Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Central NY
BostonBuc wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Quote:
I actually see what you are saying with gorzo it would be nice for him to get more innings.

Moss has had close to 3 months to show what he has. And he has shown no power and really hasn't hit good at all. Management will leave him in there killing the team because they traded fan favorite all star jason bay for him so they need to make it look like Moss is helping the team. I think Monroe should get more starts or try Delwyn Young in right he has shown something.


I am not sure he is killing the team. The team is not what the kids would call "good". Though you make a good point with D Young.

The best way I can explain the Moss vs Monroe playing time is as such: Monroe will never be a part of this team succeeding, Moss has a slight chance to be. Moss is younger and is under the teams control (i think lol) for another couple years.

Might as well see what he can do for the year, its not like they are making the playoffs anyway.

Just my thoughts.


...not what the kids would call good LOL :):):)
Welcome aboard. I think you are exactly right all the way around.



Thank you for the welcome.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Central NY
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Just don't play Young at 2B till he learns to cover 1st on a bunt.


I do not think he is gonna be gold glover there, but (as sad as this is) i think he is our best option when/if Freddy is traded.

I think they kid has potential and could be a stop gap for a couple years. They are not going to be close to competing for the next couple of years so let him give it a shot. I think he has the bat to be a plus at 2nd.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5078
Location: Pittsburgh
Animal wrote:
Karstens I would imagine.

His work last night was no more than what he would have thrown between starts anyway.

I read in the game story that Karstens had already done his throwing for the day before he pitched. That's probably why we'll be seeing Morton for a start.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5078
Location: Pittsburgh
Ryann wrote:
Why would gorzo who has played well, being sent down to the minors?
Management has shown me something. No matter how bad you play, if you were acquired in a major deal you will still start even if you do terrible. That is the story of moss and karstens.

So he can get back to starting instead of wasting away in the bullpen. Gorzo must start. I think they've kept him up too long already.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 am
Posts: 105
I'm very excited to see Morton pitch! A power arm is quite welcome.

Re Gorzo, I liked what I saw of him in the pen. I'd keep him there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Central NY
Zane41 wrote:
I'm very excited to see Morton pitch! A power arm is quite welcome.

Re Gorzo, I liked what I saw of him in the pen. I'd keep him there.


Zane,
I agree he did well in the Pen, but IF he could return to be a 3-4 starter, that is much more valuable. As long as the Pirates control him I think its worth another shot as a starter.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10563
CNYBucs wrote:
Zane, I agree he did well in the Pen, but IF he could return to be a 3-4 starter, that is much more valuable. As long as the Pirates control him I think its worth another shot as a starter.

CNY - the Pirates agree with you and Zane, since they have said several times that Gorzo is going back to the minors to continue as a starting pitcher. At this point, he would need maybe 3 starts to get his arm strength back to where it was before he was called up. It would not take long.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
I'm glad to see Morton get the call, but i also don't like him against Atlanta. He came from there and i think they will know him too well. I think that was why Nate was nailing Duke so much the other night. I'm afraid something like that might happen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:41 pm
Posts: 50
Ryann:

Quote:
PIT OF 49 161 24 41 10 2 1 14 58 9 29 0 0 .298 .360 .255
That is his batting line. .255 average, 298 obp, 1 homerun. What a joke of a starting right fielder
..

I'm not saying these two guys were comparable, but we once had a guy who had these stats his first year.

PIT OF 124 474 48 121 23 11 5 47 181 18 60 2 5 .284 .382 .255

And, when I saw the .255 BA for Moss I remembered him. We stuck with him and he developed. Moss is no Clemente, but those numbers are for Clemente's first year.

Let's give Moss some more time. He may not ever be Clemente, but he could develop into a good right fielder and I'd give him the time before I play Hinske or Craig Monroe out there. Sometimes you have to "make an investment" to get a good return.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
Ryann wrote:
Moss has had close to 3 months to show what he has. And he has shown no power and really hasn't hit good at all. Management will leave him in there killing the team because they traded fan favorite all star jason bay for him so they need to make it look like Moss is helping the team. I think Monroe should get more starts or try Delwyn Young in right he has shown something.

Young and Monroe are both pretty bad defensively whereas Moss has proven to be pretty good. I give Moss more time to find himself.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:44 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
StanRojek wrote:
Ryann:

Quote:
PIT OF 49 161 24 41 10 2 1 14 58 9 29 0 0 .298 .360 .255
That is his batting line. .255 average, 298 obp, 1 homerun. What a joke of a starting right fielder
..

I'm not saying these two guys were comparable, but we once had a guy who had these stats his first year.

PIT OF 124 474 48 121 23 11 5 47 181 18 60 2 5 .284 .382 .255

And, when I saw the .255 BA for Moss I remembered him. We stuck with him and he developed. Moss is no Clemente, but those numbers are for Clemente's first year.

Let's give Moss some more time. He may not ever be Clemente, but he could develop into a good right fielder and I'd give him the time before I play Hinske or Craig Monroe out there. Sometimes you have to "make an investment" to get a good return.



You can't keep throwing a guy like Moss out there when he hasn't performed at all.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Ryann wrote:
StanRojek wrote:
Ryann:

Quote:
PIT OF 49 161 24 41 10 2 1 14 58 9 29 0 0 .298 .360 .255
That is his batting line. .255 average, 298 obp, 1 homerun. What a joke of a starting right fielder
..

I'm not saying these two guys were comparable, but we once had a guy who had these stats his first year.

PIT OF 124 474 48 121 23 11 5 47 181 18 60 2 5 .284 .382 .255

And, when I saw the .255 BA for Moss I remembered him. We stuck with him and he developed. Moss is no Clemente, but those numbers are for Clemente's first year.

Let's give Moss some more time. He may not ever be Clemente, but he could develop into a good right fielder and I'd give him the time before I play Hinske or Craig Monroe out there. Sometimes you have to "make an investment" to get a good return.



You can't keep throwing a guy like Moss out there when he hasn't performed at all.

Yes you can. The team is going nowhere this season. That being the case, they have a duty to give each player that they deem to be a possibly helpful player in the future a fair shake at proving such. Moss is not blocking anyone, so they might as well continue to play him to see how useful he can be in the future.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Wilton you are a joke! Your not a Pirate fan at all because you dont care about the success of the team.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:30 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Ryan relax. Wilton might lack some people skills, but he has shown himself to be a strong Pirate fan. He simply has bought into the idea that we need to give up on this season and next to get ready for 2011.

Don't want to speak for him but think he's coming from a different place then you.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10563
Ryann wrote:
Wilton you are a joke! Your not a Pirate fan at all because you dont care about the success of the team.

He cares more about the Pirates hoisting the trophy than winning 83 games and feeling good since the team is no longer a "loser."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6202
I am looking forward to seeing Morton tonight. Hope springs eternal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10563
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Hope springs eternal.

Pirates had an eminently mediocre pitcher in the late 1980's named "John Hope." That was one time when I wished that the Pirates had no Hope.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing Morton tonight. Hope springs eternal.

I am as well. I've got a good feeling about him.

BTW, have you seen pictures of this kid? If he sticks around, I predict an upswing in teenage girl attendance at the games.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7238
burghermeister wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing Morton tonight. Hope springs eternal.

I am as well. I've got a good feeling about him.

BTW, have you seen pictures of this kid? If he sticks around, I predict an upswing in teenage girl attendance at the games.

Image


He needs to change his last name to Jonas

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
Ryann wrote:
Wilton you are a joke! Your not a Pirate fan at all because you dont care about the success of the team.

Sigh. This is just sad. There's a lot that you can say that I disagree with and I'll still defend your right to say it. But questioning a fellow board member's fanhood? IMHO, that really is beyond the pale.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits