Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Draft Day:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:37 am 

I figured this subject could use its own thread.

Here is 'yet another' mock draft from Yahoo where we pick LHP Mike Minor.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Draft Day:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 am 

Quote:
Pittsburgh Pirates: Mike Minor, LHP, Vanderbilt
California prep left-hander Tyler Matzek has more upside, but indications are that the Pirates want a starter with a quicker path to the big leagues. They probably would take Crow ahead of Minor, and have also scouted college power arms Kyle Gibson and Alex White. Gibson, however, has a stress fracture in his arm and is no longer being considered.

I really hope this guy is making up the part about passing on "higher upside" for "a quicker path" to the bigs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 am 

And I'm still crossing my fingers and toes................

Peter Gammons wrote:
And while some wonder if the Mariners' ownership will give Jack Zduriencik the freedom to give Ackley -- and Boras -- more than $6 million, it likely will get done.

Boras has the hammer. He has the best pitcher and the best player in the draft. He has the Nationals and Mariners in serious PR spin modes, and if Howard Lincoln decides the Mariners don't need to spend $6 million-plus on a position player, Ackley will fall to the Pirates, who are expected to draft him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4237422&name=gammons_peter

Last edited by Argentum on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 am 

Argentum wrote:
Quote:
Pittsburgh Pirates: Mike Minor, LHP, Vanderbilt
California prep left-hander Tyler Matzek has more upside, but indications are that the Pirates want a starter with a quicker path to the big leagues. They probably would take Crow ahead of Minor, and have also scouted college power arms Kyle Gibson and Alex White. Gibson, however, has a stress fracture in his arm and is no longer being considered.

I really hope this guy is making up the part about passing on "higher upside" for "a quicker path" to the bigs.

That bothers me too and I don't think he is. His draft also assumes that Tate is available. I think they should consider taking him if he is available. The issue with that is signability.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 am 

Argentum wrote:
And I'm still crossing my fingers and toes................

Petter Gammons wrote:
And while some wonder if the Mariners' ownership will give Jack Zduriencik the freedom to give Ackley -- and Boras -- more than $6 million, it likely will get done.

Boras has the hammer. He has the best pitcher and the best player in the draft. He has the Nationals and Mariners in serious PR spin modes, and if Howard Lincoln decides the Mariners don't need to spend $6 million-plus on a position player, Ackley will fall to the Pirates, who are expected to draft him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4237422&name=gammons_peter

I will cross mine too! I think that would be great. I also think they would take him. I'm not a draft guru by any stretch but I want the Pirates to take the highest ceiling prospects and really build depth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ackley...wow, that would be fantastic! Great, I just got my hopes up.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:04 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Ackley...wow, that would be fantastic! Great, I just got my hopes up.

Well we can dream, I'd put our chances at getting him at less than 5%, but hey, maybe Seattle will have a DL moment?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 am 

From today's PPG in DK's Notebook section:

About the draft
General manager Neal Huntington sent to season-ticket holders a letter regarding the three-day draft and in it may have tipped the club's hand about selectivity and breadth:

"It does not seem likely there will be a Pedro Alvarez-type talent available to us when we select fourth. ... but the 2009 draft class is deeper than the 2008 class, and is especially deep in pitching talent. ... It is important that our draft be reviewed based on the total resources allocated by the August 15 deadline and not only the first few round selections on June 9. Our selections may or may not match-up with the rankings compiled by various publications, but in every case we will select the player who we feel will have the greatest impact on the Pirates' organization."

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09160/976052-63.stm#ixzz0HwaFrtT1&D

At risk of reading too much into this, I would harbor a guess that this signals that Aaron Crow will not be selected even if available. Is the August 15 "deadline" a reference to when drafted players must be signed?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:44 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I think that might be the Latin signings date??? Reference to Sano???

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am 

No. 9 wrote:

About the draft
General manager Neal Huntington sent to season-ticket holders a letter regarding the three-day draft and in it may have tipped the club's hand about selectivity and breadth:

"It does not seem likely there will be a Pedro Alvarez-type talent available to us when we select fourth. ... but the 2009 draft class is deeper than the 2008 class, and is especially deep in pitching talent. ... It is important that our draft be reviewed based on the total resources allocated by the August 15 deadline and not only the first few round selections on June 9. Our selections may or may not match-up with the rankings compiled by various publications, but in every case we will select the player who we feel will have the greatest impact on the Pirates' organization."

At risk of reading too much into this, I would harbor a guess that this signals that Aaron Crow will not be selected even if available. Is the August 15 "deadline" a reference to when drafted players must be signed?

I'm guessing Tony Sanchez (or the SS from USC) with the money saved being allocated to other rounds for pitching. I think this scenario syncs-up rather well with the above statement.

Edited to add that this letter doesn't give me warm tinglies. NH and Co. better have their Nomex suits at the ready.

Last edited by Argentum on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 am 

No. 9 wrote:

About the draft

It's not the most encouraging letter I've seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Translation..."We hope to draft a few Bryan Bullington-type pitchers..."

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm 

I would really like to have donovan tate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:34 pm 

Ackley, Crow or Matzek will be available. All are worthy of #4 pick. Matzek pitched in relief Saturday at Angels Stadium in his team's 1-0 victory. Stadium did not have a radar gun operating so I cannot be sure how hard he was throwing. I would estimate he was in the low 90's. He also had a plus curve and hit a home run for the only run of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 pm 

Here are notes from Law this AM and this is not encouraging.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4245143&name=mlb_draft&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4245143%26name%3dmlb_draft

Pittsburgh's mix is now Tony Sanchez, Zack Wheeler, Matt Hobgood and Grant Green. There's some thought they could take Aaron Crow and offer him slot, given his lack of leverage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Ackley, Crow or Matzek will be available. All are worthy of #4 pick. Matzek pitched in relief Saturday at Angels Stadium in his team's 1-0 victory. Stadium did not have a radar gun operating so I cannot be sure how hard he was throwing. I would estimate he was in the low 90's. He also had a plus curve and hit a home run for the only run of the game.

The knock on Matzek is his lack of a third pitch. He has a plus curve and fastball, his change is supposedly non-existent. Also a high schooler (not saying that's a bad thing per se) with some control issues. Could be 5-6 years down the road before he is ML ready. A project pick.

You've seen him a few times, what's your take?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:55 pm 

I have a feeling today is a big day for the Pirates organization.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:57 pm 

Cross your fingers and hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:28 pm 

I would be happy with Grant Green.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:12 pm 

Tony Sanchez, here we come.

Write it down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next