Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Angry But Still Went to the Game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 pm 

This article made me laugh...

They are all mad and protesting, but yet they all were tailgating and went to the game yesterday...

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09156/975198-63.stm

Quote:
Nate McLouth had left PNC Park, but the fans' displeasure was everywhere. It was outside at the tailgates where one group of fans drove nearly 75 miles to protest. It was inside the ballpark in the three outfield signs that ridiculed the deal and called for the trade of general manager Neal Huntington. And it was on the face of nearly every Pirates fan, young and old, after another trade of another popular young outfielder.

Quote:
Jeffrey C. Paige and his two friends drove from New Florence in Westmoreland County to make sure their anger was represented at the park. The trio wore shirts that said "Nate the Great" on the back in protest of the trade.

"I think it's terrible," Paige said while the group was tailgating. "They said he was the cornerstone for success. Last year, we had the most productive outfield in Major League Baseball, and with the trade of McLouth, that outfield is completely gone.

"They told us eight or nine years ago this team would compete in five years. I'm tired of waiting."

Dick Hay, who said he was a friend of minority owner Dennis Adams, also was tailgating outside the stadium before heading in. And like the crew from New Florence, he was unhappy.

"This is the last game I am going to, and I am burning all of my Pirates hats," he said. "Management has been doing this for 15 years. Every time we get a new guy, we trade him. ... I e-mailed Dennis Adams trying to have him sell his personal stake in the team."

Despite their displeasure, fans still went to the game, funding the franchise through ticket and concession sales. The crowd of 20,683 was the fifth-largest weekday afternoon crowd in PNC Park history, and more than 3,300 of those tickets were sold to fans who bought them from the box office yesterday, knowing that McLouth had been traded.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Angry But Still Went to the Game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:15 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yep and after watching McCutcheon for 3 innings, they are coming back.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 pm 

It will be interesting to watch attendance. I think the only fair way to judge the fan attitude is by walk up sales the rest of the year. Most people are going to use tickets they already paid for or give them away to someone that will use them. The games particularly to watch are non-interleague against someone like Houston on a Tuesday evening with no promotions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:26 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Man, you are putting a lot of attendance on McClouth.

I don't believe for a minute he is worth that much attendance. Now, McCutch on the other hand, has the talent to really generate excitement.

If they win, the fans will come.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:29 pm 

I saw two teen aged boys carrying a "Trade Huntington" sign after the game outside of the park. Made me chuckle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:38 pm 

Sorry I didn't get to you to say hello but I, like you, was there.

So were 20,600 other fans. Not bad for a Thursday afternoon game when the Pens were playing at night in the Cup finals. Others on this board said it was nuts to go in that situation. And that was before the trade. 3,300 walk ups were sold Thursday.

It sure was a fun game to watch. Life goes on and maybe the Pirates will.....................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:51 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Man, you are putting a lot of attendance on McClouth.

I don't believe for a minute he is worth that much attendance.

ZM

I don't think one trade impacts attendance. I think its the series of moves made over the past 17 years that produce the reaction that fans have to transactions like this. If you isolate the trade itself, its no big deal. But as a package of moves, each deal adds to the snowball that has become a avalanche of fan frustration towards to organization. Every move away from established plays to prospects regardless of value will erode a few more fans from the ticket buying base until a winner is one the field. And everytime you trade a bona fide MLB player for a prospect you are pushing the timeline another year back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:50 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Which is the whole reason to not associate NH and Coonelly with the last 17 years. They have been here about 2. And, they have made dramatic improvements. To me that includes a team today that is better than yesterday.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm 

Not so sure that this team is better today but the organization as a whole is much improved and the team is just fine. Ok today and better each day that follows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:05 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I saw two teen aged boys carrying a "Trade Huntington" sign after the game outside of the park. Made me chuckle.

I also will guess that they are 2 members of this board, but i wont say who. I will leave that for everyone else to guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

When it comes to protesting, Pirates fans have to be the dumbest fans around.

However, they got that sweet pillbox hat t-shirt! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:32 pm 

Notice, if you will, the way all the apologists on here(all 5 of them),

call the fans,

"they".

LOL, :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:11 am 

I got tickets on Stubhub Wednesday night after the trade just to see McCutchen. Maybe it was because I was sitting first row centerfield but people were going nuts for him. All around me I saw people with homemade signs protesting the trade, except they weren't holding them up, I guess they liked what they saw.