Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Big Picture
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:48 am 

OK everyone like Nate, the fans and players. He is now gone so lets move on. He is not the best Pirate to have been traded in the past year, that was Bay, maybe even Nady. Nate had one good year and was very average this year. He was the Pirates biggest commodity. I see the Pirates as a competitive team two to three years down the road. They need to make some deals now so that whe the time comes they will have the pieces in place to compete. I am hoping that within the next two years, Cutch, Alvarez, Tabata, Walker (not sure about him), and Hernandez will all be contributing. That is some fire power and quite a youg nucleus.

Now what do we do about pitching????? We will draft a pitcher this year with our #1 so hopefully that pick is ot a bust like nearly all of our picks. Maholm should be there and I am hoping that Gorzo will make a rebound. If Duke continues to show flashes of a #3 picture I believe that he will be traded and will be one of the top pitchers in demand at the trade deadline. He should bring us two to three quality prospects. I am also praying that LaRoche hits a few more HRs so that he has some trade value.

The organization hopefully has a plan and is following it. However if they do not figure out a way to keep the players they develop then it is all a for nothing anyway. For example, If they trade away Alvarez or Cutch when their contracts are up you will see an exodus of fans from this team. I will be one and that will have been the last straw. I know that I am not alone on that one.

Post subject: I Disagree...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:53 am 

I think we build AROUND Maholm and Duke. They are still young, and are now just showing some consistency. Leave them alone and build around them. We have some real quality that should be able to give us a very good 5-man rotation. Snell, Gorrzy, Karstens, Ohlendorf, McCutchen, Morton, Moskos,...I am sure there are a couple I am forgetting...

If we move LaRoche or JWilson, look for more Pitching if you wish, or a young 1b or SS prospect.

But I see no need to move either Duke or Maholm, when they are just now getting to where we want pitchers to eventually BE...and are still fairly young.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: The Big Picture
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:57 am 

Pirates are just 4 games out why not stick with their talent for at least another month and see were they are then..

Post subject: Re: The Big Picture
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:12 am 

Ryann wrote:
Pirates are just 4 games out why not stick with their talent for at least another month and see were they are then..

Because it's unrealistic to expect anything more from the current group of players, and sometimes you have to pull the trigger on what you perceive to be a good deal. Waiting around 'til the last minute was a tactic of Littlefield that got us the least amount of value for anyone we traded during that time.