Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kyle Gibson
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 pm 

Ryann wrote:
He was a 2nd round pick asking a reasonable price. His upside is higher then his injury risk that is why he is going to be a 1st/2nd round pick this year. We could have had him going through the minors this year but the stupidity of the pirates passed up on signing him.

And what was this "reasonable price"? What exactly was he asking for? Perhaps you could tell us this so that we can make an evaluation ourselves.

Yes, we could have had Scheppers if we signed him, and we very well may have been happy with it. However, what you fail to understand is that the information that we have now was not available at the time we drafted him. At the time he was to be signed, he showed no indication that he would be the same pitcher that he is showing himself to be now. At the time, he looked like a broken pitcher that possibly could be fixed. You don't give first-round money to that kind of player.

He also is still a huge injury risk, and that risk is compounded by the lack of a clear injury report. All we know is that he had shoulder problems that last year prevented him from throwing a fastball higher than 76 MPH and throwing a breaking ball at all. It was very clear that Scheppers was hiding something, and I would not sign someone to the amount of money for which he was asking if that someone is holding back secrets that would affect his value.

Quote:
Drafting Gibson in my opinion would be a mistake if he is only throwing 84-90 that isnt stuff wise the best talent you can get at the 4th pick in the draft. I think the pirates should get Tate. If for someone reason they couldnt sign him because of football or college or whatever they would get first round compensation next year for him. And since this years draft doesnt have as much talent as next years they would maybe get a better player. Draft tate.

That assumes that Tate would get to the Pirates. I have a feeling that that won't happen.