Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would it take...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 pm 

...to get Brandon Wood from the Angels? The Pirates desperately need a young power bat. Do the Angels need pitching? I'm under the impression they do. Maybe NH can work a deal?

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=457420

Post subject: Re: What would it take...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:36 pm 

I think i read they were interested in Grabow. Their setup guy is hurt and another sent down to AAA.

But he will not make that happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 pm 

I'd be glad to part with Snell as part of a package which could include another one of our pitchers, maybe Grabow, for this kid....no?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 pm 

Is he still playing shortstop?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 pm 

Yes Az, he is listed on their roster as a SS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I'd be glad to part with Snell as part of a package which could include another one of our pitchers, maybe Grabow, for this kid....no?

That would be great i think if we could work that, but i don't really think the Angels are in the market for pitching. I think if we trade a pitcher they either go to the Mets or Phillies, because they need rotation help and bullpen help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 pm 

I don't think Snell and Grabow would get Brandon Wood in return. He's 24 and looks like he tore up AAA in the last couple years. Ian Snell has been awful and isn't going to fare any better in a league where pitchers don't bat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 pm 

One thing you all have to consider is that Wood strikes out. A lot. That said, he also is capable of hitting for power. A lot of power. I think he's well worth trying to work out a trade, and hopefully if he continues to improve his plate discipline, he can become the next Adam Dunn of the middle infield.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:50 pm 

Willton wrote:
One thing you all have to consider is that Wood strikes out. A lot. That said, he also is capable of hitting for power. A lot of power. I think he's well worth trying to work out a trade, and hopefully if he continues to improve his plate discipline, he can become the next Adam Dunn of the middle infield.

FWIW - Gammons said that Gorzo will probably be traded. I can't see him being worth much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:53 pm 

How about Freddy Sanchez for Brandon Wood? The Angels definitely need offensive help at the middle infield position (as a lot of teams do). This would obviously leave a huge hole in the middle infield that would need to be filled in the future, but if Wood was moved over to first base, Adam LaRoche could potentially be traded for young middle infield prospects.

Of course, this trade would leave no room for Pedro Alvarez to come up, but if we're just trying to stockpile young talent, it might not be a horrible move.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:17 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Willton wrote:

FWIW - Gammons said that Gorzo will probably be traded. I can't see him being worth much.

I don't think he would be worth much right now either. I think it would be in the Pirates best interest to keep ahold of Gorzo for awhile and work with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:23 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
How about Freddy Sanchez for Brandon Wood? The Angels definitely need offensive help at the middle infield position (as a lot of teams do). This would obviously leave a huge hole in the middle infield that would need to be filled in the future, but if Wood was moved over to first base, Adam LaRoche could potentially be traded for young middle infield prospects.

Of course, this trade would leave no room for Pedro Alvarez to come up, but if we're just trying to stockpile young talent, it might not be a horrible move.

Why would you ever move Wood to 1st base? He's a middle infielder! His value is that he is a power bat at a position typically devoid of power! Why would you erase that?

If you trade Sanchez for Wood, the most logical person to replace Sanchez, IMHO, is Wood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:35 am 

bassoondirector wrote:

I don't understand why people seem to think that you can get a quality player in return for a pile of garbage, if only you'll pile the garbage high enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 am 

sisyphus wrote:
I don't understand why people seem to think that you can get a quality player in return for a pile of garbage, if only you'll pile the garbage high enough.

Snell and Grabow are garbage? What's your definition of garbage? If they are indeed garbage, then who do the Pirates have who could be included in a trade for a player like Wood? Players the Pirates have that the Angels could possibly need?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:25 pm 

The Angels have substantial interest in Grabow because they just lost Scott Shields for the season. If the Bucs packaged Grabow and Gorzo or Snell for Wood, that would be a tremendous pick-up for the Bucs.

It would also set up another trade involving Wilson.. perhaps you package he and Adam LaRoche for a major league ready first baseman and more pitching..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:48 pm 

curveradio wrote:
The Angels have substantial interest in Grabow because they just lost Scott Shields for the season. If the Bucs packaged Grabow and Gorzo or Snell for Wood, that would be a tremendous pick-up for the Bucs.

It would also set up another trade involving Wilson.. perhaps you package he and Adam LaRoche for a major league ready first baseman and more pitching..

It could also set up a trade involving Sanchez, who is more valuable on the trade market.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:52 pm 

Willton wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:

Why would you ever move Wood to 1st base? He's a middle infielder! His value is that he is a power bat at a position typically devoid of power! Why would you erase that?

If you trade Sanchez for Wood, the most logical person to replace Sanchez, IMHO, is Wood.

Ok, you're right, sorry about that. I was looking on one section of Baseball Reference that had him listed at 3B, but I see now he's split time between there and SS. Never mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm 

There are too many variables in play here to predict what the Pirates are going to do.

Personally I am hoping we find a way to keep Wilson and Sanchez. And I'm hoping we trade LaRoche and Grabow for some decent quality in return. And I'm hoping that we find a suitable replacement for LaRoche.

It seems that we could afford to give up Snell, which strengthens our bargaining position. He is not that good but he is better than dozens of guys who are currently in major league rotations.