be sharing the time in the other two spots. Monroe would get a start here and there. Hinske would get starts at 3b and 1b to spell the LaRoches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:18 pm 

Overall I think he has proven that he is not quite good enough to be an everyday player, much less a corner outfielder.

If Moss can get untracked, I would be fine with sending Nyjer to the bench, although that weakens your defense.

Good teams have at a minimum 3 power hitters. We have only 2. One is injured and the other will be traded. Somewhere we have to find guys who can put the ball over the fence, and Nyjer cannot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:55 pm 

Nyjer's value is wholly wrapped up in his glove. His speed is not terribly helpful on offense because he has trouble getting on base (and it's hard to steal if you can't get to 1st base), and when he does get the opportunity to steal a base, he's bad at it (69% success rate). I would have no problem with Morgan taking a backseat to someone more worthy. That said, Delwyn Young is not that person.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 pm 

Morgan appears to be a great guy, however he isn't a major leaguer...well, not a good one. He needs to sit. We would still have speed at the top without him. He would make a great 25th guy on a championship team; pinch run, defensive replacement(although I think that aspect of his game is highly overrated), spot starter.

And in the long run I don't think Young will be a "starter" type player. But, on this current team I don't mind seeing him out there from time to time.

As the season progresses you have to let Moss sink or swim(I've stated before I think he will sink..hope I'm wrong). McCutcheon clearly needs to play every day. I guess until further moves are made I'd be ok with some type of rotation with Young, Morgan, Hinske, and Monroe. Maybe someone gets hot and you can play them for awhile. The outcome of this season doesn't depend on it anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:17 pm 

Willton wrote:
I would have no problem with Morgan taking a backseat to someone more worthy. That said, Delwyn Young is not that person.

I'm surprised to see you type this. Young won't ever get confused with Cy Young, or hell Kevin for that matter, but I think he could probably outperform Nyjer offensively in his sleep. The trade off is defense. Will Nyjer save more runs with the glove than Delwyn can produce with his bat? At this stage, I'd be inclined to go with Young, Moss, and Cutch in the OF. Maybe Morgan comes in late as a defensive sub?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm 

Willton wrote:
Nyjer's value is wholly wrapped up in his glove. His speed is not terribly helpful on offense because he has trouble getting on base (and it's hard to steal if you can't get to 1st base), and when he does get the opportunity to steal a base, he's bad at it (69% success rate). I would have no problem with Morgan taking a backseat to someone more worthy. That said, Delwyn Young is not that person.

And his glove isnt that good either, well not his glove but his defense...

Lastnight when he threw to third on the Harris double or single, advanced to 2nd on the throw...and there was a game earlier in the season when he ran a ball down and fired it to 2nd base and no one was there...His routes are bad and only makes it up for it with his speed

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:55 pm 

Nyjer's attitude needs to change. Him flipping out over everything leads to him making mistakes. He has been making errors and grounding into double plays left and right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:29 pm 

I agree Nyjer should never had thrown to 3rd last night but I believe that he is one of the best left fielder statistically in the NL. I accept that stats are misleading, but he is way above average regardless and has saved more runs then his bat has cost. I think he needs to find a way to get on base and to move down in the order but I'm still pleasantly surprised by him overall.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Morgan appears to be a great guy, however he isn't a major leaguer...well, not a good one. He needs to sit. We would still have speed at the top without him. He would make a great 25th guy on a championship team; pinch run, defensive replacement(although I think that aspect of his game is highly overrated), spot starter.

And in the long run I don't think Young will be a "starter" type player. But, on this current team I don't mind seeing him out there from time to time.

As the season progresses you have to let Moss sink or swim(I've stated before I think he will sink..hope I'm wrong). McCutcheon clearly needs to play every day. I guess until further moves are made I'd be ok with some type of rotation with Young, Morgan, Hinske, and Monroe. Maybe someone gets hot and you can play them for awhile. The outcome of this season doesn't depend on it anyway...

If Tabata can hit strong for the next month, we will being the last 6 weeks of the season in AAA.
IF he produces there, has a good spring training next year, i don't think the team would think 2x about making him the 2010 opening day left or right fielder.

His progress for the rest of 2009(and maybe some winter ball) would pretty much punch his ticket to be on the opening day(and in the starting lineup) as soon as 2010.

I just don't feel the Pirates will let this guy spend a whole lot of time in the minors , if they can talk themselves into giving him a full time job on the major league team.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:54 am 

palushock wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

If Tabata can hit strong for the next month, we will being the last 6 weeks of the season in AAA.
IF he produces there, has a good spring training next year, i don't think the team would think 2x about making him the 2010 opening day left or right fielder.

His progress for the rest of 2009(and maybe some winter ball) would pretty much punch his ticket to be on the opening day(and in the starting lineup) as soon as 2010.

I just don't feel the Pirates will let this guy spend a whole lot of time in the minors , if they can talk themselves into giving him a full time job on the major league team.

I think no matter what Tabata will be starting the 2010 season in Triple-A. He could end up doing like Andrew McCutchen did this year and come up after a couple of months.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:16 pm 

Russell insists on playing Morgan every night and batting him second. He is now 20 for 111 since May 15.

That's a robust .180. -- so far below the Mendoza line you need glasses to see it. When-0-when does he ever sit?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:30 pm 

For the season Adam LaRoche has a 9 point higher BA. Want to beat up Adam still?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:19 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Thought I'd bring this back up now that Morgan is 11 for his last 23, and has a higher OBP than An LaRoche.

Also showing more "power". LOL.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:25 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Thought I'd bring this back up now that Morgan is 11 for his last 23, and has a higher OBP than An LaRoche.

Also showing more "power". LOL.

ZM

The sad truth is that is true.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:33 pm 

Let's keep in mind that three of those hits and part of the OBP is useless as he was thrown out or picked off three times this week. Probably his best week in the majors -- was very good and would hope he could come close to that this week. Doubt it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:42 pm 

Include that wonderful week (6 games) and look at the 26 games since May 29. He is 23/94 = .244

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:49 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

How about just do it the right way, and look at his season.

ZM