Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two weeks could define the future for many of the loyalists
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:52 pm 

Quote:
Marc: I think the Pirates risk more in not signing Sano than in trading Nate. The Nate trade irritated the bobblehead crowd, not signing Sano will irritate the real fans, the ones who understood the Nate trade. What do you feel?

I thought this question from yesterday's DK chat was spot on. As those that can be considered "the real fans", what do you think? I agree that not signing Sano would be far more damaging to the fanbase than trading Jack Wilson, Nate McLouth, Jason Bay, etc.

The management has outlined a strategy. Signing Sano fails well within that strategy. They also contend the money is available for these kind of signings.

This is one of the moments where the rubber meets the road. Is this management team sincere with its words or not?

Post subject: Re: Two weeks could define the future for many of the loyalists
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:16 pm 

It would not affect me much if we do not sign this kid. Sure, I think we all would love to have him, but we are not the only team in on this kid. Maybe he takes less money to go to another organization such as the Yankees. There's really not much we can do about it either way. All we can hope is The Bucco's strategy pays off and we outbid the other teams. After that, it's on the kid and his family to take whichever offer they want.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Quote:
Marc: I think the Pirates risk more in not signing Sano than in trading Nate. The Nate trade irritated the bobblehead crowd, not signing Sano will irritate the real fans, the ones who understood the Nate trade. What do you feel?

I thought this question from yesterday's DK chat was spot on. As those that can be considered "the real fans", what do you think? I agree that not signing Sano would be far more damaging to the fanbase than trading Jack Wilson, Nate McLouth, Jason Bay, etc.

The management has outlined a strategy. Signing Sano fails well within that strategy. They also contend the money is available for these kind of signings.

This is one of the moments where the rubber meets the road. Is this management team sincere with its words or not?

They should offer Sano what they think he is worth. If he signs, great, but they have no control over what another team might offer, and they would be morons to offer more than they thought he was worth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:45 am 

MoTownWV wrote:
Signing Sano fails well within that strategy.

Your Freudian slip is showing.

I'll have a difficult time being angry with the FO if the Yankees or Sawx outdistance their very generous $4M bid in the eleventh hour — a scenario that's far too easy to envision for my liking.

In that eventuality, they'll be subject to a lot more bitching about their amateur draft strategy in the early rounds, much of it, then as now, legitimate.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:
Signing Sano fails well within that strategy.

Your Freudian slip is showing.

I'll have a difficult time being angry with the FO if the Yankees or Sawx outdistance their very generous $4M bid in the eleventh hour — a scenario that's far too easy to envision for my liking.

In that eventuality, they'll be subject to a lot more bitching about their amateur draft strategy in the early rounds, much of it, then as now, legitimate.

Well this is alittle old but it is a decent point by a guy i hate. So if i say Bob Smizik is making sense it is worth reading over. So here is the article from his blog awhile back on the pros and cons of signing Sano.
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... -sano.aspx