Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kyle Gibson
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:58 pm 

As reported in the PG today, He is very likely to be thew Pirates choice at no.4 on Tuesday.

I can't give you the link (cuz I'm ignorant) but I read that he has a stress fracture in the forearm of his throwing arm and soreness in his throwing sholder. Article doesn't conclude TJ surgery but brings up questions doesn't it?

Post subject: Re: Kyle Gibson
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:32 pm 

Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/PPGarticle

The article notes, at the very bottom, that Gibson was recently diagnosed with the stress fracture in his pitching arm.
That is going to create some significant questions about taking him with the 4th pick ... just don't know that the team can risk such a high selection on a pitcher with an injury before he throws his first pitch for the organization.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Here is the link:

The article notes, at the very bottom, that Gibson was recently diagnosed with the stress fracture in his pitching arm.
That is going to create some significant questions about taking him with the 4th pick ... just don't know that the team can risk such a high selection on a pitcher with an injury before he throws his first pitch for the organization.

He ain't going in the first round. That article was written weeks ago and they didn't have time to replace it so ran it with the footnote.

Maybe he is worth the comp pick in the second.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:53 pm 

Stress fracture in pitching forearm=not good. I think he would be worth a chance after the first round.

Has anyone been watching the CWS. Curious what the buzz on Mike Leake of ASU might be. He threw a pretty good game last night and is 16-1 this year. My only worry is not many ASU pitcher's go anywhere after ASU. Pat Murphy surprised me last night by not sending him out for the 9th. Maybe he didn't want to embarrass himself by letting his starter go 130 pitches plus in front of a mass of scouts and GM's at the game here in Tempe last night. It was the second time I had seen Leake pitch and I could drink the kool aid on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:00 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Here is the link:

He ain't going in the first round. That article was written weeks ago and they didn't have time to replace it so ran it with the footnote.

Maybe he is worth the comp pick in the second.

From the FWIW category since everything other than Stephen Strasburg qualifies as pure speculation . . . on MLB.Radio yesterday, 2 guys doing a draft preview noted that the Pirates were the only team to have their "team" at every one of Aaron Crow's starts in Texas during the Independent League this year. They guessed (speculated, engaged in conjecture) that Aaron Crow would be the Pirates' pick.

Kyle Gibson will not be a popular choice. Not by far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:01 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Stress fracture in pitching forearm=not good. I think he would be worth a chance after the first round.

Has anyone been watching the CWS. Curious what the buzz on Mike Leake of ASU might be. He threw a pretty good game last night and is 16-1 this year. My only worry is not many ASU pitcher's go anywhere after ASU. Pat Murphy surprised me last night by not sending him out for the 9th. Maybe he didn't want to embarrass himself by letting his starter go 130 pitches plus in front of a mass of scouts and GM's at the game here in Tempe last night. It was the second time I had seen Leake pitch and I could drink the kool aid on this one.

You have raised the one question that GM's have about certain pitchers from certain teams - workload. The one concern that some GM's had about Brad Lincoln was not his velocity, or curve, or command, or baseball intellect. It was that he threw 130 innings for Houston and a lot of those pitches were in close games, under duress.

For that reason, I would be a bit concerned about selecting Leake, given his work load.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Assessments I've seen have Leake somewhere around 8th or so. Supposedly...the biggest strike against him is his size...but there are quite a few pitchers that aren't 6'4" that have been successful. I wouldn't consider him an overdraft if the Pirates were to take him at 4. Kevin Goldstein at baseball prospectus...considers his upper end an above average starter and occasional All-Star. That would be a 1st or 2nd starter in the rotation.

EDIT...after taking a look at the ASU stats...he has thrown 132 innings this year. I'd say that if the Pirates were to draft him...you probably wouldn't see him pitch much before August. I'd think they would give him some down time after the CWS.

Last edited by Thunder on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:05 pm 

We are well versed in the Pat Murphy Philosophy of Pitcher Use. In his world, you could see Leake being used in a pinch on Monday is needed. The starter today, an Aussie, is coming back early from an injury. Oh my.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We are well versed in the Pat Murphy Philosophy of Pitcher Use. In his world, you could see Leake being used in a pinch on Monday is needed.

That is just unforgiveable. Research has proven that rotator cuff and elbow ligament injuries are repetitive trauma conditions that are made more likely where the athlete keeps throwing after inflammation has affected the involved area - in other words, the pitcher is throwing 120+ pitches in a game.

Bringing a pitcher back on short rest after he throws a ton of pitches worsens the damage to the elbow and shoulder.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:36 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We are well versed in the Pat Murphy Philosophy of Pitcher Use. In his world, you could see Leake being used in a pinch on Monday is needed. The starter today, an Aussie, is coming back early from an injury. Oh my.

Pat Murphy = Dusty Baker???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:57 pm 

The college version but there are many of those in the college ranks.

Leake is 6' but he can turn it up to 94-95.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:09 pm 

watch the pirates end up taking tanner scheppers who we should have signed last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:15 pm 

Ryann wrote:
watch the pirates end up taking tanner scheppers who we should have signed last year.

As per the draft rules, the Pirates cannot pick Scheppers without his consent because they did not sign him last year. Again, get your facts straight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm 

Here is a fact wilton the pirates are stupid for not signing tanner last year that was the point of my post not that they should or really likely will it was a joking post were a basicly said they are stupid for not signing him. Since they say they will take the most talented player tanner projects that high and he is possibly one of the more talented players in the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah, passing on a guy who was hurt, couldn't throw harder than 76, wouldn't even try to throw a curveball, and who demanded 1st round monies.

Yep, Ryann, passing on that was "stupid". As opposed to what you would have said had they signed another college pitcher who was hurt and couldn't even throw a fastball.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Yeah, passing on a guy who was hurt, couldn't throw harder than 76, wouldn't even try to throw a curveball, and who demanded 1st round monies.

Yep, Ryann, passing on that was "stupid". As opposed to what you would have said had they signed another college pitcher who was hurt and couldn't even throw a fastball.

ZM

Yeah he could and can throw harder then 76 and is a great player he didnt ask for first round money he wanted a fair price not like pedro alvarez money.
He is a first round pick this year and getting first round talent in the 2nd round is really not what the pirates need to rebuild the organization :roll:

Yeah scheppers must really suck since major league scouts are projecting him going in the first round on everyones board. But im sure you know sooo much more then those silly major league scouts :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:28 am 

Gibson has a fast ball that clocks somewhere in between 88-91. I read somewhere last week some scouting reports that had him clocked at a game recently at 84-87. Even before it was discovered he has a stress fracture in his arm, he already had a lot of mileage on it, and projects at the 3rd spot in the rotation.

I fully expect we will draft him tomorrow.

*edit: found

"One of the more consistent performers this spring, Gibson put up good numbers in his final start of the year, tossing eight shutout innings in a regional start, but that was against a non-threatening Monmouth lineup. More importantly, his fastball was suddenly sitting at just 84-87 mph, and he's been struggling with what has been classified as forearm tightness, though it has many worried that it could be, or end up being, more serious than that. "We all know what the forearm is connected to," quipped one scouting director."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ryann wrote:

Yeah he could and can throw harder then 76 and is a great player he didnt ask for first round money he wanted a fair price not like pedro alvarez money.
He is a first round pick this year and getting first round talent in the 2nd round is really not what the pirates need to rebuild the organization :roll:

Yeah scheppers must really suck since major league scouts are projecting him going in the first round on everyones board. But im sure you know sooo much more then those silly major league scouts :roll: :roll: :roll:

Absolutly foolish. Sheppers could NOT get his fastball above 76 in his tryout, and could not even attempt a curve. He wanted 1st round money.

Show me how any of that is wrong.

Then tell me why you would have paid an injured pitcher first round money.

I don't know everything about baseball, or some argue, even a fair amount. But, it does appear to be more than the guy who's initial analyses here consisted of "he sucks".

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 am 

Ryann wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Scheppers is a huge injury risk, and I don't know if you've been paying attention the last few years, but the Pirates have been having issues with first-round pitchers getting injured and later becoming ineffective. I can understand being cautious with such a player, especially when the details of his shoulder problems are still to this day very unclear. One thing I do know is that you don't pay full price for damaged goods, and that's exactly what Scheppers was last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:37 pm 

He was a 2nd round pick asking a reasonable price. His upside is higher then his injury risk that is why he is going to be a 1st/2nd round pick this year. We could have had him going through the minors this year but the stupidity of the pirates passed up on signing him.

Drafting Gibson in my opinion would be a mistake if he is only throwing 84-90 that isnt stuff wise the best talent you can get at the 4th pick in the draft. I think the pirates should get Tate. If for someone reason they couldnt sign him because of football or college or whatever they would get first round compensation next year for him. And since this years draft doesnt have as much talent as next years they would maybe get a better player. Draft tate.