Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:41 pm 

Any info? Does Karstens go or do they use his appearance last night as an excuse to give Morton a shot against his old team?

Post subject: Re: Who pitches tomorrow?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:51 pm 

Karstens I would imagine.

His work last night was no more than what he would have thrown between starts anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:06 pm 

Animal wrote:
His work last night was no more than what he would have thrown between starts anyway.

Agreed. Except that pitching in a do-or-die situation in a game like that is arguably not really the same as a bullpen session. I was just wondering if they would use this as an excuse to move Morton in, for one start at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:14 pm 

Now there's an idea who's time has come.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:22 pm 

Yeah i think it was Bucfan who explained it. Karstens will still start. Pitchers pitch an inning of practice a day to stay loose, and he just wont pitch that inning of practice today because he had to pitch/lose the game last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Yeah i think it was Bucfan who explained it. Karstens will still start. Pitchers pitch an inning of practice a day to stay loose, and he just wont pitch that inning of practice today because he had to pitch/lose the game last night.

That is what could happen but has anyone heard from an actual source on the Pirates that that is what will happen?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm 

Bucfan's son is rested and ready to go.

Post subject: Braves Think It's Gonna Be Morton...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:37 pm 

They just said during the telecast that the Braves are speculating that Morton will be called up to start tomorrow, and Karstens was in the bullpen tonight, not on the bench as he normally would be if he were starting tomorrow.

Gonna be interesting to see,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 pm 

Give Morton a shot. Lets see what the kid can do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:41 pm 

The cynic in me thinks that Morton will start to take some of the heat off the reach on the draft pick and the McLouth trade. If you can't write the headlines to your satisfaction, steal them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm pretty sure they said it's likely Morton will be pitching tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 pm 

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx

Morton is up.. GORZO down

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 pm 

Why would gorzo who has played well, being sent down to the minors?
Management has shown me something. No matter how bad you play, if you were acquired in a major deal you will still start even if you do terrible. That is the story of moss and karstens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:00 am 

Ryann wrote:
Why would gorzo who has played well, being sent down to the minors?
Management has shown me something. No matter how bad you play, if you were acquired in a major deal you will still start even if you do terrible. That is the story of moss and karstens.

Ryann, Gorzo needs to be down there to get innings in. I think (hope) the Bucs see him as a starter. With Morton coming up they can stretch him out and get him back as a starter. I do not know if this is the thinking, just what I hope.

As far as Moss and Karstans go, I think you have to see what you have with both of them. Moss should start until there is a better option. He may very well end up as a platoon player but why not just run him out there? Is he holding anyone of significance back?

I think Karstonas will stay in the bullpen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 am 

You nailed it CNY. Gorzo needs to be starting. He has looked pretty good since he has been up. Let's hope he can carry it over when he gets back to starting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 am 

I actually see what you are saying with gorzo it would be nice for him to get more innings.

Moss has had close to 3 months to show what he has. And he has shown no power and really hasn't hit good at all. Management will leave him in there killing the team because they traded fan favorite all star jason bay for him so they need to make it look like Moss is helping the team. I think Monroe should get more starts or try Delwyn Young in right he has shown something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 am 

Ryann wrote:
I actually see what you are saying with gorzo it would be nice for him to get more innings.

Moss has had close to 3 months to show what he has. And he has shown no power and really hasn't hit good at all. Management will leave him in there killing the team because they traded fan favorite all star jason bay for him so they need to make it look like Moss is helping the team. I think Monroe should get more starts or try Delwyn Young in right he has shown something.

I am not sure he is killing the team. The team is not what the kids would call "good". Though you make a good point with D Young. I think he should be playing much more. I think they might be working with him as a replacement with Freddy is traded or just released at the end of this season. I personally think Monroe should never do anything more than PH for the Bucs.

The best way I can explain the Moss vs Monroe playing time is as such: Monroe will never be a part of this team succeeding, Moss has a slight chance to be. Moss is younger and is under the teams control (i think lol) for another couple years.

Might as well see what he can do for the year, its not like they are making the playoffs anyway.

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:16 am 

PIT OF 49 161 24 41 10 2 1 14 58 9 29 0 0 .298 .360 .255
That is his batting line. .255 average, 298 obp, 1 homerun. What a joke of a starting right fielder.
Oh just think Jason Bay could be there but no we got a mediocre platoon player mediocre starting 3rd basemen, a terrible reliver, and an injured pitching prospect...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LETS GO BUCS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:29 am 

Ryann wrote:
Quote:

I am not sure he is killing the team. The team is not what the kids would call "good". Though you make a good point with D Young.

The best way I can explain the Moss vs Monroe playing time is as such: Monroe will never be a part of this team succeeding, Moss has a slight chance to be. Moss is younger and is under the teams control (i think lol) for another couple years.

Might as well see what he can do for the year, its not like they are making the playoffs anyway.

Just my thoughts.

...not what the kids would call good LOL :):):)
Welcome aboard. I think you are exactly right all the way around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 am 

Just don't play Young at 2B till he learns to cover 1st on a bunt.