Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucco Draft Pick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:26 pm 

From my backyard . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/ri ... id=4267102

Dermody is either a Hawkeye or a Pirate . . . either way that is good for me.

Post subject: Re: Bucco Draft Pick
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 am 

Thanks for posting this. I saw it from you before I saw it on MLB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
From my backyard . . .

I really hope he signs with the Pirates... :D

Either way, he'll never beat Iowa State! :evil: Man, ISU needs to bring their program back. Embarrassing.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:43 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
From my backyard . . .

I really hope he signs with the Pirates... :D

Either way, he'll never beat Iowa State! :evil: Man, ISU needs to bring their program back. Embarrassing.

IA -
UNI pulled the plug on their program this year. Only one D-1 program left in the state.
Wisconsin dropped theirs a few years ago. Its unfortunate. I don't know if it is budget related or Title VII related. But, at least in the Midwest, it is not a revenue generator.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:05 pm 

Thanks No.9

If he is a typical high school pitcher from all those drafted this year, I hope we sign as many as possible. Of course, they won't all be winners but some will and we won't have the worry that a college program destroyed their arm in overuse. If we get 2 or 3 servicable pitchers in 5 years it will have been a success.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 pm 

IA-- you must've had a great college experience because it sure sounds like you love that school. Great for you to be part of something you obviously care for so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:02 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I don't know if it is budget related or Title VII related. But, at least in the Midwest, it is not a revenue generator.

That is the reason why a lot of univerities have dropped baseball. To field a competitive team, the school needs to award at least 15 scholarships.

The problem is that the baseball program loses a ton of money for most schools. The coaching staff, field maintenance and insurance cost a lot of money. The 15 scholarships likewise cost a bunch of money.

Meanwhile, Title IX requires that athletes on scholarship match the ratio of students in the school. Iowa State is majority male student body, but adding 15 male sports scholarships would require at least 12 female athletes be put on scholarship.

What schools have found is that there are not enough qualified female athletes to achieve the required ratio, unless the school does not already have women's soccer or crew. If the school can add a women's sport like soccer or crew, and if the school has the money, then the new sport can add the required number of female athletes on scholarship.

Most schools simply cut men's sports to achieve the required ratio. Baseball is a popular casualty, since it is quite expensive and entails a significant number of scholarships.

P.S. For those with daughters who want to enter college ... have your daughter compete at a high level in a college sport. Swimming, diving, basketball, volleyball, track and field, softball, etc. The chances of your daughter getting accepted, and getting scholarship money, are HUGE.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:17 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
P.S. For those with daughters who want to enter college ... have your daughter compete at a high level in a college sport. Swimming, diving, basketball, volleyball, track and field, softball, etc. The chances of your daughter getting accepted, and getting scholarship money, are HUGE.

Kinda hard to have one's daughter compete in a college sport when she's not in college yet....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 pm 

Willton wrote:
Kinda hard to have one's daughter compete in a college sport when she's not in college yet....

I suspect all understand what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:04 pm 

D I baseball is allowed 11.5 scholarships. D II is allowed 9.5. These must be spread out over the entire roster. A new NCAA ruling states that if a player is offered a scholarship, it must at least be a 33% scholarship minimum. There are really no full ride scholarships in baseball. The larger ones, 50-70% usually go to pitchers. Position players are lucky to get much of anything. College baseball coaches really look for good students because they can supplement the athletic scholarships with academic money. No. 1 son was pretty much ignored by DI and DII schools due to poor grades in high school. Facts of life my friends. He did not qualify through the NCAA clearinghouse ( another loaded topic). For him now to play at a DI or DII school after JUCO, he must get his AA degree or he will be limited to NAIA possibilities. By the way, this was not at all like it was when I was being recruited in the early 70's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:17 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
D I baseball is allowed 11.5 scholarships. D II is allowed 9.5. These must be spread out over the entire roster. A new NCAA ruling states that if a player is offered a scholarship, it must at least be a 33% scholarship minimum. There are really no full ride scholarships in baseball. The larger ones, 50-70% usually go to pitchers. Position players are lucky to get much of anything. College baseball coaches really look for good students because they can supplement the athletic scholarships with academic money. No. 1 son was pretty much ignored by DI and DII schools due to poor grades in high school. Facts of life my friends. He did not qualify through the NCAA clearinghouse ( another loaded topic). For him now to play at a DI or DII school after JUCO, he must get his AA degree or he will be limited to NAIA possibilities. By the way, this was not at all like it was when I was being recruited in the early 70's.

Good report and accurate. I was incorrect on the number of D1 scholarships available. I had believed it was 15 for baseball ...

And with respect to the scholarship money schools use - the first position looked at is pitcher, the second (a distant second) is C. Elite pitchers can get as much as "85%."

D2 schools have very limited scholarship money, and D3 schools can offer no sports scholarships at all. Many NAIA schools, on the other hand, have money for baseball players. Some of those schools include two pretty good colleges in Southern California, Azusa Pacific and The Masters College. NAIA schools can offer up to 12 scholarships ... more than a D1 school can offer.