Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karstens to the pen????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:42 pm 

When did this happen? I don't recall any major roster moves in the last couple of days. Who is taking his spot in the rotation.

Hey the guy was 3-4. Why demote him when we still run Ian 1-7 Snell out there as our second starter.

Post subject: Re: Karstens to the pen????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:43 pm 

They brought Morton up from the Minors, one of the pitchers in the Nate McLouth trade...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:02 pm 

Pirates believe Karstens has a future in the big leagues as a long reliever. He is good once or twice through the line-up, but due to fatigue, limited velocity, whatever, he gets in trouble in the 7th inning and later.

They like him out of the pen if the starter falters early. Fortunately, the Pirates have had a lot less of that this year than last, but at least 1x per week, a starter cannot go more than 4-5 innings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:05 pm 

Tonight should be a real teast for Snell. He has shown better in his last two starts but this team is a tuff test (ask Maholm). Soon he has to show that he is a big league man with maturity.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:22 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Tonight should be a real teast for Snell. He has shown better in his last two starts but this team is a tuff test (ask Maholm). Soon he has to show that he is a big league man with maturity.

Snell against Liriano. This could be one of those 14-12 games again, but our luck it will be 14-3 Twins with Liriano striking out 12.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Snell against Liriano. This could be one of those 14-12 games again, but our luck it will be 14-3 Twins with Liriano striking out 12.

Snell has had more quality starts than I would have guessed given his ERA and record, but he has had plenty of blowups too. I'm not liking his chances against someone like Mauer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Snell has had more quality starts than I would have guessed given his ERA and record, but he has had plenty of blowups too. I'm not liking his chances against someone like Mauer.

I know i couldn't believe it when i posted that topic about most quality starts while still losing in the last 2 years and Snell lead all of baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:32 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Well, that shows you what I know. Three straight quality starts for Snell. Now might be a good time to see what we can get for him...