Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Draft Day:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:52 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don't know. Check back in 3 years to see how the draft works out. It is such a crap shoot.

I understand that, but every pick has been an overdraft by every source. Some claim they went check with Sanchez first so they could go over slot on latter picks. There is not one player yet that is a "slip" pick that is worth over slot money.

Like I said earlier, Sanchez may make it, but he most likely will not be an impact player, he does not project as such.

I just wish the pirates would get guys with significant upside, not safe (signable) players.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don't know. Check back in 3 years to see how the draft works out. It is such a crap shoot.

Also, do you think this has been a good first day? I do not tend to know as much as BA and BP and others, so I go by what they say. I havent seen these kids play, by all accounts the pirates have REACHED on every pick.

If you feel as though they have done well, I would love to know why. I just can not see it based on what I have read.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 pm 

Pirates are known as the biggest joke of profesional sports what do you expect? Drafting safe cheap players is what they are known to do in drafts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:02 am 

The guys commentating on MLB thought Pounders was a real good pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The guys commentating on MLB thought Pounders was a real good pick.

Not to pick on you, but did they question any pick negatively? There were some crazy reaches (not just the pirates) in the first round.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 am 

No. 9 wrote:
From today's PPG in DK's Notebook section:

About the draft
General manager Neal Huntington sent to season-ticket holders a letter regarding the three-day draft and in it may have tipped the club's hand about selectivity and breadth:

"It does not seem likely there will be a Pedro Alvarez-type talent available to us when we select fourth. ... but the 2009 draft class is deeper than the 2008 class, and is especially deep in pitching talent. ... It is important that our draft be reviewed based on the total resources allocated by the August 15 deadline and not only the first few round selections on June 9. Our selections may or may not match-up with the rankings compiled by various publications, but in every case we will select the player who we feel will have the greatest impact on the Pirates' organization."

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09160/976052-63.stm#ixzz0HwaFrtT1&D

At risk of reading too much into this, I would harbor a guess that this signals that Aaron Crow will not be selected even if available. Is the August 15 "deadline" a reference to when drafted players must be signed?

He was saying that you're going to see that they've spent their whole draft budget once all the signings are done, even though they won't be handing out a huge bonus for the first round pick. Sounds to me like they're planning on making a lot of Grossman type picks, guys who fall below their actual talent levels because of college commitments.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 am 

[quote=\\\"Az Bucco fan\\\"]I don\\\'t know. Check back in 3 years to see how the draft works out. It is such a crap shoot.[/quote]
Yes, to a degree it is a crap shoot. But you need to take educated guesses. So what does it say about the Pirates when each of their first 5 picks are blatant overdrafts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:11 am 

Argh matey we did save money. Hmmm is that money not spent going to the payroll next year, dominican, or....Nutting's pocket?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:12 am 

They didn't seem to think there was much of a difference after Strasburg. They also mentioned flaws in just about everyone after him. ONe example was the guy from UNC who they thought would be a good hitter but without much of any power. They also questioned the way the college pitchers were handled when describing how Tony Gwynn had correctly handled the work load at San Diego State. Tony even said that Strasburg needed some work before he would be ready for the show. Any 18-21 year old ballpayer has weaknesses and areas of more work. And there will always be guys that make it against all odds after being drafted in the late rounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 am 

Educated guess sounds like oxymoron to me. Of course I am not too smart and biased to boot. LOL

Rod Serling wrote:

No. Not Okay.

Not for a franchise that routinely takes 20th ranked players in the fourth position of the draft.

Not for a franchise that sets an all time record in American Sports for losing.

Not for a franchise that took Moskos over Weiters.

Not for a franchise that took Van Benschoten.

Not for a franchise that took Brian Bullington.

Not for a franchise that's owner trades away its best players for minor league talent.

No,

Not "okay".

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah! Blah blah Nutting blah blah blah. Blah! Blah blah blah! Blah blah blah enablers blah blah.

[quote=\"Az Bucco fan\"]Educated guess sounds like oxymoron to me. Of course I am not too smart and biased to boot. LOL[/quote]
You said it, not me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:16 am 

sisyphus wrote:
He was saying that you're going to see that they've spent their whole draft budget once all the signings are done, even though they won't be handing out a huge bonus for the first round pick. Sounds to me like they're planning on making a lot of Grossman type picks, guys who fall below their actual talent levels because of college commitments.

I understand this, but why can you not do both? Why can not take the best player at every pick? Its not like the MLB budget is breaking the bank.

I do like the idea of taking guys with strong college commitments later in the draft, but why can't they pick the best player at every round and do this? I have not seen an answer for this from any of the people defending the draft up to this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Given what I've read, and I'm not a draftnik, this draft is the Cal kid, maybe the NC kid, maybe Crow from last year.... and a cast of thousands. Not much differance between a kid in No. 4 slot and No. 40 slot from what I read.

ZM

That's pretty much what I've been reading for months now. That there were only two or three guys who were worthy of top 10 money, and they were already gone when the fourth pick came along.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 am 

And to what do you attribute your superior intelligence and objectivity to Alexandria? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 am 

Rod Serling wrote:
Willton wrote:
Padres take Tate. Looks like Sanchez will be a Pirate.

The 20th ranked overall player,

taken 4th overall by Bob Nutting.

Another fleecing of the fans. :lol:

Shit, Serling, just about every post you've written proves that you can't evaluate talent at the major or minor league level, but now we're supposed to accept your evaluation of college kids? ROFLMAO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Check back in 3 years to see how the draft works out. It is such a crap shoot.

Yes, to a degree it is a crap shoot. But you need to take educated guesses. So what does it say about the Pirates when each of their first 5 picks are blatant overdrafts?

It is a crap shoot but you don't go the Craps table in Vegas and bet for snake eyes you bet for 7's. What I mean for the those not familiar is that you have to play the odds. Crow and some other pitchers have relatively low risk. All of these people are high risk and unlike Craps the reward (payout) is not pre-deteremined so you might win but 'winning' might only payout as a middle reliever.

I have been (and still want to give the benefit of the doubt to the FO) but I am struggling w/ this. Had they signed Crow and Sano I think it would have been almost impossible to argue that this was 'the same old Pittsburgh'.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 am 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:
omgardd wrote:
And management fails in the draft yet again.

Sanchez over Crow/Matzek/Green= Moskos over Weiters.

Hardly. There wasn't one player on the board that was anywhere close to being as talented as Weiters. Sanchez is a clear overdraft, but the alternatives are not nearly as good as Weiters. You're blowing it way out of proportion.

So the pirates draft less talented players early because they are cheaper. This is somewhat dissapointing and pathetic. Matzsek and Crow would have been better picks!

This from the guy who told us that Nyjer was better than McLouth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:27 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
I have been (and still want to give the benefit of the doubt to the FO) but I am struggling w/ this. Had they signed Crow and Sano I think it would have been almost impossible to argue that this was 'the same old Pittsburgh'.

Exactly how I feel. Everything I have read says the Pirates have reached. Though Crow was not who I would have picked, he would have been sensible.

I have not read anything about Sanchez (other than from his coach and pr from the pirates) that merits a 1.4 pick.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:28 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
omgardd wrote:
So when our system is in as bad of shape as it clearly is, how do you justify overdrafting at all with the 4th pick? When you have the lack of depth in our system that we do, and the clear need to build up our system you have to draft the 4th best prospect in the draft at 4, you don't draft a easily signable backup catcher for 2010 or 11. No excuse. NH and FC whiffed on this one.

I agree. When I heard the talk yesterday about this guy I was hoping they didn't draft him. Sounds like, even by his coach's admission, that he is going to need tons of work on his hitting. And we have 3 young, very competent catchers with Lerud at AA. With our need for pitching I don't know how they couldn't take a run at Crow....

Lerud cannot hit. His ceiling is backup catcher who starts 20-30 games per year, hits .210, but has a few homers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next