Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McCutchen is making a believer out of me...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:03 pm 

What I like best about McCutchen is his poise. He doesn't look the least bit overwhelmed. That poise will come in handy once National League pitchers have a "book" on him and start pitching him differently.

My wife saw him hit that double in the 11th or 12th inning last night and called him "McClutchen." I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 pm 

With his hot start, the advance scouts will be filling up the book fast. Second time around will tell a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:18 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
With his hot start, the advance scouts will be filling up the book fast. Second time around will tell a lot.

McCutchen's bat speed will go a long way towards protecting him when the league tries to jam him inside, or go offspeed away.

His lightning-quick bat allows him to pound balls on the inner half. And his bat speed lets him wait on the pitch, so he is not as vulnerable to the slider just off the corner and just below the knees.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 pm 

OK, everyone knows how I feel about the trade. Let's not talk about that.

But, seriously, how long can we keep McCutcheon? He is young, and will be commanding big bucks real soon. I don't know how long he is under contract here, but my guess he won't be here in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
But, seriously, how long can we keep McCutcheon? He is young, and will be commanding big bucks real soon. I don't know how long he is under contract here, but my guess he won't be here in 2012.

The answer is for 6 full seasons after this one. That's when he will be eligible for free agency.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
OK, everyone knows how I feel about the trade. Let's not talk about that.

Don't they get six years with him at the majors, assuming they pay him what the arbitrators decide he should get? So that puts him here a while, considering his clock just started. I must admit my ignorance when it comes to all of the roster and free agency rules, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I really couldn't help but rain on the parade a little (sorry, I just can't help myself). McCutchen only has one walk in 30 plate appearances so far, and he has a ridiculous .440 BABIP; he didn't walk a lot in the minors either, for which the sample size is significant. I'm a little concerned for what happens to him in the long run if he doesn't have any patience. He may be another Vlad Guerrero type, but those guys are rare.

But it's nice to have a guy with such athletic skill in center field. He can fly, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:35 pm 

I'm pretty sure that this season won't count and they will have him for six seasons after this one. By not bringing him up until recently they probably maxxed out the time they will have him because this year won't count. (The rules on that are pretty arcane and were discussed in another thread not too long ago.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:39 pm 

StanRojek wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this season won't count and they will have him for six seasons after this one. By not bringing him up until recently they probably maxxed out the time they will have him because this year won't count. (The rules on that are pretty arcane and were discussed in another thread not too long ago.)

6 full seasons after this one, 3 at whatever salary they want to pay him (greater than or equal to the league minimum); 3 where he will be arbitration eligible. This is assuming he's up here for good which we all certainly hope is the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:48 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Also, I really couldn't help but rain on the parade a little (sorry, I just can't help myself). McCutchen only has one walk in 30 plate appearances so far, and he has a ridiculous .440 BABIP; he didn't walk a lot in the minors either, for which the sample size is significant.

His walk rate in the minors was generally at an acceptable level (10% of plate appearances).

For example, in his first season (rookie ball) in 2005, he walked 37 times in 247 plate appearances.

In 2007, at AA, he walked 44 times in 490 plate appearances.

In 2008, as a 21-year old in AAA, he walked 68 times in 590 plate appearances.

All together, he walked 220 times in the minor leagues in 2213 plate appearances. That walk rate is appropriate and acceptable.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... chen.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:
Also, I really couldn't help but rain on the parade a little (sorry, I just can't help myself). McCutchen only has one walk in 30 plate appearances so far, and he has a ridiculous .440 BABIP; he didn't walk a lot in the minors either, for which the sample size is significant.

His walk rate in the minors was generally at an acceptable level (10% of plate appearances).

For example, in his first season (rookie ball) in 2005, he walked 37 times in 247 plate appearances.

In 2007, at AA, he walked 44 times in 490 plate appearances.

In 2008, as a 21-year old in AAA, he walked 68 times in 590 plate appearances.

All together, he walked 220 times in the minor leagues in 2213 plate appearances. That walk rate is appropriate and acceptable.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... chen.shtml

Fair enough. I really haven't seen him play at all yet, so I'm just trying to get a sense as to whether he's a free swinger. Sounds like the answer is no. Although I propose that we trade him for Adam Dunn as soon as possible.

(That was a joke, before the flames start.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Although I propose that we trade him for Adam Dunn as soon as possible.

Rumor is that to get Dunn, Pirates would need to package McCutchen, Lincoln, Morris and Morton.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Fair enough. I really haven't seen him play at all yet, so I'm just trying to get a sense as to whether he's a free swinger. Sounds like the answer is no. Although I propose that we trade him for Adam Dunn as soon as possible.

(That was a joke, before the flames start.)

One of the stories that I heard is that when McCutchen was in A-ball, the pitchers were not very good at throwing strikes very often, and he was getting tired of getting pitched around or walked, so he started swinging at pitches outside of the zone just so he could get a hit. That's an awful habit to develop, but perhaps it was nipped in the bud soon after it was discovered. Many scouts say he's very disciplined as a hitter, so perhaps he will develop into more of a walking machine in the future. I don't think McCutchen is going to turn into Howie Kendrick or something like him.