Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hickory Crawdads..
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:46 pm 

mr. crawdad welcome back to the board! :D Have you gone to any games?
I bet some more of the new guys will move from State College to Hickory.

Brad Lincoln had a bad outing Thursday night, giving up seven runs in five innings (five earned) in a 7-1 loss to Asheville. Wanell Macia, a former position player, pitched a scoreless inning of relief.

The Crawdads were rained out tonight. I listened to the Lynchburg game. Miles Durham still looking for his first hit as a Hillcat. They got beat by the Winston-Salem Warthogs.

Attachments:
Wanell Macia.gif
Wanell Macia.gif [ 43 Bytes | Viewed 215 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:19 am 

Thanks for the props...I've been going regularly...was a little flummoxed after one of NH assistants, who was on Leyland's staff in PGH...first base coach I believe...said he thought there was five or six prospects here this year...He liked McClune...Durham and J. Delosantos, Marcus Davis and obviously Lincoln...but frankly I can't see it...except for Lincoln...I was hoping to see Lattimore here this year but he's at State College...what's your opinion on Alvarez, and Wilson signing soon and eventually starting here?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:48 am 

Was it Carlos Garcia who you heard interviewed? I listened to that interview (on WMNC The Big Dog) through milb.com.
I was surprised that he mentioned CF Mc Clune as having some potential. He's currently hitting .231.

The Crawdads were swept in their double header against Augusta yesterday. Not many bright spots to report. Albert Laboy went deep on one of the Giants top pitching prospects. The 6'0' 175 lb 21 year old hails from Boynton Beach, Fla.
He was our 14th round selection in '05.

After hitting .287 for the Crawdads last year Laboy struggled at Lynchburg, .182 in 33 games. Since being demoted he's played well for Hickory again, batting lead off and starting in left field. He's hitting .291 in 22 games (23 for 79, five doubles, three homers.)

Attachments:
Albert Laboy.gif
Albert Laboy.gif [ 43 Bytes | Viewed 167 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 am 

My PC crashed a few days ago and I haven't been able to attach photos since. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

mr. crawdad, do you have the ability to post any footage of future Hickory games on youtube? This is the only Hickory Crawdads stuff I can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mfEeMUsvaA

Attachments:
Albert Laboy.gif
Albert Laboy.gif [ 43 Bytes | Viewed 159 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:08 pm 

No it was not Carlos Garcia...older guy...was the first base coach for Leyland in the 90's...white guy is the rover special assistant..was with Leyland in Colorado and Florida...

Don't have the ability to post video...sorry...

any word about Alvarez, WIlson and his pal from Fresno State?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:07 pm 

Mr. Crawford, could you be referring to Tommy Sandt? He was our first base coach until 1996 under Leyland.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:13 pm 

Man, I'm racking my brain. I can't think of any of Jim Leyland's coaches. Ray Miller?

I can remember Al Monchak & Joe Lonnett with Chuck Tanner, Bob Skinner with Danny Murtaugh.. how long was Tommy Sandt with the Pirates? I met him in the mid eighties I think.

While I was sitting here thinking I just learned that former Pirate Bill Robinson passed away last year. I didn't know that. I feel sad now.

I'm also waiting to find out when those guys will get signed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:36 pm 

I'm thinking of Rich Donnelly...he also said that Lynchburg had about 5 legit prospects...who might that be?...Shelby Ford, Jamie Romak, Moskos?...

Guys I just haven't seen the talent come through here since Doumit, Eldred, Chris SHelton, Jr. House, CHris Young, Johnny V., Burnett, Pierce and McCutcheon...there for about five years there seemed to be about five legit prospects a year...guess it takes time after so many years of questionable drafts...

From everything I read Mickey White was responsible for most of the young guys there in the Burgh right now...the new regime has just gotten started...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:22 pm 

mr. crawdad wrote:
I'm thinking of Rich Donnelly...he also said that Lynchburg had about 5 legit prospects...who might that be?...Shelby Ford, Jamie Romak, Moskos?...

Correct, it is Rich Donnelly. Have no clue who the 5 prospects might be. What is the scouting report on Romak? He obviously has the power, and plenty of K's to go with it. Does he have enough discipline to be an Adam Dunn, or is he another Brad Eldred?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:33 pm 

when Romak was here last year he exhibited more patience than the normal guy at A ball would...he and Jason Delaney were two of the most patient hitters I've seen come through the Bucs system...Romak has much more power and Delaney was a doubles machine...neither had much speed, nor a great arm...Corley if he cuts down on his wiffs, seems to be a better prospect...has more tools at least from what I remember...

The guy I was impressed with considering his age was Marcus Davis could really run and turn on a fastball...raw, and has the same body build as...wait here's a 70's throwback....Gary Maddux...unfortunately he's hurt right now...knee I think and may not return this year...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:50 pm 

Thanks for the info on Marcus Davis. I was following him via firstinning and he had a good spell going. What is his injury?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:25 am 

Davis has a knee injury.

Matthew Hague hit a two run homer in the top of the 9th to help Hickory win 6-4 over Augusta. Hague, a teammate of Jordy Mercer at Oklahoma State, was our 9th round pick in the recent draft.

Did Ty Taubenheim sport a mohawk in his start with the Buccos?

Attachments:
mohawk.jpg
mohawk.jpg [ 98.2 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:47 am 

Ollie, that picture is amazing. I missed his start with the Pirates though so I couldn't say.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:27 pm 

LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:31 pm 

I missed Hague's homer...nice aquisition...I missed out...we've been having afternoon T-storms here which has caused delays...or PPD's lately...will be at games Wed. thru Fri...

According to PG, talks are ongoing, but secretive with Alvarez, Wilson and Schleppers...Wonder what you guys think about Alzarez playing here this year if he signs in the next few weeks...Wilson needs to rest based on his innings the last few years...don't want another Lincoln..a.nd Schleppers(sp?) is recovering from injury and probably won't pitch again this year...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:34 pm 

There have been a plethora of scouts at recent Hky games...A.L. especially ...Detroit, Cleveland and the Yankees...Cubs and Brewers scouts were in the ballpark on the last homestand...Five were here when Lincoln pitched at home a couple of weeks back...

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:02 pm 

mr. crawdad wrote:
There have been a plethora of scouts at recent Hky games...A.L. especially ...Detroit, Cleveland and the Yankees...Cubs and Brewers scouts were in the ballpark on the last homestand...Five were here when Lincoln pitched at home a couple of weeks back...

Thoughts?

All contenders, all in need of some OF help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 pm 

mr. crawdad, let us know how Brad Lincoln looks tomorrow night. If there are no more home rainouts this week I'll be seeing Brad pitch the night of July 7 here in Eastlake, Ohio. It would be on six days rest. I can NOT wait, man!! :?

Ty Taubenheim is from the state of Washington. Four current Crawdads hail from that state! Third baseman Matt Hague, starting pitchers Bradley Clapp & Duke Welker, and relief pitcher Harrison Bishop. (Dustin Molleken is from Saskatchewan!)

Hague is 13 for 39 in his brief minor league career, seven games for State College and four games for Hickory. He's hitting .333 with three doubles, 2 HR, 6 RBI, .422 OBP!

Attachments:
Matt Hague.jpg
Matt Hague.jpg [ 43.67 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:59 pm 

I'll try to get out and see Mr. Lincoln on the bump toein' the slab...am conflicted though...Bucs are on the Dish again tonite...actually the Reds announcers were/are pretty complimentary of the PBC...George Grande is a real pro with many ancedotes and a wealth of knowledge...to be honest I have XM and I really can't stand listening to the hometown announcers Lanny and the boys...good God are they boring...except for Walk...I mean I don't recall the Gunner and even Milo Hamilton and Lanny being that boring...

Even the guys on MASN, Sutton and Bob Carpenter are informative and lively...I've seen or heard just about every national league broadcast team and I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a poll, the PBC would have the dullest and least informative and entertaining group around...too much time reading promos and dropping in commerical sponsors and reading stats without weaving a nice ancedote....can you tell I'm a little ticked at our PBC?...

On the trade front...Tampa Bay looks like it could use some bullpen help...Would Grabow and or Taylor Yates work for some minor leaguers...in return for one infielder with pop and a SP...preferably that is a righty...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 pm 

Monday night Duke Welker gave up three quick runs but settled down, pitched 5 innings, 3 er, 5 hits in a 7-2 loss to Augusta.

Tonight Brad Lincoln was cruising along in a pitchers duel. He gave up a two run homer in the 5th and then completely unraveled in the 6th. The Crawdads were losing 8-0 last I checked. In 5.1 innings Lincoln gave up 7 runs (all earned) on 7 hits. Ouch!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next