Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates Acquire Morton---Morton Injured in 1st Inning
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:37 pm 

Wow this is the Pirates for ya! We get Morton and now he is leaving the game. I really hope it is nothing serious and he looked good in the one inning. The idiotic move in my opinion is to use Zack Duke as his pinch hitter? Just to save position players? Pretty bad move in my opinion. Lets see how duke hits.

Post subject: Re: Pirates Acquire Morton---Morton Injured in 1st Inning
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 pm 

The Duke pinch hitting move was actually a pretty good move, I think.

As far as the other deal.....the McLouth deal just looks better and better, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
As far as the other deal.....the McLouth deal just looks better and better, doesn't it?

Sigh. I knew someone would post something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:34 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you are the Pittsburgh Pirates. You can't blame management for it but it still sucks big.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you are the Pittsburgh Pirates. You can't blame management for it but it still sucks big.

I'm not going to get too worked up over it. He's got a tight hamstring. It happens. It's not like his arm fell off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:53 pm 

True but it isn't encouraging no big deal but still not encouraging.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:58 am 

To hyped up to be pitching against his ex team in his first start of the year. Probably over did it warming up. Not a big deal. He is a good pitcher and will be back hopefully for his next start. Karstens came in a did a real good job. Maybe he found his niche with the club as a long reliever spot starter type.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 am 

bigdawg6954 wrote:
To hyped up to be pitching against his ex team in his first start of the year. Probably over did it warming up. Not a big deal. He is a good pitcher and will be back hopefully for his next start. Karstens came in a did a real good job. Maybe he found his niche with the club as a long reliever spot starter type.

He better, because that's Karstens's future in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 am 

Just watched replay of the bottom of the first. Morton was throwing really, really well even with his tight hamstring. His fastball is 93-95 and his curve is one of those that has velocity and snaps down. If he has a change-up, he is going to be filthy in the rotationi. I can see why he had a 2.21 ERA in AAA with a ton of K's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 am 

I was thinking that this trade was one that hurt the team in the short term but might be good in the long run.

After seeing McCutcheon for a few days, and Morton for just one inning, I think it might actually help us in the short term. Morton, assuming he will be able to pitch, looks like a pretty big upgrade over Karstens, while McCutcheon is barely a downgrade compared to McClouth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:21 am 

Willton wrote:
He better, because that's Karstens's future in the long run.

Sad but true.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 am 

No question in my mind that the Pirates are a much better team with Cutch in CF, Charlie Morton in the starting rotation, and Karstens in the Bullpen. To get that scenario, we traded Nate McClouth. I can definitely live with that!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:37 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
No question in my mind that the Pirates are a much better team with Cutch in CF, Charlie Morton in the starting rotation, and Karstens in the Bullpen. To get that scenario, we traded Nate McClouth. I can definitely live with that!

Who do you think should be playing the corner outfield positions? Just trying to get a read on your player evaluations.

Edit: Would they not be "betterer" with Cutch in CF and Nate in LF and any of the the AAAA pitchers instead of Morton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:55 am 

CNYBucs wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Who do you think should be playing the corner outfield positions? Just trying to get a read on your player evaluations.

Edit: Would they not be "betterer" with Cutch in CF and Nate in LF and any of the the AAAA pitchers instead of Morton

Perhaps in the short term, but not the long term. The pitching staff needs horses, and Duke and Maholm will not be around for much longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 am 

Willton wrote:
CNYBucs wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Perhaps in the short term, but not the long term. The pitching staff needs horses, and Duke and Maholm will not be around for much longer.

No, I do not think anyone worth a damn (can you say that here?) will be around, other than Doumit, by the trade deadline. FWIW, I think they should trade everyone and get what you can, no way they are competing for a 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:02 am 

CNYBucs wrote:

I know it was only one inning, but I really like what I saw with Charlie Morton. To get him, the Pirates had to trade away talent to get talent. That happened to be Nate McClouth. The Braves wanted Nate and NH was able to get a talented starting pitcher for him. I really think we are much better with Charlie Morton on the team

As far as the corner OF positions, we have to give Moss time to hopefully develop. Hopefully hitting coach Don Long will be able to unleash his bat. His bat will eventually determine whether he is here for the long haul. We need to ride it out with him. I don't think Morgan is the long term solution in LF, but again, if he continues to get on base and provides scoring opportunities, he'll hold his own as a starter (for now). I do like Young. I would plug him in for Moss or Morgan any time either really goes on long dry spell.

Having said all of that, it will take time for the Pirates to get some real offensive threats in LF and RF. Gorkys Hernandez and Jose Tabata might be the future for those positions.

The nice thing about all of this is now the Pirates at least have some depth in their system to offer hope for the not too distant future. And that hope is just not some "ok" players but potential stars. That's exciting. This Pirate organization is much much better off than it was two years ago with NH and FC at the helm!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:24 am 

Corner OF spots ... wow. The Buccos need some help here. Tabata is a possibility if he can stay healthy and hit in AA. Beyond him? Robbie Grossman, hitting .281 with a .370 OBP as a 19-year old in A-ball (but with a frightening 74 K's in 219 plate appearances). After those guys?? Nothing. No wonder the Pirates are being so patient with Brandon Moss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Corner OF spots ... wow. The Buccos need some help here. Tabata is a possibility if he can stay healthy and hit in AA. Beyond him? Robbie Grossman, hitting .281 with a .370 OBP as a 19-year old in A-ball (but with a frightening 74 K's in 219 plate appearances). After those guys?? Nothing. No wonder the Pirates are being so patient with Brandon Moss.

Yes indeed Bucfan. Keep drafting? Make trades? Will one of those positions (LF or RF) be the position the Pirates will finally have to pay big bucks for a FA to put them over the top if they ever get that close?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 am 

As far as the corner OF positions, we have to give Moss time to hopefully develop. Hopefully hitting coach Don Long will be able to unleash his bat. His bat will eventually determine whether he is here for the long haul

The verdict is in, and Moss is not a starting outfielder for a major league team.

Whether it is K'ing or the patended 2 hopper to the first baseman, he is not going to be a run producer with his bat for this team.

Don Long can work with him till the cows come home, he is not the Player the Pirates need right now, or in the future.

Fake an injury with him, put him on the Dl, put him through waivers, if someone bites, then try to trade him, or just use him as a backup outfielder/pinch hitter.

If he is out of options, so be it, either deal him or disable him.(he must have pulled a hammy on one of those swinging strike 3's or grounder to first. The team could use that as an excuse.
I would give Garret Jones a shot right now, they are about the same age, but this Jones has showed at AAA that he can HIT, can drive in run's, and not k every other ab(or especially when the LAST thing you need is a K.)
I don't know what the Pirates see in this guy, yes, he plays a very good right field, but he is no Clemente out there.
DelwyN Young, or Garrett Jones would be a much better option at this point in time.
Moss had his chance, and he has certainly dropped the ball with it.
Time to give some of that outfield depth we are compiling a chance to pay some dividends.
I don't like his approach at the plate.
How the hell do you swing at the 1st pitch, after the previous guy just walked on 5 pitches?.
If you are going to hack at pitch 1, you gotta be sure that ball is going to be driven hard somewhere, not a pathetic ground ball, that i have seen Way too much coming off this guy's bat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:14 pm 

Willton wrote:
CNYBucs wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Im sure you are wrong not only would it be a suprising move for Duke or Maholm to be dealt, the return would not be great. The Pirates will likely hold onto them until they get better. It would be a bad move to move them because they are young guys and could be in the future of the organization.