Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the surface
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:46 am 

Knowing little about the draft or those available, it looks like a disappointing year. It looks like they were simply saving money. I have never been one of those who demanded excessive expeditures for players, but it appears that they drafted so that they didn't have to spend as oppossed to taking the best player.

I'll wait to see but initially, I am very disappointed.

Post subject: Re: On the surface
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They know way more than any of us do. There will be 7th and 13th round picks that will be all-stars. It is such an inexact science, nobody knows how good any of these players will be in five years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:01 am 

I am very disappointed as well and need to find a way to get back to work.

Here is a link to Law's 1st round summary. He likes the Pounders pick but he says the Sanchez pick is questionable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft200 ... %3d4247203

Last edited by BostonBuc on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 am 

Nobody knows for sure how this draft is going to work out for about 2-3 years. The Pirates wanted a gold glove caliber catcher and feel that they got it in Sanchez.

As far as the money goes, these guys are about to sign the best player in the Dominican..it's not like NH and the boys aren't spending money. Perhaps thats one of the reasons why they wanted to get a quality catcher without spending a bucket load of extra money.

Just a thought...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Knowing little about the draft or those available, it looks like a disappointing year. It looks like they were simply saving money. I have never been one of those who demanded excessive expeditures for players, but it appears that they drafted so that they didn't have to spend as oppossed to taking the best player.

I'll wait to see but initially, I am very disappointed.

It could have been worse!

It HAS been worse....Moskos, Bullington....etc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 am 

curveradio wrote:
Nobody knows for sure how this draft is going to work out for about 2-3 years. The Pirates wanted a gold glove caliber catcher and feel that they got it in Sanchez.

As far as the money goes, these guys are about to sign the best player in the Dominican..it's not like NH and the boys aren't spending money. Perhaps thats one of the reasons why they wanted to get a quality catcher without spending a bucket load of extra money.

Just a thought...

I hope you're right Curve but I hear that the Orioles are interested in Sano as well and frankly I have zero confidence in the Pirates to win a bidding war w/ anyone. I want to be wrong on that.

The other thing that I find frustrating is that we hear that the DR draft is separate per mgmt, if that's the case then we should not say our draft US draft wasn't good but our international draft was great.

A top prospect at #4 and Sano would have sent a positive charge through this org and the fan base unlike anything in years and we missed that opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:57 pm 

I think the Pirates got their man...this guy brings solid defense to the table in a position that screams solid defense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I can't get too excited, nor too bummed about the draft. It's pretty much a game of chance.

Plus, I'm remembering my trading card days of the early 90's, when I had a buncha' Todd Van Poppel, Brien Taylor and Paul Coleman cards that never panned out for me. Well...actually, I think I traded a few Van Poppels for some old 70's Willie Stargell cards (the Van Poppels were going for 2-4 bucks a pop at one point).