Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craziest thing i have ever seen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:37 am 

Did anyone else see the Indians and Royals game Thursday where the winning base hit game hit off of a seagull?
He is the article with a video in it. It is something else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,169742

Post subject: Re: Craziest thing i have ever seen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:35 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Did anyone else see the Indians and Royals game Thursday where the winning base hit game hit off of a seagull?

That was crazy...I think I remember that happening before (maybe not in the ninth) in Cinci or Baltimore. I wonder if anyone else knows.

Milton Bradley and Castillo dropping the final out are also very strange.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:56 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

That was crazy...I think I remember that happening before (maybe not in the ninth) in Cinci or Baltimore. I wonder if anyone else knows.

I remember when Randy Johnson blew a dove apart a couple years ago during spring training.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I remember when Randy Johnson blew a dove apart a couple years ago during spring training.

If I recall correctly, Dave Winfield was arrested for hitting a bird with a thrown ball back in Seattle many years ago. Anybody remember this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 pm 

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Dave Winfield was arrested for hitting a bird with a thrown ball back in Seattle many years ago. Anybody remember this?

I found an article on it.
While warming up at the bottom of the fifth inning in a game against the Toronto Blue Jays in August 1983, New York Yankees left fielder Dave Winfield threw a ball - and hit a sea gull which was waddling along near the Yankees dugout. His feat was met with a chorus of boos from Toronto fans.
Despite protesting his innocence, Winfield was arrested, charged with "willfully causing unnecessary cruelty to animals," and required to post a $500 bond before leaving Canada.

Among his supporters was Yankees manager Billy Martin. "They say Winfield hit that bird on purpose," he remarked. "They wouldn't say that if they saw some of the throws he's been making all year!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

I found an article on it.
While warming up at the bottom of the fifth inning in a game against the Toronto Blue Jays in August 1983, New York Yankees left fielder Dave Winfield threw a ball - and hit a sea gull which was waddling along near the Yankees dugout. His feat was met with a chorus of boos from Toronto fans.
Despite protesting his innocence, Winfield was arrested, charged with "willfully causing unnecessary cruelty to animals," and required to post a $500 bond before leaving Canada.

Among his supporters was Yankees manager Billy Martin. "They say Winfield hit that bird on purpose," he remarked. "They wouldn't say that if they saw some of the throws he's been making all year!"

Great research. I do vaguely remember that now that you posted it. That was probably the year I got ESPN (or maybe not for a few years later) so I doubt I ever saw any video of it.