It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From the PG
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:21 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09165/976997-110.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09159/975790-110.stm

heard this before?

Quote:
"I beg all baseball fans to refuse to eat the dog food Pirates management has been feeding us for the past 16 seasons."............"There is no effort to put a good team on the field -- only to play within their budget"......."when they get a good player they're gone"..............."I, and a lot of others I know, will not spend, or should I say waste, any more of my money to go to one more game."

Post subject: Re: From the PG
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:29 pm 

Just because you hear the same thing over and over doesn't mean it is accurate or intelligent.

In fact, although it is their right, anyone who believes this is an idiot.

Get it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:33 pm 

Quote:
Want to know how to build a team? Keep your talent and buy new talent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09165/97 ... IQHFCyfl&D

This guy should be getting a Christmas card from the Steinbrenners.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:43 pm 

People that write these types of letters about the Pirates strike me as the same type of people that call in to a sports radio show--fans who lack intelligence and crave attention. If the guy is finished as a fan, fine, but this call-to-arms bulls**t is tiresome, especially when it lacks an intelligent approach.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:03 pm 

And with all this doom and gloom, the team is 30-32 and only what 5 or 6 games out. That is the bottom line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:18 pm 

Az -
Take a quick peek at the standings . . . worst case scenario going into tomorrow is 4.5 games behind StL. Cards lose tonight and the Bucs are merely 4 games out of first.
I don't know if I'll conclude that the team is better without McLouth but I'm ready to conclude that they aren't worse off by inserting McClutch into his spot.

The interesting issue will be if the Bucs pull off a Padre or a Rockie winning streak before the All Star break. It may make it a real PR nightmare if the Bucs are within a couple of games and some of the vets are traded.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:33 pm 

I know. These naysayers have their blinders on about where the team is in the standings. Kind of like single issue voters. You just can't please them at all. For the team to be in the position they are now in the standings is remarkable. I hope ;they make NH's decision a tough one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:24 pm 

Someone should point him to the A's of the early 00's and the current Rays for examples of how teams can both "play within their budget" and put a winning team on the field.

At least the guy puts his money where his mouth is...if you have a problem with ownership, the only option is to stop following the team. Fan opinion can help run managers or GMs out of town, but bitching about the owners is like whining about the sun coming up in the east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09165/977121-139.stm

Quote:
...."they are a joke "......"A whole generation .. has now grown up in this city without seeing a winning baseball team and with no hope in sight."......"Mr. Nutting, could you please answer my son?"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:50 pm 

People not understanding a trade and complaining about it does not give the complaint any credibilty, in my opinion. Again, if people want to debate the return for Nate, I think there can be a good argument. But simply bitching about the fact Nate was traded only shows someone doesn\'t know enough about baseball to engage in an intelligent discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:10 am 

Alexandria Dukes wrote:
People not understanding a trade and complaining about it does not give the complaint any credibilty, in my opinion. Again, if people want to debate the return for Nate, I think there can be a good argument. But simply bitching about the fact Nate was traded only shows someone doesn\'t know enough about baseball to engage in an intelligent discussion.

Amen AD, Amen!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:36 am 

Alexandria Dukes wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 am 

Correctemundo Alexandria. Bueno.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 am 

I don't think that it is a matter of intelligence. To me it is:
1- not being able to see the big picture about the future of the team.
2- needing instant gratification, not abnormal in today's world
3- blaming everything on the percieved cheap owners. They have clearly shown some of this in the past, today not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:53 pm 

The trade is over.....let's forget about it.

But, before you guys belittle those "naysayers", and indicate that their view of things are "stupid and unintelligent", remember this:

They may not be baseball geeks....poring over stats of high school players, knowing the average and age of every "A" prospect, but they DO pay the bills, they buy the hats, shirts, all of it. And, for every baseball "genius", there are a hundred like them, who don't really care about 2015, they want to buy their tickets and see their team be competitive now, this evening.

Piss them all off at your own risk.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The only ones still pissed off are those that haven't watch McCutcheon yet.

One inning of Morton was enough to get me excited.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:00 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
One inning of Morton was enough to get me excited.

ZM

:shock:
That visual is too much!
:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:16 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
The trade is over.....let's forget about it.

But, before you guys belittle those "naysayers", and indicate that their view of things are "stupid and unintelligent", remember this:

They may not be baseball geeks....poring over stats of high school players, knowing the average and age of every "A" prospect, but they DO pay the bills, they buy the hats, shirts, all of it. And, for every baseball "genius", there are a hundred like them, who don't really care about 2015, they want to buy their tickets and see their team be competitive now, this evening.

Piss them all off at your own risk.

I suppose you would be for moves that placate the fans, even if they don't help the organization improve? Perhaps a move that looks like we're trying to compete, even if that move does not help achieve that end? Something like, oh I don't know, signing Pat Meares? Trading for Sean Casey? Extending Jason Kendall and Kevin Young? Would that make the fans happy?

When the team starts winning, all will be forgiven, I'm sure.