Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Red Sox interested in Jack Wilson??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:58 am 

Brian Friday isn't that far away from being a part of the big club. It would be interesting to see what the Bucs can get for Wilson.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

curveradio wrote:
Brian Friday isn't that far away from being a part of the big club. It would be interesting to see what the Bucs can get for Wilson.

How would you compare Friday and Bixler? I have given up on Bixler but Friday intrigues me (even though I've never seen him play).

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Jack could certainly help Boston. They have enough hitting to cover his inability to walk a lot. And, unlike Sisy's analysis, I don't see much of a loss in range at all. He certainly hasn't lost much of his quick first step yet.

Also, Boston seems to appreciate intangibles in a player, in addition to his stats.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 pm 

Jack is having a hard time staying healthy, but when he's out there he is still a good player. I hope we sign him to an extension. Another option is to pick up a true major league shortstop from outside the organization, because we have no one else who can adequately play the position.

Brian Friday is next in line but is apparently a year or two away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:22 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Jack could certainly help Boston. They have enough hitting to cover his inability to walk a lot. And, unlike Sisy's analysis, I don't see much of a loss in range at all. He certainly hasn't lost much of his quick first step yet.

Also, Boston seems to appreciate intangibles in a player, in addition to his stats.

ZM

Oh please, no they don't. The only reason Boston would want Jack is to shore up the infield defense. They could give a rat's ass about his "grittiness" or that he's "a gamer."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:25 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Jack is having a hard time staying healthy, but when he's out there he is still a good player. I hope we sign him to an extension. Another option is to pick up a true major league shortstop from outside the organization, because we have no one else who can adequately play the position.

Brian Friday is next in line but is apparently a year or two away.

I'd rather see the Bucs find a cheaper option in free agency. $7M is a lot to pay a player whose only positive quality is a diminishing defensive prowess, and if we sign him, it will likely have to be for more money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
Oh please, no they don't. The only reason Boston would want Jack is to shore up the infield defense. They could give a rat's ass about his "grittiness" or that he's "a gamer."

That's right. They are all about performance stats... that's why the best RH hitter in in the last 15 years is now laying LF for LA... Because, you know, they don't care about things like attitude, chemistry and intangibles.

And, intangibles are not "grittiness" or "gaming" though that is what you constantly try to pigeonhole it as.

Let's try... ability to recognize and take the extra base. Or, how about the look on a pitchers face and his confidence to pitch to contact with Jack, not Lugo, in the hole behind him.

Nah, none of that is important... :?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:

Are we having an old timers game? :lol:

I know something that's getting old...

So do I,

You, waiting until I post, and then posting some stalker response. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 pm 

Last year I wanted to move Wilson. This year it has become obvious that he is being over-paid by the Pirates and no one wants to spend that much for an injury a minute guy who can't hit. Has so little value, we should just keep him. Extend him only if he's willing to take much less.

What does it say that the Pirates are OVERPAYING Wilson? Aren't they cheap? What the hell happened to Nutting?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:14 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Willton wrote:

That's right. They are all about performance stats... that's why the best RH hitter in in the last 15 years is now laying LF for LA... Because, you know, they don't care about things like attitude, chemistry and intangibles.

And, intangibles are not "grittiness" or "gaming" though that is what you constantly try to pigeonhole it as.

Let's try... ability to recognize and take the extra base. Or, how about the look on a pitchers face and his confidence to pitch to contact with Jack, not Lugo, in the hole behind him.

Nah, none of that is important... :?

ZM

"Manny being Manny" is an extreme circumstance, and the Red Sox did not give him up for pennies on the dollar. I promise you that the Red Sox are not discussing whether Jack's attitude is good or bad for the team.

All that other stuff you mentioned can be quantified and is certainly tangible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If he made about half of what he does, I'd love to see him in Kansas City...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:26 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
"Manny being Manny" is an extreme circumstance, and the Red Sox did not give him up for pennies on the dollar. I promise you that the Red Sox are not discussing whether Jack's attitude is good or bad for the team.

Really, they certainly did with Manny.

Quote:
All that other stuff you mentioned can be quantified and is certainly tangible.

Really, you can quantify a pitchers confidence for me? Oh, you can determine if a pitcher's ability to throw aggressive strikes or pitch to contact is more or less with Wilson, I suppose. However, you would have to attribute that to "something" that Wilson brings that Lugo doesn't. And, unless you can causally correlate Jack's UZR to "Pitcher Confidence Index" or some such. Or, a 3b coaches willingness to let Wilson make the call on the basepaths... You won't be able to quantify "that stuff".

ZM