Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:
It's pretty common for the best athlete on a high school baseball team to play shortstop. I don't think that should have anything to do with his potential position at the major league level. None.


No, but if you have a long jam at the catching position and need to move one of your prospects, the one who was athletic enough to play shortstop in high school is probably the one most likely to be able to handle another infield position. Or would you prefer to see Ron Paul trying out the hot corner?


I see your point and I don't have any problem with moving players from a position where you're log-jammed to another position. To me, though, where they played in high school shouldn't be a factor in this decision.

I don't have any hard numbers to back this up with anything, but I do have an educated opinion (I've followed a lot of high school baseball through the years) ... many many professional ball players played shortstop in high school. Again, this is because the best athlete on a high school baseball team very often ends up playing short. I don't think that's really a factor in pro ball since so many played there.

As for the walker case specifically, I'm torn. They were thin at catcher and thin at third. I hadn't seen him behind the plate since high school so I can't speak on how good he's been defensively. I can say, though, that with the defensive leash that Paulino and Doumit were given, I would have liked to see Walker get more of a leash at catcher.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4139
Location: Zelienople, PA
sisy,

I went back and looked at all the posts I could find, and I'll apologize for misreading and misrepresenting what you said. It seems, we are in fact, saying the same thing about Walker, that his exceptional athetecism allowed for his conversion.

I guess I was too busy being Wile E. Coyote, to slow down and read.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5047
Location: Pittsburgh
ZelieMike wrote:
sisy,

I went back and looked at all the posts I could find, and I'll apologize for misreading and misrepresenting what you said. It seems, we are in fact, saying the same thing about Walker, that his exceptional athetecism allowed for his conversion.

I guess I was too busy being Wile E. Coyote, to slow down and read.

ZM

Thank you. I figured that you must have missed something, or at least misunderstood something I wrote, because we were basically saying the same thing.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5047
Location: Pittsburgh
Mayor Mystery wrote:
BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:
It's pretty common for the best athlete on a high school baseball team to play shortstop. I don't think that should have anything to do with his potential position at the major league level. None.


No, but if you have a long jam at the catching position and need to move one of your prospects, the one who was athletic enough to play shortstop in high school is probably the one most likely to be able to handle another infield position. Or would you prefer to see Ron Paul trying out the hot corner?


I see your point and I don't have any problem with moving players from a position where you're log-jammed to another position. To me, though, where they played in high school shouldn't be a factor in this decision.

I don't have any hard numbers to back this up with anything, but I do have an educated opinion (I've followed a lot of high school baseball through the years) ... many many professional ball players played shortstop in high school. Again, this is because the best athlete on a high school baseball team very often ends up playing short. I don't think that's really a factor in pro ball since so many played there.

As for the walker case specifically, I'm torn. They were thin at catcher and thin at third. I hadn't seen him behind the plate since high school so I can't speak on how good he's been defensively. I can say, though, that with the defensive leash that Paulino and Doumit were given, I would have liked to see Walker get more of a leash at catcher.

Since you admit that you hadn't seen him play behind the plate after high school you are assuming that his performance was as good as Paulino and Doumit's. Isn't it possible that his performance was significantly worse than theirs had been? Come to think of it, you probably never saw Paulino or Doumit behind the plate in the minors either, so it's quite plain that you have no idea what you're talking about here. I never saw them catch in the minors, either, so I'm forced to rely on the scouting reports I read. All of them pointed out that Walker wasn't doing well as a catcher. If you doubt that, consider this: how hard do you think it would be to trade a decent defensive catcher with a live bat for a decent defensive third baseman with a similar bat?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
Walker was a good football player in high school. He should change sports.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6200
His receiving was not impressive in the AFL during his stint here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10560
sisyphus wrote:
Once again, here is what I said. You have three catchers with suspect defense.


I am going to note, for the 4th time this season, that Doumit is not a "plus" defensive player right now, but focusing on that fact simply ignores what is happening.

Instead of focusing on where he is, look at where he is going. His defensive improvement from last year to this has been considerable. He is playing C full-time in the majors for the first time this season. He seems like a hard worker, based on his improvement over the past 2 years - both on defense and hitting. He has a plus arm behind the plate.

By this time next season, I believe that we will look at Doumit as being a good defensive catcher. Good, not great, mind you, but his hitting will make him a very, very valuable player.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Neil Walker issue
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5047
Location: Pittsburgh
Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Once again, here is what I said. You have three catchers with suspect defense.


I am going to note, for the 4th time this season, that Doumit is not a "plus" defensive player right now, but focusing on that fact simply ignores what is happening.

Instead of focusing on where he is, look at where he is going. His defensive improvement from last year to this has been considerable. He is playing C full-time in the majors for the first time this season. He seems like a hard worker, based on his improvement over the past 2 years - both on defense and hitting. He has a plus arm behind the plate.

By this time next season, I believe that we will look at Doumit as being a good defensive catcher. Good, not great, mind you, but his hitting will make him a very, very valuable player.

I'd like to agree with you, but I can't. I don't think he'll ever be more than an average defender. Given his bat, average is just fine with me.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Charleston_Charlies, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits