Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Young the starter?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:57 am 

According to the PG, 79% think he should be considered the starting right fielder.

Just want to go on record with you guys-- not my vote. He should be playing now while he's hot but long term, he's not the answer. Don't know yet if Moss is but at least he has a chance to be. So, play him and find out. Soon this great hitting will end and we will need to go back to our project, if we hope to get to our goal.

Post subject: Re: Young the starter?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:10 am 

I say play him. He's hitting .360 - how could you not?

Moss and Morgan still have to prove they deserve to be everyday players, as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:13 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Moss and Morgan still have to prove they deserve to be everyday players, as far as I'm concerned.

That's rather hard to do while riding the bench.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:19 am 

I have been saying for about a month now that Young's situation this year is similar to Freddy's in 2005. First of all, both can just flat hit! Second, both are/were being blocked by a player who was deemed the started but was performing much worse. If you remember back to 2005, Ty Wigginton was off to a poor start, and then got hurt. Freddy capitalized on the opportunity and hit the ball really well and played at a very high level at third defensively (this is where the comparison is off). Nonetheless, Lloyd and Littlefield were adament that "Ty is our starter". Finally, after much too long, Freddy won the position and the following year won the batting title. I don't care who sits between Morgan and Moss, Young needs to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:22 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

That's rather hard to do while riding the bench.

True, but in this case I have no problem with Moss riding the pine if Young is the beneficiary. I mean it's not like Andy LaRoche riding the pine in favor of Vazquez or Hinske. Young is only a year older that Moss, and by every indication, appears to have just as good a chance to succeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 am 

As much as it pains me, because I don't think he is ever going to cut it, I think you have to run Moss out there and find out about him. Give Morgan a break. He's down to .260 and his OBP is dropping as rapidly. You still have speed in the one hole and could adjust the lineup by moving Sanchez back to second, and little LaRoche to third(where I think he should be anyway).

On another note...I really think they need to get Diaz more starts. With the limited offense his bat is a welcome presence. Plus I really liked the fire he showed behind the plate in demanding Snell throw certain pitches in certain locations. That's no knock on Jaramillo because he has been good too. Finally a position the Pirates have a surplus at.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:39 am 

dr.j wrote:
I have been saying for about a month now that Young's situation this year is similar to Freddy's in 2005. First of all, both can just flat hit! Second, both are/were being blocked by a player who was deemed the started but was performing much worse. If you remember back to 2005, Ty Wigginton was off to a poor start, and then got hurt. Freddy capitalized on the opportunity and hit the ball really well and played at a very high level at third defensively (this is where the comparison is off). Nonetheless, Lloyd and Littlefield were adament that "Ty is our starter". Finally, after much too long, Freddy won the position and the following year won the batting title. I don't care who sits between Morgan and Moss, Young needs to play.

Actually your statement is incorrect pertaining to Freddie. He took the 3rd base job from Joe Randa, not Wigginton(who wasn't on the team).+
I have no problem with the team giving Young the lion's share of starts in right field. Yes, he is an adventure out there, but he seems to be getting more comfortable out there. Hey the Metrodome is supposedly the Worst place to play outfield in the major's , so i wouldn't put too much into his defensive problems in these last few games.

Moss, again, should either be traded, or sent to the minors. I know he has no options left, but i am sure a 26 year old right fielder, who has shown absolutely NOTHING in his time in the MAJOR LEAGUES, would have no problem clearing waivers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

He's not shown, as you say, NOTHING.

He has hit at a .350 clip for a month. He has shown superior defensive play. He shows raw power that simply has not translated yet to the OF.

Will he succeed? Don't know. I think it is mental with him as much as anything, and the more he settles down and gets some confidence, the better he will perform.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 am 

I dont have a problem giving Young regular playing time...If thats the case they need to give Morgan a few nights off and let Moss get some AB's...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:22 pm 

Actually, he pushed J. Castillo out the door with his play at second and was suppose to be in a platoon with Castillo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:25 pm 

There is no way that Moss would clear waivers, and no way that we should be giving up on him this soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:28 pm 

Your right, it was Joe Randa. Thanks for the correction. I think the context was correct though. Joe started off a little cold and then got hurt, and Freddy played like an all-star. Then, they went right back to starting Joe Randa. He was then traded at the deadline, right??? I think they started Freddy the rest of the way at third that season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 pm 

dr.j wrote:

That is not entirely true. Freddy was a young unproven guy, with potential, that was being blocked by an aging vet, Joe Randa, not Wigginton. Randa got hurt. Freddy played and ended up doing great, never relinquishing the job, which is how it should have been.

With Young and Moss, it is quite different. They are both young and unproven. Each has failed initially in the majors. In my humble opinion, at this point, Moss, Young, and Nyjer should be splitting time...competing for future playing time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
There is no way that Moss would clear waivers, and no way that we should be giving up on him this soon.

Just because Moss isn't playing great right now doesn't mean we should kick him out the door. Yes he should be on the bench and Young should be starting, but Moss will get a clutch hit off the bench and then hopefully things will change around for him.