Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Draft Day:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 am 

[quote=\\\"Az Bucco fan\\\"]There was 1 potential impact player in the draft, Strasburg. That\\\'s it and heck he could blow out his elbow tomorrow in a bullpen session. The rest are all filler. Every draft expert said this was a weak draft, especially position players.[/quote]

I guess I should not be surprised by the lengths some people will go to in order to blindly defend this team, but I am. Today\\\'s draft was an embarrasment. And anyone with an ounce of common sense could see that. This will be my last post to you because you obviously are incapable of even showing a hint of objectivity or being unbiased.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:33 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Educated guess sounds like oxymoron to me.

Nice ... very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:47 am 

You just don't get what I am saying Alexandria. We have a new management team and I am in a wait and see mode. Pissing and moaning is just not my style. It is counter- productive. If in 2-3 years these guys don't pan out then I will say it was a shitty draft. Until then.........................................

For example, I was as baffled by the trade of McLouth initially, but when I see that it opens up a spot for Cutch and see how he is doing, I don't have as many qualms. At first I thought that they should have kept Nate and moved Morgan or someone else but they return would not have been near what they got for Nate.

Baseball is unique in sports in it's inexactness and unpredictablility. There is no other like it as evidenced by the action on the board today. You would not have this type of discussion when talking about the NFL or NHL or NBA.

God bless baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 am 

Just read that Opie (I will not call him by his real name again, because he deserves no respect) had Tony "Paulino" Sanchez rated as the 3rd best prospect in the draft, meaning that even if the Pirates drafted 3rd, we'd have drafted Sanchez. Over Donovan Tate.

The silver lining in this horrible day for your Pittsburgh Pirates is that maybe it's exposed the new regime to be the same as the old regime.

All is pretty quiet on the pro Huntington camp front here. I keep waiting for some of you to defend this draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 am 

omgardd wrote:
Just read that Opie (I will not call him by his real name again, because he deserves no respect) had Tony "Paulino" Sanchez rated as the 3rd best prospect in the draft, meaning that even if the Pirates drafted 3rd, we'd have drafted Sanchez. Over Donovan Tate.

The silver lining in this horrible day for your Pittsburgh Pirates is that maybe it's exposed the new regime to be the same as the old regime.

All is pretty quiet on the pro Huntington camp front here. I keep waiting for some of you to defend this draft.

You'll be waiting for a long time. It was a bad draft so far. The later round picks were decent, but they don't make up for the Sanchez pick.

By the way, you just called him "Huntington." I thought you weren't going to call him that anymore? Liar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 am 

Willton wrote:

By the way, you just called him "Huntington." I thought you weren't going to call him that anymore? Liar.

I was referring to your camp. Pro Huntington-Where Opie can do no wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:29 am 

I can't believe we passed on Aaron Crow. I am starting to believe that Huntington drafted great last year so they could keep up on this draft. Shame on you Opie. I'm starting to lose faith in him. I just don't get it. This is like waking up on Christmas morning and there not being anything under the tree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I can't believe we passed on Aaron Crow. I am starting to believe that Huntington drafted great last year so they could keep up on this draft. Shame on you Opie. I'm starting to lose faith in him. I just don't get it. This is like waking up on Christmas morning and there not being anything under the tree.

FWIW, seven other teams passed on Crow after us as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 pm 

This organization is a total joke doing anything to save a buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
You just don't get what I am saying Alexandria. We have a new management team and I am in a wait and see mode. Pissing and moaning is just not my style. It is counter- productive. If in 2-3 years these guys don't pan out then I will say it was a shitty draft. Until then.........................................

I wasn't on the board this time last year but based on that comment, I assume you DID NOT applaud the Pirates after last year's draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 pm 

Any draft is a wait-see proposition. Last year's included. There were question marks even regarding Pedro Alvarez. Weight issues, agent choice etc. Hype will get you nowhere. Success will.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 pm 

Alexandria Dukes wrote:
I wasn't on the board this time last year but based on that comment, I assume you DID NOT applaud the Pirates after last year's draft.

It seems to me that last year it was obvious what the Pirates should do (as it was the year before when they didn't do it). There was one player who was clearly more talented than everyone else on the board. This year, I think reasonable people can disagree on what the right approach is. Time will tell...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Any draft is a wait-see proposition. Last year's included. There were question marks even regarding Pedro Alvarez. Weight issues, agent choice etc. Hype will get you nowhere. Success will.

Of course all drafts are wait and see, but that doesn't mean you can't evaluate it immediately afterwards. And as I recall, most people stood up and cheered Neal Huntington after last year's draft. Not just because of Alvarez, but because of Scheppers, Grossman, and Miller.

So I ask you, were you one of those cheering last year's draft?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:39 pm 

No, I didn't like the oufits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10