Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let me be the first to say.......
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:34 pm 

.......that I am not reallly enamored with the new play by play guy. So much in fact, that I can't even remember what his name is. He just doesn't seem to fit. Too much of a cookie cutter kind of guy. Just my humble opinion. He has screwed up many times when trying to talk about the Bucs past.

Post subject: Re: Let me be the first to say.......
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:36 pm 

Ditto.

This has been mentioned before, but have you noticed how EVERY fly ball is called as if it is a HR?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:18 pm 

He is filling a need. Nothing special. No matter who they brought in, that person was not going to replace Lanny.

Technically, Greg Brown should be "replacing" Lanny and Tim Neverett should be "replacing" Greg Brown.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:49 pm 

IMHO Greg Brown is the pits. If we need replace anyone it's Greg 'never an original thought' Brown.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:02 pm 

There's alot worse out there that are calling MLB games...

I say we start a petition to callup Curveradio from AA and trade Brown for prospects...

Included in the petition is a rain poncho when he's with Wehner in the booth...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:23 pm 

Interestingly enough, I don't mind Greg Brown at all and was never a fan of Lanny. That said , I would rather listen to Lanny than Joe New Kid on the block.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:07 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Ditto.

This has been mentioned before, but have you noticed how EVERY fly ball is called as if it is a HR?

No, he's talking about the new guy, not Greg Brown. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 pm 

I like both Brown and Neverett just fine. All I want them to do is call the game, not give me a hot stone massage and make me a burger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:56 am 

They will give a hot stone massage and a burger?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 am 

The new guy blows! Not only does he not know Pirates stuff, but he calls a bad game, plain and simple. The HR thing on every fly ball, every ball out of play down the lie is hooked(even if it is actually slicing), etc. He also NEVER seems to get the color guy's jokes or comments and instead of just leaving it go says something that is unrelated and looks even more foolish. He is just awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
The new guy blows! Not only does he not know Pirates stuff, but he calls a bad game, plain and simple. The HR thing on every fly ball, every ball out of play down the lie is hooked(even if it is actually slicing), etc. He also NEVER seems to get the color guy's jokes or comments and instead of just leaving it go says something that is unrelated and looks even more foolish. He is just awful.

You can't have it both ways. So may fans complain about the Bucs hiring home boys to announce who have no prior experience such as Blass, Wehner, and Walk.....then complain when they bring in guys like the new guy who have no clue about Pirate history.

You can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:20 pm 

Everette has no prior play-by-play in the majors. This is his first season. He is not going to be as good this season as he will in later years. I compare it to a rookie in the league. He is a bit monotonous at times, but he works well with Walk (alliteration, much?).

Give him more time. I believe that he will be better next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Everette has no prior play-by-play in the majors. This is his first season. He is not going to be as good this season as he will in later years. I compare it to a rookie in the league. He is a bit monotonous at times, but he works well with Walk (alliteration, much?).

Lanny was bad in the beginning.

Greg Brown was horrible, and still is!

I did not realilze this was Everetts first job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:27 pm 

Animal wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

You can't have it both ways. So may fans complain about the Bucs hiring home boys to announce who have no prior experience such as Blass, Wehner, and Walk.....then complain when they bring in guys like the new guy who have no clue about Pirate history.

You can't have it both ways.

Actually, yes you can. It is entirely possible to have an objective, experienced announcer who knows a significant amount of Pirate history. Plenty of other networks are able to find such people to broadcast the games of other teams. The two are not mutually exclusive. For instance, you can always hire a guy who has been announcing for one of the Pirates' long-time minor league teams, like the Altoona Curve. I'll bet he knows something about Pirate history. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:55 pm 

Animal wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Lanny was bad in the beginning.

Greg Brown was horrible, and still is!

OK, so is anybody good? Does Jesus Christ do play by play?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:03 pm 

[quote="doug frobel

OK, so is anybody good? Does Jesus Christ do play by play?[/quote]

The new guy doesn't bother me. I think his name is Neverett, not everett, right? He is just kinda vanilla to me, which is okay, and I prefer that much more than the overgrown cheerleader announcing of Greg Brown...where every fly ball sounds like a HR, and every win sounds like the 7th game of the World Series. The guy is so fake, and he forces things too much. He works to hard and trying to make catch phrases, or give nicknames.

While neither Wehner or Walk have great announcing voices, I think both do a good job. The are knowledgable and have some good personal references from the game. Same with Blass.

As for Jesus Christ...I think he would be too quiet as an announcer....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:07 pm 

Animal wrote:

Everett was doing minor league games the past few years, and also worked as a radio host. His play-by-play experience is pretty limited and this is his first major league gig.

Is he great right now? No. Is he going to get better? Yes. In today's game, he was a sounding board for Bob Walk's well-founded criticism of the fact that the Pirates were swinging at pitches out of the strike zone against a guy who walked 8 and should have been gone in the first inning.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 pm 

I thought he worked for the Rockies. i thought Walk was going to jump out of the booth and go down and strangle someone. I have never heard him get so upset during a game. He had to work to contain himself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:20 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Animal wrote:

Everett was doing minor league games the past few years, and also worked as a radio host. His play-by-play experience is pretty limited and this is his first major league gig.

Is he great right now? No. Is he going to get better? Yes. In today's game, he was a sounding board for Bob Walk's well-founded criticism of the fact that the Pirates were swinging at pitches out of the strike zone against a guy who walked 8 and should have been gone in the first inning.

I'm not as much irritated by his call, it's his incorrect terminology. My example that irritates me most is everything in his book hooks foul, it never slices. This is incorrect. I don't care if this is his first year or not. And his personality...or lack there of. Just after posting it earlier today he gave me an example. After joking with Walk back and forth about the players wearing the collars up and the throwback stuff in general, Walk quipped in reference to the collars being up, "well remember it is October"(a reference to the 1909 World Series tribute, thus the uniforms). Now they had just spent 5 minutes talking about it and the new guy says, "October? You mean here on June 14th, sunny and 75". Walk was left with nothing to say because the goofball didn't get the joke. And he never seems to get the color guys jokes. We have gone from Lanny laughing at everything, funny or not, to a guy who doesn't EVER get the joke.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 pm 

Exactly Parrot. I don't mind his calls but he keeps putting his foot in his mouth. He was talking about the throwback aspect of the game and how the scoreboard only had room to spell Pittsburgh without the H. Someone from the truck must have clued him in on the fact that that was how Pittsburgh was spelled at that time because he corrected himself a couple of minutes later. Maybe he just needs to do his homework a little more diligently. He does that he will be fine.