Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Pirate Trivia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am 

Dating back to 1970, the Pirates had two All Star Selections who made the All Star team in their only year with the Bucs.

Name them!

Post subject: Re: More Pirate Trivia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 am 

Nobody taking a guess?

Nobody care???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 am 

I had to look it up! :oops: :D
Interesting since I would have never guessed the answer. Well, maybe I might have figured out one of the players if I really had given it lots of thought! :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:06 pm 

My guesses (without looking it up):

1. Rich "Goose" Gossage in 1978. Simply dominant that year, became a free agent the next.

2. Ken Brett in 1973. Won the AS game. Not sure about this one, as I thought he returned to the Buccos the next season, but I cannot think of another AS representative who was a short-timer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 pm 

Gossage would be one of my guesses.

Post subject: YES AND NO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
My guesses (without looking it up):

1. Rich "Goose" Gossage in 1978. Simply dominant that year, became a free agent the next.

2. Ken Brett in 1973. Won the AS game. Not sure about this one, as I thought he returned to the Buccos the next season, but I cannot think of another AS representative who was a short-timer.

Gossage is indeed one of the answers. But it was 1977, not 1978. For those of you not old enough to remember, he had a monster year with the Bucs that year. They acquired him before the season (Chuck Tanner really wanted him), along with Terry Forster, for Richie Zisk. That year he went 11-9, with a 1.62 ERA, and 26 saves. He had 151 strikeouts in the BULLPEN! WOW! He left as a Free Agent and signed with the Yanks.

Losing Gossage was SO hard....

Ken Brett WAS a pirate All Star in 1974, not '73. (The game was at TRS). There was a lot of controversy that year, because many felt that Brett should have started the game, esecially with it being at TRS. He pitched teh 4th and 5th innings and did indeed get the win. Brett, however is not the answer, because he also played for Bucs in '75.

A hint...the other player who did this was more recent, during the days of futility, and only made the team because the Bucs had to have a representative.

Happy Guesing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 pm 

Ed Sprague?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:54 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Interesting since I would have never guessed the answer. Well, maybe I might have figured out one of the players if I really had given it lots of thought! :?

I think Bassoon is hinting w/ Lots so I am going to say Ed Ott. But that is probably wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:06 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I think Bassoon is hinting w/ Lots so I am going to say Ed Ott. But that is probably wrong.

Upon reading again I realize this answer makes no sense since Ed Ott was w/ the Bucks for more than one year. I tried to outsmart myself :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:18 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:

Ed was with the team for several seasons, but never made the AS team. He was going up against some pretty good catchers in his time (Bench, Sizemore, etc.)

Back to guessing ... maybe John Tudor, a pretty decent lefty pitcher? He was obtained from Boston for Mike Easler, if memory serves, had a pretty good year and then was dealt the following offseason, I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:38 pm 

John Tudor is an excellent guess...a one year Pirate, very good, but surprisingly, he never made the all star team, as a Buc or otherwise. Talk about bad trades...Tudor went on to a 21-8 record with an ERA of 1.93 for the Cards in 1985, the year after the trade, and I don't think I need to remind ANYBODY what George Hendrick did for us. Additionally, Tudor went on to win 76 games, losing just 35, with ERAs of 1.93. 2.92, 3.84. 2.32, 2.29. 2.41, 3.14, and 2.40 after going away from the Bucs. Jogging George Hendrick just went away (Thankfully).

By the way, this shows what a joke the All Star game can be. Tudor had career record of 117-72, with ERA of 3.12, and NEVER made the All Star Team.

As someone else mentioned, it could not be Ed Ott since he played many years with Bucs...(and never made AS game anyway).

Congrats to Chris Anderson, who is correct that the answer is Ed Sprague, who made the All Star team as Bucs' only representative in 1999, his only year with the Bucs!

Do you guys like these trivia questions? Want more?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm 

Yes. I like these questions. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:18 pm 

I love these trivia questions! It's about the only thing you can post an answer to and not start a 7-page string of expletives. Just make sure there are no questions like "What year did the Pirates begin losing for 16 straight seasons because of ownership?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:34 pm 

OK...I will keep them coming...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:48 pm 

I enjoy them. One requirement - we must all answer based on our actual knowledge of the Buccos, without "googling" the answer.

I thought about Sprague, but did not think he made the AS team ... didn't the Pirates have other guy(s) who were a lot better, such as Giles, on that team?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:02 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I enjoy them. One requirement - we must all answer based on our actual knowledge of the Buccos, without "googling" the answer.

I thought about Sprague, but did not think he made the AS team ... didn't the Pirates have other guy(s) who were a lot better, such as Giles, on that team?

He was on the team the year the Giles trade was made...Kendall probably would have been on the team except for his ankle injury (.332 avg, .428 on base %, .511 Slug %, 8 HR's and 22 stolen bases), and at the break, Giles had 18 HR's and was batting .318, slugging over .500 and was getting on base around .400
Sprague was hitting .300 avg, .402 on base %, .545 slug %, and 16 HR's at the All Star Break

Sprague, Al Martin, Kevin Young, and Giles all hit 20 HR's or more...

Of course that was also the year Kendall hurt his ankle, they traded Jose Guillen, Brant Brown was in the OF, and had a Mike Benjamin as SS...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:09 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I agree! It's easy to google or look up an answer. Try to get it without looking it up!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I had totally forgotten that Sprague was even a Pirate let alone that he was an all star. Great question, Animal!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:22 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

I had totally forgotten that Sprague was even a Pirate let alone that he was an all star. Great question, Animal!

Well, that was a very forgettable season!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

Animal wrote:
Dating back to 1970, the Pirates had two All Star Selections who made the All Star team in their only year with the Bucs.

Name them!

Brett and Gossage.