Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 5/24/08 Cubs Vs Pirates
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:05 pm 

It was nice to see Rivas get the job done. I guess he moves back to short in the top of the 10th. Wouldn't it be nice to see a walk off jack from La Roche to win it?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:13 pm 

Nope.. instead we get to see Capps bat for himself. It's on the 11th..

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:17 am 

Bottom of the 14th inning.. Sanchez, Rivas, Mc Louth due up..

How about six scoreless innings from Capps and Grabow tonight?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:31 am 

Pirates win! Pirates win!!

Freddy reaches on an error, scores on Jason Bay's sac fly! Bay gets mobbed.. there was nooooooooooo doubt about it, folks!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:32 am 

Was it a sac fly or single? On mlb gameday it says single.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:57 am 

Wow what a great win. I was at a hockey game and was getting text updates. Bay is on fire right now. 4-6 tonight with another blast? I have to admit, I didn't give us much of a chance tonight, but sometimes I love when I'm wrong! Would have been EXCITING to watch on WGN which I would have done if I was home. I wish tomorrow's game would be on but I think it's White Sox.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:29 am 

Ryann wrote:
Was it a sac fly or single? On mlb gameday it says single.

Interesting play, actually. I just watched it on the Gameday video. It was a clear single to the wall but the Cubs OFer made no effort to try to get to it or make the catch because the game would have been over hit or sac fly. Regardless, definitely a single.

Equally impressive that they did it with Nady getting the night off. I also see that Chavez made a very nice pick-off throw to catch Soriano getting back to second. And how good has Gomez been off the bench?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:31 am 

Pirates and Cubs on WGN Sunday too! Paul Maholm on the mound.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:35 am 

Ollie wrote:
Pirates and Cubs on WGN Sunday too! Paul Maholm on the mound.

Oh, very nice. Could have sworn I checked the schedule a few days ago and saw the weekend going Sox-Cubs-Sox. But like I said a few posts ago, sometimes I'm very glad when I'm wrong. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:00 am 

Pretty good win, and Capps did a very nice job. Capps logged his two K's with very impressive breaking balls. Grabow's control problems almost cost the Buccos the game, but they got the lead runner on the "wheel" play in the top of the 13th with two runners on (both walked) and no outs. First time I have seen it run successfully in a year.

Bay had some really good at bats. He is hitting the ball on the nose. What I like about Bay is that he will smoke the first pitch fastball if it is down the middle. He kind of lulls pitchers into thinking that they can throw the fastball over the middle of the plate to get ahead, but on occasion he will crush that pitch.

If Bay can hit like this for a few weeks, and if Nate can stay hot, and if Nady can keep hitting, and if Doumit returns within a week or so, and if I win the lottery . . .

Lotta ifs.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:34 am 

Could Jason Bay BE any more unclutch? Seriously? Only a single to win the game? Why not a homerun? Oh, because he only hits homeruns to give us the lead in the first place. The guy is a joke.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:04 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Pretty good win, and Capps did a very nice job. Capps logged his two K's with very impressive breaking balls. Grabow's control problems almost cost the Buccos the game, but they got the lead runner on the "wheel" play in the top of the 13th with two runners on (both walked) and no outs. First time I have seen it run successfully in a year.

Bay had some really good at bats. He is hitting the ball on the nose. What I like about Bay is that he will smoke the first pitch fastball if it is down the middle. He kind of lulls pitchers into thinking that they can throw the fastball over the middle of the plate to get ahead, but on occasion he will crush that pitch.

If Bay can hit like this for a few weeks, and if Nate can stay hot, and if Nady can keep hitting, and if Doumit returns within a week or so, and if I win the lottery . . .

Lotta ifs.

Bay is getting hot, it might be time to pull out the roll-a-dex with the rest of the MLB Teams on it and ask if anyone needs and OFer/DH...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 am 

nad69dan wrote:

Bay is getting hot, it might be time to pull out the roll-a-dex with the rest of the MLB Teams on it and ask if anyone needs and OFer/DH...

First, I realize that you get more for Bay in a trade. However I think they ought to feel out the market for Nady first. I'd say LaRoche also, but the only market for him is at the fish market(where everything stinks). If they could get ANYTHING for him I'd cut the ties immediately. Pearce is a natural first baseman and if you draft Alvarez he could also move to first base.

Nady's value won't ever be any higher than it is now so that would be the first move I would make. With Boras as his agent and his age and inconsistency I don't think he factors in to the future. Bay might. Plus Bay's value isn't as likely to plummet as Nady's will. So you could keep Bay as a POSSIBLE cornerstone in the middle of your lineup. When the time is right you bring up McCutchen and figure out whether to move Bay to right because there is less ground to cover or keep him in left because of his arm. McClouth could make the adjustment either way. Then if you still want to move Bay later you can, and he probably won't have lost much, if any, value.

Now if the other team's GM's would just play along we'd be ok......

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:39 am 

I can see the idea of trading Nady 1st to get an eye on the market of what Bay could bring later on...
But right now, Nady's hammy is bothering him again not to mention his groin too. The knock on Nady was if he was healthy enough to play everyday, hopefully these are very minor things and a night or 2 off will help, but GM's know whats going on...
Bay is not someone they need to build around now, since his contract is going to be up in a few years and will want more money and will be or close to 30...His arm is awful, and his defense can be below average at times too...plus I just dont see him continuing putting numbers up like hes doing now...I think its a good time to trade him, since he's hot...Plus the Pirates might land another OFer or 1st baseman to take up that spot

I said during the offseason, I thought 2 of the 3 of LaRoche, Bay and Nady should be dealt, with Pearce being able to fill in the OF and at 1st...For some reason I dont think LaRoche is going anywhere...so that leaves Nady and Bay...Bay is on a tear and is healthy, I'd be calling everyone in the league to see whos desperate...then work move on to Nady when the groin and hamstring are less of an issue, and he's swinging the bat again too...

Trading both Bay and Nady this year wont kill the team...Thompson is still at AAA, McCutchen is there, Pearce, and Mr. Pepsi...The OF depth is there, trade the hot pieces...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:36 pm 

BBF wrote:
Could Jason Bay BE any more unclutch? Seriously? Only a single to win the game? Why not a homerun? Oh, because he only hits homeruns to give us the lead in the first place. The guy is a joke.

Bay sux. He's unclutch AND he doesn't hustle.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

First, I realize that you get more for Bay in a trade. However I think they ought to feel out the market for Nady first. I'd say LaRoche also, but the only market for him is at the fish market(where everything stinks). If they could get ANYTHING for him I'd cut the ties immediately. Pearce is a natural first baseman and if you draft Alvarez he could also move to first base.

Nady's value won't ever be any higher than it is now so that would be the first move I would make. With Boras as his agent and his age and inconsistency I don't think he factors in to the future. Bay might. Plus Bay's value isn't as likely to plummet as Nady's will. So you could keep Bay as a POSSIBLE cornerstone in the middle of your lineup. When the time is right you bring up McCutchen and figure out whether to move Bay to right because there is less ground to cover or keep him in left because of his arm. McClouth could make the adjustment either way. Then if you still want to move Bay later you can, and he probably won't have lost much, if any, value.

Now if the other team's GM's would just play along we'd be ok......

Adam LaRoche's OPS:

over the last 7 days is 1.010
over the last 14 days is .839
over the last 28 days is .875

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:58 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Adam LaRoche's OPS:

over the last 7 days is 1.010
over the last 14 days is .839
over the last 28 days is .875

Just like it was silly to get overly worked up about LaRoche's poor performance in April, it is equally silly to get overly worked up over his very good May.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:01 pm 

BBF wrote:

Somewhere out there in Souix City, Iowa, IA Pirate is cringing. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:14 pm 

La Roche double, Bautista single! Tie game, folks!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:30 pm 

LaRoche is doing great, so is Bay. Let's hope it continues. I hope so.