Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 5 rounds 5 pitchers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
round 26 Matthew Dermody LHP 6'5" Norwalk HS

This kid is from Iowa.

6 foot 5 inches...he's taller than most of the trees in Iowa...

Iowa has trees? I thought Iowa was a "Great Plains" state.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm 

Willton wrote:
Iowa has trees? I thought Iowa was a "Great Plains" state.

The state tree is corn...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

This kid is from Iowa.

Not to be confused with Norway, Iowa which was the small Iowa town featured in Final Season. That being written, Norwalk has a pretty rich tradition of strong high school baseball.

And, for those who have not visited The Hawkeye State, it does have trees. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

This kid is from Iowa.

Not to be confused with Norway, Iowa which was the small Iowa town featured in Final Season. That being written, Norwalk has a pretty rich tradition of strong high school baseball.

And, for those who have not visited The Hawkeye State, it does have trees. ;)

I won't go there. I've heard rumors that they have pool tables.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm 

Quick shot from Charlie at Bucs Dugout:
Quote:
I can't find anything interesting about Dodson or Baker, but Baseball America ranks Rosenberg their 41st overall draft prospect, so he could be a Grossman-quality pick in the sixth round. You can watch some video of Rosenberg here. His delivery looks a little violent, but his stuff looks nasty.
PG CrossChecker ranks Stevenson the best high school prospect from Arizona. Baseball America's John Manuel "loves" him, and BA elsewhere writes that Stevenson "has the kind of body scouts dream on."
Cain is a highly-rated two-way player who Baseball America has ranked among the top 100 draft prospects. He's 6'3" and throws a curve, changeup and 90-MPH fastball.

The Pirates were, fortunately, serious about their strategy--they really are going to have to spend some money on some of these guys.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2009/6/10/904 ... pen-thread

Perhaps this was the late-round talent that NH was focusing on. Hard to say how this affects the view of the draft as a whole, given the first four picks of yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:14 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Bucs have selected 5 pitchers through round 8. Round 8 selection, Bill Cain is intriguing. He is one of the guys who is committed to Texas and the Bucs will have to amp up the bonus to sign him. He i s lefty that throws 93-94 and is a two way player.

I'd say that the thinking behind the Sanchez pick should be crystal clear to everyone now. They made a ton of Grossman type picks today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

Willton wrote:
Quick shot from Charlie at Bucs Dugout:
Quote:
I can't find anything interesting about Dodson or Baker, but Baseball America ranks Rosenberg their 41st overall draft prospect, so he could be a Grossman-quality pick in the sixth round. You can watch some video of Rosenberg here. His delivery looks a little violent, but his stuff looks nasty.
PG CrossChecker ranks Stevenson the best high school prospect from Arizona. Baseball America's John Manuel "loves" him, and BA elsewhere writes that Stevenson "has the kind of body scouts dream on."
Cain is a highly-rated two-way player who Baseball America has ranked among the top 100 draft prospects. He's 6'3" and throws a curve, changeup and 90-MPH fastball.

The Pirates were, fortunately, serious about their strategy--they really are going to have to spend some money on some of these guys.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2009/6/10/904 ... pen-thread

Perhaps this was the late-round talent that NH was focusing on. Hard to say how this affects the view of the draft as a whole, given the first four picks of yesterday.

The second day could be very good, IF IF IF they write the checks that it will take to sign some of these guys.

I still do not understand why they had punt the first day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Bucs have selected 5 pitchers through round 8. Round 8 selection, Bill Cain is intriguing. He is one of the guys who is committed to Texas and the Bucs will have to amp up the bonus to sign him. He i s lefty that throws 93-94 and is a two way player.

I'd say that the thinking behind the Sanchez pick should be crystal clear to everyone now. They made a ton of Grossman type picks today.

Who are the Grossman type players? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:35 pm 

Grossman was a guy that they picked later but went above the slot to sign. He is a keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

I think Inman, Van Rosenberg, Cain and Heller are guys they should need to pony up for.

They could be tough, I think VanR and Heller could be the toughest to sign, but as I keep saying, the money should be there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

http://www.bucsdugout.com/

See the post "Day Two Draft Open Thread". It isn't a long one, and there was no good way to quote from it without quoting the whole thing.

http://whygavs.com/

"I really like what Huntington is doing today and it makes his strategy from yesterday a bit clearer. Since the pick of Sanchez, we've taken 13(!) pitchers, including 10 high schoolers (through the 20th round). These guys aren't signed yet, but some of them are pretty highly touted recruits out of high school (von Rosenberg in the sixth and Cain in the eighth are two that immediately jump off the page). Any evaluation of this draft will have to be held until after the signing deadline, but the Pirates clearly thought it was more productive to try and pick up a bunch of high schoolers than one or two high-priced college or high school prospects. With that decision made, I'm guessing they took their favorite position player at #4."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 pm 

When I hear "Inman", all I can think of is the book, Cold Mountain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 pm 

Sisyphus. I don't want to quote your entire post but earlier in this thread I quoted an MLB analyst saying the same thing. I'm not sure I agree with the strategy, but I think they executed on their plan. I still would have preferred a stronger 1st pick and the same strategy even if it means one less arm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
Sisyphus. I don't want to quote your entire post but earlier in this thread I quoted an MLB analyst saying the same thing. I'm not sure I agree with the strategy, but I think they executed on their plan. I still would have preferred a stronger 1st pick and the same strategy even if it means one less arm.

Their stategy is sound, IF they sign these guys...but....

Still no excuse for the first day of the draft, they could have picked higher ceiling guys and still done what they did today. The draft is the least expensive way to aquire talent, and a team like the Pirates need to take FULL advantage of it, not just in the later rounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:00 pm 

CNYBucs wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

Still no excuse for the first day of the draft, they could have picked higher ceiling guys and still done what they did today. The draft is the least expensive way to aquire talent, and a team like the Pirates need to take FULL advantage of it, not just in the later rounds.

Yup. I am just not as totally depressed as I was last night and in this AM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:03 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
CNYBucs wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

Yup. I am just not as totally depressed as I was last night and in this AM.

I am not either, but until the guys I mentioned earlier are signed it is tough for me to get to "undpressed".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 am 

CNYBucs wrote:
I am not either, but until the guys I mentioned earlier are signed it is tough for me to get to "undpressed".

I imagine one could feel the same way if we had picked a hard-to-sign guy like Matzek, Purke, Miller or Turner. Not being able to sign such a talent would really mitigate the joy one would feel after drafting such a player with the 4th pick. I'm not saying that Sanchez was the right pick for the Pirates, but it would be really unfortunate if we picked a high-upside guy and ended up not signing him because he's asking for Rick Porcello money (which is apparently the story with Matzek).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 am 

Quote:
I imagine one could feel the same way if we had picked a hard-to-sign guy like Matzek, Purke, Miller or Turner. Not being able to sign such a talent would really mitigate the joy one would feel after drafting such a player with the 4th pick. I\\\\\\\'m not saying that Sanchez was the right pick for the Pirates, but it would be really unfortunate if we picked a high-upside guy and ended up not signing him because he\\\\\\\'s asking for Rick Porcello money (which is apparently the story with Matzek).

Yeah, having the opportunity to sign someone like Matzke, Purke, Miller, or Tuner would suck. Especially at the expense of the Nutting\'s money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:46 am 

Alexandria Dukes wrote:
Quote:
I imagine one could feel the same way if we had picked a hard-to-sign guy like Matzek, Purke, Miller or Turner. Not being able to sign such a talent would really mitigate the joy one would feel after drafting such a player with the 4th pick. I\\\\\\\'m not saying that Sanchez was the right pick for the Pirates, but it would be really unfortunate if we picked a high-upside guy and ended up not signing him because he\\\\\\\'s asking for Rick Porcello money (which is apparently the story with Matzek).

Yeah, having the opportunity to sign someone like Matzke, Purke, Miller, or Tuner would suck. Especially at the expense of the Nutting\'s money.

You're not getting it. Sure, the opportunity would be great, but that uneasy feeling that CNY has regarding the signing of our later picks would likely be compounded by the uncertainty of signing a guy like Matzek, Purke, Miller or Turner. Those players are reportedly asking for a lot of money, and they have a lot of leverage in that they likely can go to college if they don't like whatever signing bonuses their teams offer. Signability has some merit: a draft pick is not of much use if you can't sign the player. See Tanner Scheppers and Aaron Crow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:09 am 

Willton wrote:
CNYBucs wrote:

I imagine one could feel the same way if we had picked a hard-to-sign guy like Matzek, Purke, Miller or Turner. Not being able to sign such a talent would really mitigate the joy one would feel after drafting such a player with the 4th pick. I'm not saying that Sanchez was the right pick for the Pirates, but it would be really unfortunate if we picked a high-upside guy and ended up not signing him because he's asking for Rick Porcello money (which is apparently the story with Matzek).

Yeah, they could, i suppose but if they could sign them the upside would be much higher. I can get why they did it, so the casual fans will see that signed their first pick quickly. But, by all accounts next years draft is much stronger, and I would have actually been fine if they went to Matzek and did not sign him if he was being outrageous. That way, 2 top ten picks next year in a supposedly much deeper talent pool.

Also, you say it would be unfortunate if they did not sign a high-side guy. I think the risk of taking/signing that type of player has a better chance of being an impact player than sanchez ever will. So i would would be willing to take that risk, and if doesn't sign you get an extra pick next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next