Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: June 8th Pirates (26-30) @ Braves (27-28)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:41 am 

Amazing. These guys want to diss our new center fielder. They would also criticize JC if he walked the earth today.

All I'm saying is when Nate hit his homer, Andrew went to the wall and leaped high over it. The ball was gone but it impressed me that he could get that high above the fence. It suggests that he will make some of those HR catches we've only been able to watch on ESPN.

He is clearly the real deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:46 am 

Argentum wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
Anyone else think 'Cutch really played that last one poorly? It seemed like he was drifting back and it bounced in front of him. I'm suprised the Pirates announcers haven't said anything.

I'm watching on TV and they said that essentially.

I went to bed because I couldn't stand the thought of them losing, but I'll take a stab at defending Cutch even though I didn't see the play in question. I'm guessing he was simply making sure the ball stayed in front of him. Giving up a single is better than the risk associated with giving up extra bases on a misplay.

I wasn't ripping Cutch at all I hope it didn't sound that way. I started a thread about how great he is earlier. I think he didn't read it well but that is to be expected since every park and every hitter is new right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
I wasn't ripping Cutch at all I hope it didn't sound that way. I started a thread about how great he is earlier. I think he didn't read it well but that is to be expected since every park and every hitter is new right now.

It didn't sound that way at all. You made a good observation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:27 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Argentum wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

I'm watching on TV and they said that essentially.

I went to bed because I couldn't stand the thought of them losing, but I'll take a stab at defending Cutch even though I didn't see the play in question. I'm guessing he was simply making sure the ball stayed in front of him. Giving up a single is better than the risk associated with giving up extra bases on a misplay.

He still looks a little tentative out there in the field if not at the plate. It's surprised me because I would have expected the opposite. Agree with BostonBuc that it's just an adjustment period and not something to be overly concerned with.

Also, in his defense, if he dives and misses, the game's over. In that situation, you've got to be sure you can get it before you go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 am 

burghermeister wrote:
He still looks a little tentative out there in the field if not at the plate. It's surprised me because I would have expected the opposite. Agree with BostonBuc that it's just an adjustment period and not something to be overly concerned with.

Also, in his defense, if he dives and misses, the game's over. In that situation, you've got to be sure you can get it before you go for it.

I was listening to Bob Walk talk the other night that it might take McCutchen a while to get adjusted to playing in stadiums that big, that it takes the ball longer to get into the sky line...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7