Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hickory Crawdads..
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 am 

Good assessmnt Ollie...Lincoln's velocity was down a little...while his pitches were up; especially in the 6th...his control was marvelous while the guys behind him were a little shaky especially in the 6th...I noticed that Lincoln throws most of his pitches the same velocity or close to it...there's not a gap from his fastball to his off speed, slider...perhaps he'll be working on a true off speed pitch...his control is marvelous...He reminds me so much of Capps, only a few inches shorter...

Hague looks like the real deal!...Three homers already since he's been here...

I'm working games Wed. thru Friday...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:25 am 

Hickory used an eighth-inning comeback to defeat the Columbus Catfish 3-2 in the first of their four game series Wednesday night.

Catcher Andrew Walker started the charge with a solo home run to lead off the frame, getting the 'Dads within a run. Then a slew of Columbus miscues helped Hickory complete its triumph.

In the remainder of the inning, the Catfish committed two errors, saw a passed ball, threw a wild pitch, hit a batter and walked a batter, culminating in Albert Laboy's go-ahead sacrifice fly to drive in Danny Bomback and give the 'Dads their 3-2 lead.

In the top of the ninth, Wanell Macia allowed one hit and struck out the final two batters of the game swinging to slam the door and earn Hickory the win.

Attachments:
Laboy.jpg
Laboy.jpg [ 43.81 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:38 am 

Ollie, have you been keeping track of Miles Durham since his promotion to Lynchburg? If not, sad to say, he's off to a brutal start. 0-for-5 tonight, and 0-for-21 so far at High-A, with 9 strikeouts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:28 am 

Bob, I didn't know he was still hitless. I noticed when he was 0-for-10 or so. The Hillcats home games are not included in the milb.com audio broadcasts.. I wonder why.

Jordy Mercer is hitting about .100 with the Crawdads right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:18 am 

The Crawdads have lost three top hitters recently with the callups of Durham, Delosantos and Spain...Spain is now injured...Durham is 0-21 and Delosantos is by far the best defensive prospect the Bucs have at short while being only a slap hitter...That has left the 'Dads with little offensive punch and I shutter at the prospects for the remainder of the year...

I saw last night's game...scouts from AL including Tampa and Detroit and Cleveland were on hand...

Hague, while showing pop, has struggled mightedly defensively and Mercer looks a bit overmatched...As for Lincoln's performance on Tuesday...was strong for 3-4 innings but blew up and got frustrated...I wonder at 23 and with nosigns of a breakout performance, if the Bucs would consider him as a reliever, ala Capps?...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:25 pm 

mr. crawdad,

What are the normal velocities of Lincoln and Welker's fastballs????

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 pm 

Lincoln is by far more dominant...90-92 for 3-4 innings and has four pitches...

Welker is 87-89 and his control is not nearly what Lincoln's is...scouts have said that they see Welker as reliever if he makes it to the Bigs...

Funny how a pair of #2 picks might end up as relievers...Mike Felix and Welker, both with Hickory and both struggling...Felix one inning looks dominant and the next has the Steve Blass syndrome...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:22 am 

Mike Felix got hit hard last night. A tie game after six innings turned into a Columbus romp, 10-4 on Thursday night.

In the eighth Felix allowed three singles, two walks and a sacrifice fly before leaving the game with the bases loaded. His replacement Charry surrendered a bases-clearing double that broke the game open.

The Crawdads lost for just the third time in 10 meetings with the Catfish. Felix took the loss, dropping to 3-3. Erik Huber and Danny Bomback had two hits each in the loss.

Matt Hague has been playing first base the past couple of games. He was 0-for-3 last night..

Attachments:
Hague at 1st base.jpg
Hague at 1st base.jpg [ 63.68 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:47 am 

Hickory came away with an 8-4 July 4th win over Columbus Friday, in front of a season-high crowd.

With 5,283 fans in attendance at L.P. Frans Stadium for the Independence Day showdown between the Crawdads and Catfish, Hickory starting pitcher Bradley Clapp contributed another solid effort.

Clapp tossed five frames, allowing two runs (one earned) on seven hits and three walks, striking out a pair en route to his second win of the season. After starting 0-6 this season, Clapp has now gone 2-0 in his last four appearances, including an ERA of 2.63 in his last five starts. It also marked his first home win of the year.

Jordy Mercer snapped a 1-for-28 slump with a two-out, two-run double in the third inning to break a 1-1 tie.

Then in the sixth inning, with Hickory ahead 5-2 and looking for the knockout, Matt Hague delivered a two-out, three-run double in his first bases loaded at-bat of the year to give the Crawdads their biggest lead of the night at 8-2.

Mercer finished 2-4 with his two RBIs. Hague ended 3-5 with his three runs driven in.

Attachments:
Bradley Clapp.jpg
Bradley Clapp.jpg [ 45.75 KiB | Viewed 115 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:36 pm 

Brad Lincoln was interviewed in the Saturday Spotlight section of the Crawdads site:

SS: Brad, you're obviously a big-time pitching prospect. You look at all the rankings in various publications, does it ever get to you that you're anything but just a starter for the Crawdads?

BL: Nope, I just see myself as another guy, another player. I just go out there and pitch every day and try and do my job. I hear it all the time, I know it's out there that I'm a high profile guy, but you know I just go out there and do my thing and hopefully it works out for the best every night and I go out there and give my team a chance to win. I don't really take it as being here and being a high-profile guy, I just see myself as part of the team and try to have fun with it.

SS: What's it been like for you this season, coming back from Tommy John surgery and jumping back into the pool in 2008?

BL: It's been a lot of fun. I love to compete and go out there and do my thing. To be able to be with a team and have the camaraderie in the clubhouse -- to be on the bus trips and stuff; it gets long but we have fun with it. And being able to go out there and pitch against another team is something that I'm paid to do and I live for, so it's good to be back out and playing again.

SS: You can't be serious that you actually enjoy and missed the bus rides.

BL: [Chuckles] Yeah, like I said, that's part of being a minor leaguer and you have to pay your dues to where you gotta be. But like the trip we're going to this week [Ed.'s note: Hickory makes its longest bus trip of the year, 503 miles, to Lake County on Sunday, July 6.], it's gonna be a long one. But hopefully we'll get up there and if you start winning games it isn't that bad. It's just one of those things you have to deal with.

SS: Now you're a pretty mature fella, already engaged and you've bought a house. Talk about that where you go from the last couple years playing in college or rookie ball to now being at this stage in your life where you're trying to make the majors in a couple years and making these other big life choices. Is that sort of the norm at this stage?

BL: Yeah I'd say it's more of the norm. Guys want to start moving on with their life and making choices in their life at this point in their careers. I'm blessed to have a fiance that loves and cares about what I do and respects what I do. It's hard on us sometimes, but we'll make it and like I said, I just purchased a home back in my hometown and getting married this December. So it's going to be a lot of changes for me in these next few months. But I'm looking forward to it and hopefully it'll work out.

SS: Is it hard to balance baseball and pitching every fifth day when you're thinking "Should we get chicken or fish? A band or a DJ?" Is that difficult?

BL: [Chuckles] Not really thinking about that right now. We've still got a few months to think about that. I'm just focusing on what's at hand now, going out every day and doing what I need to do and once the season's over we'll think about other things. But right now, it's all about baseball.

SS: Looking down the road baseball-wise, it's obviously out of your control, but do you place any expectations or timetable on yourself for getting to the majors?

BL: No, I don't put a timetable on myself, I don't want to jinx myself or anything. But it'll come and when it happens, it happens. I'm just gonna keep competing until it does. I'm not going to slack off and think I have it made just because of who I am. You know, hopefully it's sooner rather than later, but I'm just gonna go out there and play the game of baseball. And when I make it is when I make it.

SS: Well, Brad, thank you so much. Anybody you'd like to say hi to that might be reading this or hearing the interview?

BL: Just want to put a shout out to my parents, my grandparents, my sister, my fiance. Like I said, she's always there behind me. And just everyone out there that's a big fan of mine, I just say thank you.

Attachments:
B r a d.jpg
B r a d.jpg [ 38.19 KiB | Viewed 86 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:56 am 

The Crawdads suffered their worst defeat in more than a year, losing 12-0 to the Columbus Catfish on Saturday.
It was the biggest loss for Hickory this season since a 9-0 blanking to Savannah in May.

The hilight for me was hearing the Crawdad's announcer Mike Janela read my e~mail during the broadcast.

Hickory starter Duke Welker took the loss, allowing seven runs (six earned) on six hits in five innings before having to leave with an injury. The defeat drops Welker to 1-6 on the season.

The 'Dads only managed five hits. Albert Laboy contributed two doubles in a 2-4 night. Erik Huber also went 2-4 with a pair of singles.

The Crawdads will use an off day Sunday to travel north, where they will begin a four-game series at Lake County in Eastlake, OH Monday night. I will be in attendance to check out Brad Lincoln (4-4, 4.50 ERA.) It will be a treat to see the Captain's best starting pitcher as well. Dominican righty Kelvin De La Cruz is 6-3 with a 1.74 ERA. The Indians are very high on him. He pitched five innings of a no-hitter for Mahoning Valley last year. Here's an article on De La Cruz:

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/0 ... _la_c.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 am 

Friday the Crawdads opened the first of a four game road series against the Hagerstown Suns. Hickory won 4-2, their third straight win during the current eight game trip.

Duke Welker pitched his best baseball of his one year professional career. Welker threw a career high seven innings, allowing one run on five hits, with one walk and seven strikeouts. At one point, Welker retired nine straight Suns hitters.

Attachments:
Duke Welker.jpg
Duke Welker.jpg [ 27.71 KiB | Viewed 201 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:38 am 

Good news! After two bad outings Brad Lincoln pitched very well last night. Shut out ball for 6 2/3 innings in Hagerstown last night. The Crawdads beat the Suns 4-1.

Lincoln (5-5) gave up no runs on four hits, two walks, seven strike outs, and lowered her ERA to 4.65. This is the performance I was hoping to see in Eastlake Monday.

Tom Boleska pitched the final two and a third to notch his fifth save. Boleska's ERA is a sparkling 2.36.

Matt Hague stroked a double and a homerun, his fifth since joing the 'Dads. He's hitting .375 in sixteen games of Sally League action.

Attachments:
Tom Boleska.jpg
Tom Boleska.jpg [ 71.05 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:22 pm 

That is good news about Lincoln, Ollie. I am interested to see how he progresses in August, since that was the "timetable" for when he would be able to let it go. If he is in good health through the rest of this year, and starts to increase his strength and velocity in August, that would be great news - Lincoln is the most likely Pirate pitcher in the minors to have top of the rotation stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:56 pm 

hopefully I'll see him Thursday at home...a couple of scouts on the last homestand said that they thought he was mentally tougher than most pitchers they've seen at this level...then again he's 23...one who saw Moskos this year thinks he'll eventually wind up as a reliever once he builds up his stamina and gets more innings throughout the minors...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:24 pm 

Good job Mr. Crawdad. Keep us up on the inside poop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 pm 

I wonder if mr. crawdad is visiting a Rangers board these days.

I was looking my thread here from last year. Could anyone give me a guess as to why Hickory's official site features game photos and West Virginia has nothing? I've not seen one game photo or any kind of photo on the Power's site. To find Power photos I search the blogs of Power fans.

Currently the Power and Crawdads are one game behind division leading Kannapolis in the South Atlantic League's Northern Division.