Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McLouth debut
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:50 am 

Ryann wrote:
I say the nady deal was pretty good we got ohlendorf and tabata and karstens still can help if he starts pitching better. But the bay deal has been terrible and we get a better return for nady and marte then for all star mclouth!

It's hard to tell on that. Morton tears up Triple-A but he hasn't been able to turn that into during good in the majors, i don't really know much about the other pitcher, but he was ranked higher than Kris Medlen and i think Medlen will be really good one day. As far as Gorky goes i don't really like him. He is an okay player but he is a powerless hitter, and i don't think that is what we should have been looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:14 pm 

Ryann wrote:
No spin I need you people to answer this question. What is the main goal of a baseball team? Is it to win? Or is it to stock potential talent in the minors?

Ryann ... do you seriously believe that these two things are mutually exclusive? Every person who is or has been involved with front offices for professional baseball teams, since the early 20th century, believes that winning is directly linked to stockpiling high-caliber, high-ceiling prospects in the minors.

The Yankees won World Series by developing Jeter, Posoda, Bernie Williams, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, etc. Since they began spending a zillion dollars on free agents, they have won nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:51 pm 

Ryann wrote:
No spin I need you people to answer this question. What is the main goal of a baseball team? Is it to win? Or is it to stock potential talent in the minors?

Its about winning consistantly, not one or two years then blowing it up and starting all over again, like the Marlins have done...Until that is ready, you have to stockpile your farm system...

Its about building your minor leagues and having guys waiting in the wings ready to fill in, then you fill some of the holes in with free agents...

You dont buy a car cuz it looks pretty or has a nice body...you need to look under the hood too, a crappy engine and a leaky transmission wont get you far in the race...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Its about winning consistantly, not one or two years then blowing it up and starting all over again, like the Marlins have done...Until that is ready, you have to stockpile your farm system...

Its about building your minor leagues and having guys waiting in the wings ready to fill in, then you fill some of the holes in with free agents...

You dont buy a car cuz it looks pretty or has a nice body...you need to look under the hood too, a crappy engine and a leaky transmission wont get you far in the race...

...and when you sell your race car for spare parts, halfway through the race, you finish in last place, ...every year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:34 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
...and when you sell your race car ...

Guys like Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez, Jose Tabata, Ross Ohlendorf, Brad Lincoln, Bryan Morris, Andy Laroche, Joe Locke, Robbie Grossman, Quentin Miller, and perhaps Gorkys Hernandez are "race car" quality.

That is the point that you do not acknowledge. You simply dismiss the talent acquired as mediocre, but in the process fail to admit that the Pirates have now stockpiled better high-ceiling talent than they have had since 1987.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:07 pm 

Ryann wrote:

The main goal is to be competitive year after year. Not win 82 games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:10 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

...and when you sell your race car for spare parts, halfway through the race, you finish in last place, ...every year.

McLouth a race car, LOL.

McLouth was a midsize sedan with an engine upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:24 pm 

The world of the Bob Nutting Apologist certainly is chalk full of hate:

All former players, especially all stars, are bums, the second they leave for "High Ceiling" minor league talent. :lol:

All Fans are referred to as "they", meaning the enemy. Fans want to win and will blame management when all time records for losing are broken. They're just funny that way.
You know, all of us fans, referred to as "they". :lol:

The only players officially sanctioned to pull for, are the lesser minor league players that Money-stealin Bob brings in from salary dumping trades. :lol:

Wow. That's a heavy load full of hate there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 pm 

Fact is, the team it self hasn't been a race car even if some of the players were the components to one. The ONLY way to build the team is to acquire more younger talent for the future. Thinking the Pirates are going to keep Bay or Nady or McLouth around and add to it by spending money on free agents is ludicrous. You'd think Jeromy Burnitz and Joe Randa and Wil Cordero may have taught us that. All the Pirates can do is trust their scouting staff and hope that the players acquired pan out in the near future. The previous regime never acquired anyone for fans to even have hope for. So, I think they're moving in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:00 pm 

The top 8 spending teams in baseball are all either leading their division, or in second place.

How's that Moneyball doin in Oakland this year?

How about that shrewd bunch in Cleveland?

That's what I thought.

You want to win?

Write a check, and stop lying to the fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:56 pm 

Then buy the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:00 am 

Rod Serling wrote:
The top 8 spending teams in baseball are all either leading their division, or in second place.

How's that Moneyball doin in Oakland this year?

How about that shrewd bunch in Cleveland?

That's what I thought.

You want to win?

Write a check, and stop lying to the fans.

didn't i write an answer to this same thing before.