Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: karstens loses game !!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:11 am 

karstens is one of the shining examples of orgainizational depth the bucs picked up by trading their good players away !!

Post subject: Re: karstens loses game !!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 am 

Karstens isn't all that good. Of course if the pirates had some pop in their lineup they could have gotten a long fly ball to score a guy from 3rd earlier in the game or get a homerun for the victory.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:30 am 

piratefan1970 wrote:
karstens is one of the shining examples of orgainizational depth the bucs picked up by trading their good players away !!

Karstens is an example of why the Pirates obtained Bryan Morris, Charlie Morton, and Jeff Locke. They know that their pitching still has holes and they are getting quality arms in the organization.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:56 am 

Ryann wrote:
Karstens isn't all that good. Of course if the pirates had some pop in their lineup they could have gotten a long fly ball to score a guy from 3rd earlier in the game or get a homerun for the victory.

Yeah, the bunch of wimps only scored 6 runs. It's not like that's above average or anything.... Oh wait, it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:06 am 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Yeah, the bunch of wimps only scored 6 runs. It's not like that's above average or anything.... Oh wait, it is.

Willton, I don't often disagree with you, but... over 15 innings it is below average.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 am 

I think McCutchen is going to have some power. After seeing him hit it into deep center tonight he is going to crank a few homers soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 am 

Quote:
Willton, I don't often disagree with you, but... over 15 innings it is below average.

Any team that had Mclouth in the lineup would have been able to score more runs than 6 in 15 innings....Or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 am 

I honestly KNEW we were dead meat, when I saw Karstens come in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:01 am 

VanSlick wrote:

Come on. be honest.
You said the same thing when Jackson entered, when Meek entered...right??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 am 

VanSlick wrote:

I'm going to defend Karstens here. His was in a difficult position. He's a starter. He has a routine, pitch every 5 days with a light bullpen session somewhere in the middle. This has been his routine for quite some time (the announcers last night said when he last came out of the pen, I don't remember exactly what they said and am too lazy to look it up, but it was mop up duty while with the Yankees). He showed up to the park yesterday not thinking that he was going to have to deviate from his routine. Asking him to do so and to come in in a pressure situation like that is asking a lot. I would have been great to see him step up but I certainly don't blame him for the loss.

It was a great game with some excellent performances and some failures to come through in the clutch on both sides. The Pirates lost as a team. That's baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

In a 15 inning game? Yeah Wilton you are wrong when you have chances to win you need to capitalize. Monroe maybe should of been held at 3rd?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:30 pm 

McCutchen should have scored from third on the ground ball to first in I believe the 8th or 9th. Should have been running on contact. He scores there are no extra innings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:33 pm 

I knew there would be a post like this.

Our bullpen did a great job shutting them down for 8 scoreless innings. Their bullpen did the same thing to us. I pin this one on the offense. We were 2 for 12 with RISP.

Like Burghermeister said, this was a tough position to put Karstens in. Plus, the guy who scored the winning run actually should have been called out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
McCutchen should have scored from third on the ground ball to first in I believe the 8th or 9th. Should have been running on contact. He scores there are no extra innings.

I'm still scratching my head on that one. A ground ball to the right side, play right in front of him, should be going on contact.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:37 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Plus, the guy who scored the winning run actually should have been called out.

I disagree, Ralphie. It thought the replay showed that JJ's foot came off the bag before he caught the ball. Hell of a play by Jack to even make it close.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:40 pm 

Let's blame the game on a SP who was forced to come in in the 15th inning of a game, not the fact that the offense couldn't manage a run over six extra innings, and Karstens did manage a ground ball in which the throw only missed the runner by a couple inches.