Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hickory Crawdads..
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm 

You can listen to most affiliated Minor League baseball games for free on MILB.com. I often listen to games. A lot of times during the week they start at noon or earlier and run past 1:00 A.M.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:56 pm 

Here's the newest photo of Brad Lincoln. What a fine outing he had last night!

6 1/3 innings, 1 earned run, 5 hits, no walks, 6 K (lowered his ERA to 2.01.)

Attachments:
CleanshavenBrad.jpg
CleanshavenBrad.jpg [ 38.19 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 pm 

Ollie, enjoying your updates as always. I'm sure you know about it, but I visited the Crawdads Blog for the first time today. What a great job that guy does! http://www.crawdadsblog.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:23 am 

Thanks for telling me about that blog.. man, thats a great site!
Tonight the Crawdads were hammered 16-10 by Augusta. They remain nine games back in the SAL Northern Division.

Matt Cavagnaro drove in three runs tonight. Duke Welker gets the start tomorrow night. Brad Lincoln will pitch Sunday.

Attachments:
cAvAgNaRo.jpg
cAvAgNaRo.jpg [ 31.29 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:24 am 

Managing just two baserunners all night, the Crawdads lost their eighth straight road game,
7-0, to Augusta on Saturday.

Erik Huber (below) earned the only hit of the night for Hickory (28-35), leading off the second inning with a single.

Duke Welker finished with four innings of work, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits, striking out one and walking two. With the loss, Welker drops to 1-3 on the season.

Attachments:
Augusta 7, Crawdads 0.jpg
Augusta 7, Crawdads 0.jpg [ 25.93 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:02 am 

The Crawdads suffered their fourth sweep of the season in a 2-1 loss to Augusta on Sunday.

Ace Brad Lincoln allowed just two runs (both earned) in five innings. But for the second straight night, the Crawdads offense stalled, able only to muster one run on six hits.

The Dads (28-36) managed their run on a Bobby Spain pinch-hit sacrifice fly. Lincoln took the loss for Hickory, moving to 3-2 this season.

Dustin Molleken (4-3 6.02) gets the start Tuesday as the Greenville Drive come into down for a three game series.

Attachments:
DL&BL.jpg
DL&BL.jpg [ 4.72 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 am 

Sunday Augusta beat Hickory 2-1. Brad Lincoln took the loss. He pitched 5 innings, gave up two earned runs on nine hits, struck out four, walked none. His record fell to 3-2 and his ERA now stands at 2.30.

Last night Crawdad reliever Matt Mc Swain blew a save as the Greenville Drive rallied to beat Hickory 10-9 in the first of a three game series. Dustin Molleken got hammered again. Bobby Spain had three hits in the loss.

Rafael Delossantos (2-4 4.63) gets the start Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:29 pm 

Boy, this Hickory team is just not very good. They lose every night it seems. Tonight Greenville beat the Crawdads 5-2. Delossantos pitched OK.. 5 innings, 3 earned runs on 6 hits, 3 bb, 4 K. Heis ERA is now 4.69.

Bobby Spain went 0 for 4 after nearly hitting for the cycle Tuesday night.

Attachments:
Spain.jpg
Spain.jpg [ 47.5 KiB | Viewed 112 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:18 am 

The loss extends the Crawdads' losing streak to a season-high seven games. Hickory has also lost 15 of 17 games, its worst such run since the 2005 season.

First baseman Miles Durham had three hits Wednesday night.

Attachments:
DuRhAm.jpg
DuRhAm.jpg [ 64.97 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:08 am 

Despite losing to Greenville and seeing his record fall to 0-6 Bradley Clapp pitched well Thursday night. Clapp's line: 7 innings, 2 er, 5 h, 0 bb, 5 K.

Friday night the Crawdads snapped their eight game losing streak as they opened a three game series against the Asheville Tourists, winning 7-4. All-star third baseman Bobby Spain led the charge, going 3-4 with three runs and two driven in.

Hickory starter Duke Welker did not figure in the decision.. 5 innings, 4 er, 5 h, 1bb, 5 K.

Attachments:
Bradley Clapp.jpg
Bradley Clapp.jpg [ 43.12 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:24 am 

Spent my early morning studying the Crawdads schedule. Hickory competes in the Northern Division of the South Atlantic League yet they play the majority of their games against the teams of the Southern Division. Hickory, NC is closer to the cities of those teams.

For instance they play six series against Southern Division Asheville (NC) for a total of sixteen games yet they play only four games all season against SAL Northern Div. leader Lake County (none at home.) I'll be seeing the Hillcats play here in Eastlake, Ohio in July.

Actually I listened to the Lynchburg-Kinston Carolina League game last night. Hillcats third baseman Jim Negrich is leading the league in hitting with a .352 clip!

The Hillcats wore their throwback 1983 Lynchburg Mets jerseys (Dwight Gooden & D. Strawberry starred for Lynchburg back in the day! Gooden won 19 games and struck out 300 for a Lynchburg team that finish 96-43 in 1983! Lenny Dykstra stole 105 bases for them. Amazing numbers!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:22 pm 

Not to bore you but I saw Lynchburg play in 1998. The Salem Avalanche VS the Lynchburg Hiilcats in Salem Va. It was my first experience in Minor leauge baseball. Salem Memorial Baseball Stadium faces east looking at Blue Ridge Mountains. As the sun set the Mountains changed colors. Brown/green to red to blue to purple. Simply beautiful. The promotion that night was post game midget wrestling. A man also "streaked' in the 8th inning. It went into extra innings and as I had to get up early I left at the end of the 9th and missed the Midget wrestling. The Avalanche won in the 11th 8-7

Lynchburg 5/21/98
Redmen Center
Brito Short
Haverbusch Third
G.Long Right
C. Wilson D.H.
Walker First
Pointer Left
Haad Catcher
Lorenzana Second.

I missed the starting pitcher. I was not used to scoring the D.H. Craig Wilson Tripled?

Beside Tyke Redmen and Craig Wilson. Abraham Nunez and Rob Mackowiak where also on that team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:04 am 

Interesting, Juan! Were their uniforms similar?

Last night the Crawdads won their second straight game.. the first time winning back-to-back games since May 22-23. Hickory defeated the Asheville Tourists 5-3.

Starting pitcher Brad Lincoln threw 6 innings, allowing nine hits and three earned runs with two walks and four strikeouts.

Attachments:
Brad Lincoln.jpg
Brad Lincoln.jpg [ 40.66 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:52 pm 

Hickory could not sweep Asheville on Father's Day. The Crawdads lost 8-6, allowing the Tourists to clinch the South Atlantic League first-half Southern Division title.

Hickory's Miles Durham struck a two-run home run in the fourth inning, his second in as many nights and his 12th of the season, driving in himself and Albert Laboy, who led the frame off with a triple.

But the Asheville retired 14 straight Crawdads while Asheville retook the lead.

Hickory starter Dustin Molleken took the loss, saddled with six runs (five earned) on 10 hits in 5.2 innings, allowing no walks and striking out two.

The Crawdads finished 30-40. 11 games out for the first half of the South Atlantic League season.

Attachments:
De los Santos.jpg
De los Santos.jpg [ 70.38 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:28 am 

Rafael Delossantos (OK, I get it now.. his name is one word, the shortstop is De Los Santos) got hammered again. The Crawdads fall to 1-3 in the second half with their 10-5 loss to the Drive.

First baseman Miles Durham continues his hot hitting. He had three more hits, including his 14th homerun, raising his batting average to .339 on the season. This may lead the league..

Albert Laboy has been hitting well (20 for 59) since being demoted from Lynchburg.

Attachments:
De Los Santos.jpg
De Los Santos.jpg [ 46.07 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 pm 

Hickory's Miles Durham and Jose De Los Santos have been promoted to Class-A Advanced Lynchburg after All-Star first halves with Hickory.

Joining the duo is infielder Victor Alvarez, also heading to Lynchburg following an earlier stint this year with the Double-A Altoona Curve.

Durham receives his promotion in his third year in the Pittsburgh Pirates system, having played for the short-season Williamsport CrossCutters and State College Spikes in 2006 and 2007, respectively. After combining for just three home runs and 28 RBI in his first two years, the 25-year-old Durham has exploded for 14 home runs, 57 RBI and a .348 average. He leaves Hickory leading the team in games, at-bats, average, runs, home runs, doubles, RBI, hits, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.

Durham was one of two Crawdads to homer twice in a game this season, pulling off the feat on two occasions, and he also notched hitting streaks of nine, 11, 12 and 14 games, the last of which will remain active. His move to Lynchburg represents the highest level he's reached yet, matching his brother Tyler, who reached high-A in the St. Louis Cardinals organization.

De Los Santos, meanwhile, started 58 games at shortstop for Hickory, earning all-star recognition in the league's first half. He leaves having led the Crawdads in stolen bases with 14.

Alvarez totaled seven hits, five runs and five RBIs in 15 games with Hickory this season.

Replacing the trio are a triad of infielders: Greg Picart from Lynchburg, Jordy Mercer from the State College Spikes and Mercer's State College teammate Matthew Hague. Mercer was Pittsburgh's third-round draft pick earlier this month and Hague a ninth-round selection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:15 pm 

Ollie, thanks for the updates. Nice to see that farmhands are being promoted on the basis of merit as opposed to the way it often was done under previous regimes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:16 pm 

wasn't Durham a little old for the Sally league?...do you expect more draft picks to come our way?...especially if Wilson and or Alvarez sign sooner than later?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 pm 

mr. crawdad wrote:
wasn't Durham a little old for the Sally league?...do you expect more draft picks to come our way?...especially if Wilson and or Alvarez sign sooner than later?

To answer your first question, yeah, I would say 25 is a little old for the Sally League to be considered a prospect. Since it was his third year in our system, I am guessing he was a college player who Littlefield started far lower than most college kids start. If he breaks out this year and can make it to AA by the end of the year, he might end up being a little interesting.

As for getting more draft picks, who knows. I personally would advocate starting most college guys, especially those taken in the top 3 rounds, as high as Lynchburg...if they struggle, they can always drop down a rung and play in the Sally League. However, it seems as if NH might be a little more conservative than I am, so you have a good chance of seeing a couple picks in Hickory. I'm glad to see both Hague and Mercer promoted.

On a personal note, good to see you back Mr. Crawdad. I missed your firsthand insights into our lower levels of the farm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm 

For anyone with an urge to follow the minors, firstinning.com is the best for my money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next