Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Uniforms of 79
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
You all are about inflicting pain, aren't you?

How can I type ugly louder?

Worst.Uni.Era.Ever

ZM

That would be UGLY.
Capital letters are consider yelling over the internet. So those jerseys would be UGLY.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 pm 

Animal wrote:
JolietKev wrote:
I loved those hats. Does anyone know where I can get one?

EBAY

Is JolietKev talking about the flat top hats?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:27 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:
JolietKev wrote:
I loved those hats. Does anyone know where I can get one?

EBAY

Is JolietKev talking about the flat top hats?

I think so. You can get them at PNC. I got one last year, and I presume that you could get it on line or in Pittsburgh area sports stores.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
You all are about inflicting pain, aren't you?

How can I type ugly louder?

Worst.Uni.Era.Ever

ZM

Are you commenting on these uniforms (which I like a lot)????

That uniform rocks. Always has, always will.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No, I'm talking about the quadrillion interchangable pee yellow stuff of 79 beer league softball era. Whatever came after the 'Stros abomination of a uni.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:32 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
No, I'm talking about the quadrillion interchangable pee yellow stuff of 79 beer league softball era. Whatever came after the 'Stros abomination of a uni.

ZM

Yep i hated those also. I hated those pill box hats also.
I think if they had yellow jerseys with white or grey pants it might not look that bad, but those were the worst jerseys in Pirate history in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm 

Attachments:
1979ASG.jpg
1979ASG.jpg [ 82.11 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:42 pm 

Tommy LaSorda needs to close his legs...

I have a hat its made my Nike, its their throw back collection its fitted, has a black bill, and the rest is yellow with the late 70's Pirate Logo on it...I acutally have 2 of them, one I wear out in public, one I wear sometimes when I have a gig, it smells like cigarettes thats why its designated to the bars...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:44 pm 

Argentum wrote:

I think what makes this uniform era so bad is the colored pants that alot of teams wore. I hate that, i'm glad it's just white and grey now, besides the Astros because those jerseys tops are up there with the worst in sports history.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

So here's my own challenge, name as many of those 1979 All Stars as you can without cheating. I'll go first, correct me if I'm wrong.

1st row L to R: Carlton, Garvey, Parker, Lopes, Ozark(?), LaSorda, (?), Tanner, Winfield, Schmidt, Brock, Foster(?)

2nd row L to R: (?), (?), Sambito, (?), Cey, Flanigan(?), Morgan, Rose, Eastwick(?), (?), (?), Niekro, (?)

3rd row L to R: It'll be easier to name the four I think I recognize, Gaylord Perry, Rick Sutcliffe, JR Richard, Jack Clark

Four Expos are in there and only one Brave. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:02 pm 

Is that Keith Hernandez next to Tommy LaSorda in the front row? I think it is...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:12 pm 

Argentum wrote:
So here's my own challenge, name as many of those 1979 All Stars as you can without cheating. I'll go first, correct me if I'm wrong.

1st row L to R: Carlton, Garvey, Parker, Lopes, Ozark(?), LaSorda, (?), Tanner, Winfield, Schmidt, Brock, Foster(?)

2nd row L to R: (?), (?), Sambito, (?), Cey, Flanigan(?), Morgan, Rose, Eastwick(?), (?), (?), Niekro, (?)

3rd row L to R: It'll be easier to name the four I think I recognize, Gaylord Perry, Rick Sutcliffe, JR Richard, Jack Clark

1. Pretty sure that Steve Carlton is in the third row, third from the left.
2. Gary Carter (Expos), second row, second from the left.
3. I think that Jeff Reardon is the Expo between Cey and Morgan in the second row.
4. I think that it is Lee Mazzili (Mets) to the immediate left (in the photo) of Joe Niekro.
5. I think that Darrell Porter is the Cardinal in the last row to the far right.
6. To Jack Clark's left . . . I don't think the Astro is JR Richard. He was 6'7". I think that it may be Cesar Cedeno.
7. To Cedeno's left is Cub Bruce Sutter.
8. I think that Keith Hernandez is the Cardinal between Sutter and Gaylord Perry in the third row. I don't know who the Cardinal is in the first row.
9. I believe that Larry Bowa is the Phillie to the far left of the first row.
10. Second row, far left . . . Gary Matthews of the Braves?
11. Last row, second from the left, the only Expo that I can think of is Steve Rogers . . . I just don't remember him having a beard. Mustache, yes. Beard . . . ?
12. Could the Cardinal between LaSorda and Tanner be Ted Simmons? If so, it doesn't make sense that Darrell Porter would be in the last row. If this is the '79 All Star picture (Parker MVP), I believe that Porter would have been a Royal at that time. And drunk. Really drunk.
13. The Met, second row, fourth from the right . . . John Stearns (?). Seems to be a stretch to me.

I'm tapped out on guesses right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:23 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

1. Pretty sure that Steve Carlton is in the third row, third from the left.
2. Gary Carter (Expos), second row, second from the left.
3. I think that Jeff Reardon is the Expo between Cey and Morgan in the second row.
4. I think that it is Lee Mazzili (Mets) to the immediate left (in the photo) of Joe Niekro.
5. I think that Darrell Porter is the Cardinal in the last row to the far right.
6. To Jack Clark's left . . . I don't think the Astro is JR Richard. He was 6'7". I think that it may be Cesar Cedeno.
7. To Cedeno's left is Cub Bruce Sutter.
8. I think that Keith Hernandez is the Cardinal between Sutter and Gaylord Perry in the third row. I don't know who the Cardinal is in the first row.
9. I believe that Larry Bowa is the Phillie to the far left of the first row.
10. Second row, far left . . . Gary Matthews of the Braves?
11. Last row, second from the left, the only Expo that I can think of is Steve Rogers . . . I just don't remember him having a beard. Mustache, yes. Beard . . . ?
12. Could the Cardinal between LaSorda and Tanner be Ted Simmons? If so, it doesn't make sense that Darrell Porter would be in the last row. If this is the '79 All Star picture (Parker MVP), I believe that Porter would have been a Royal at that time. And drunk. Really drunk.
13. The Met, second row, fourth from the right . . . John Stearns (?). Seems to be a stretch to me.

I'm tapped out on guesses right now.

OK. I found the roster on-line.
I'll say this:
The Astro in the third row is neither JR Richards nor Cesar Cedeno. Hint: He'd probably throw a major temper tantrum if you got his name wrong.
The Steve Rogers (Expos) identification was right. Jeff Reardon was not.
I actually had the right Astro in mind next to Sambito but was sure that he was never an AllStar so I didn't type his name.
The Cardinal to the upper right in the last row is NOT Darrell Porter. Based upon the roster I looked at, I don't think that he was a player. Maybe a coach or trainer?
The Red in the back row fourth from the left is a pitcher that I remember now . . . but would have never guessed.
Eastwick is not the Phillie (sorry, Argentum) between Rose and John Stearns. And, I readily admit that I am embarrassed ( :oops: ) to have missed that one. Pretty strong baseball name . . . strong baseball family.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:27 pm 

Good guesses there No. 9. You get bonus points for even remembering guys like Porter, Stearns, and Cedeno. Could the Astro in the last row be Bob Watson? Stone is an excellent guess for the Expos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Attempting to recover the now hijacked thread:

No one's mentioned the pinstripes yet.

Attachment:
Teke.jpg
Teke.jpg [ 25.87 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Good guesses there No. 9. You get bonus points for even remembering guys like Porter, Stearns, and Cedeno. Could the Astro in the last row be Bob Watson? Stone is an excellent guess for the Expos.

The Astro is NOT Bob Watson.
The Expo is not anyone with the last name of Stone (I don't even remember who that would be).

You'll hit yourself in the head and say "oh yeah" when you hear both of their names. The Astro (in the last row) should be easier (in hindsight, the glasses are a giveaway) than the Expo. The Astro in the middle row and the Red in the last row are tough calls. I'm mad at myself for not simply throwing the Astro's name out there as a wild guess. I still can't believe he was an AllStar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:34 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The Astro in the third row is neither JR Richards nor Cesar Cedeno. Hint: He'd probably throw a major temper tantrum if you got his name wrong.

Joaquin Andujar.

No.9 wrote:
Eastwick is not the Phillie (sorry, Argentum) between Rose and John Stearns. And, I readily admit that I am embarrassed ( :oops: ) to have missed that one. Pretty strong baseball name . . . strong baseball family.

Bob Boone.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Argentum wrote:

Full disclosure: I'm 41 years old and these guys played right in the middle of my "prime" baseball card collecting days. Thus, face recognition for guys who played in 1979 is deeply engrained in my brain.

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Joaquin Andujar.

No.9 wrote:

Bob Boone.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Full disclosure: I'm 41 years old and these guys played right in the middle of my "prime" baseball card collecting days. Thus, face recognition for guys who played in 1979 is deeply engrained in my brain.

I'm 41 as well and still have my cards. As fate would have it most of the cards I have from this gallery are triplicates and quadruplicates of guys like Porter and Stearns. My personal best for duplicates is Rusty Staub.

I broke down and looked at the roster. Was embarrassed by a few omissions. For those who care to know: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1979as.shtml