Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: From the Post Gazette Editorial
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:51 pm 

How do we really know it is different? In the littlefield and bonifay early days you could have thought they were doing a good job. Hunington has made some littlefield like moves. He dealt bay for 4 prospects. Hansen has proven nothing at the big leagues except he could gain an era at 6.00. Morris is coming off of arm surgery. Moss can hit for 260 at best and if he is lucky at some point may be a 20 homerun guy. And laroche whos stock as a prospect drasticly went down. Laroche is the only one with some upside and not a lot.

Hunington made this move so Nutting could host a brothers dual bobblehead promotion. Come to the game and get a Andy And Adam Laroche brothers bobblehead sponsered by Laroche College!!! Yay!

But seriously Hunington may be making some moves in the right direction like the nady deal and maybe the McClouth deal but that is still no excuse to bypass a team of 17 losing seasons. The Pirates have lost so many fans they have lost at least 2 generations of baseball fans. They are the worst run team in proffesional sports. And we still will have to wait 3-5 more years for a competitive team IF the current rebuilding plan works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:56 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Youk always showed more power in the bigs even before his breakthrough in 08'. He is also a good defensive player and laroche does not compare to him at all.

Yes, Youkilis is such a great defensive third baseman that the Red Sox play him at first.

Quote:
Im not saying I dislike laroche or he is a terrible player but he needs to hit for power. To score runs he needs an offense behind that can hit for some power. Who will do that power hitting?

Who cares? The key to hitting is not making outs. Laroche does a good job of not making outs. Pedro Feliz is one of the great outmakers in baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:56 pm 

Quote:
They are the worst run team in proffesional sports.

I think the Clippers in basketball, the Lions and Bengals in football, and the Astros and Nationals are run alot worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:58 pm 

Its because he is a better defender at first.
First basemen's fielding record
On June 25, 2007, Youkilis played in his 120th consecutive game at first base without an error, breaking the prior Red Sox record set in 1921 by Stuffy McInnis.[43] On September 7, he played in his 179th consecutive game at first base without an error, which broke the prior AL record set in 1973 by Mike Hegan.[44]

Youkilis's streak at the end of the regular season was 190 games; while he was charged with an error in the sixth inning of an October 16, 2007, playoff game against the Cleveland Indians, postseason games are not included in the record. Youkilis said, "I’m not worried about making the error. I’m worried about trying to help the team win and trying to get an out any way we can."[45]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

I think the Clippers in basketball, the Lions and Bengals in football, and the Astros and Nationals are run alot worse.

But non have gone through losing periods like the Pirates its not comparable. The bengals have had good playoff contenders in recent years. Astros were playoff contenders recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 pm 

you can have a lineup of 9 singles hitters who on base is 380
thena lineup of 9 homerun hitters whos on base is 340
But that homerun hitter lineup will product more runs its simple math. You can get on base more but if your not driving them in with the most productive offensive play in baseball the homerun you wont be as good of a team. But doubles and triples are nice homeruns are better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

But non have gone through losing periods like the Pirates its not comparable. The bengals have had good playoff contenders in recent years. Astros were playoff contenders recent years.

Yeah the Bengals are probably the closest to being decently run, but the Astros are where we were in 1993, and the Clippers never do anything good, and the Lions are in the middle of a huge streak in a league where there is a salary cap and some teams go from worst to first in 1 or 2 years, and they have managed to be bad for about 13 straight now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:04 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

The Astros reached the World Series less than 4 years ago.

The Clippers made the playoffs and won a series 3 years ago.

The Cincinnati Bengals went 11-5 4 years ago.

The Detroit Lions may be the closest comparison but even they made the playsoffs in 1999 and finished above .500 in 2000.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm 

Detroit also had a player they could celebrate in the last 20 years in Barry Sanders.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:23 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Detroit also had a player they could celebrate in the last 20 years in Barry Sanders.

So did the Pirates: Barry Bonds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:32 pm 

Ryann wrote:
If fans just act like the past never happened management will continue to put losers on the field. Wow wilton you are a joke you want everyone to act like the last 17 seasons never happened. We as fans have a right to bitch about the stupidity of this team in the last 17 years.
Well I do like how Tampa Bay has changed their team. I would like our managment to be like tama bay or the philies. Sign low risk high reward free agents, draft the best players in the draft, and make smart trades. Philly also has run their team pretty well.

Ryann, the Pirates are doing exactly that. They're making smart trades, drafting the best players available, and building the organization from the bottom. That does not fix things overnight. Ask the folks in Tampa.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:35 pm 

Wilton once again you prove your stupidity. Bonds in Pittsburgh is nothing like sanders was in detroit. Fans didnt like Bonds he was selfish and wasnt clutch. Bonds isnt going into the hall of fame as a pirate I can tell you that. And Pirate fans certiantly dont celebrate bonds. But maybe Wilton you have a bonds shrine next to your nutting one?
I and other fans wont believe it until they see it. We have been lied to far to many times.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:39 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Its because he is a better defender at first.

No kidding. Every single third baseman in the history of baseball would be a better defender at first. Do you know why? Because playing first base is much easier than playing third base. How do I know this? It's easy. Go back through baseball history and add up all the players who moved from third to first, and compare that number to all those who moved from first to third. Take a wild guess which number is way, way, WAY higher than the other. If that's not enough, just compare the hitting numbers of the average third baseman to those of the average first baseman.

By the way, errors is a poor way to measure defense. By your logic, an absolute statue with great hands would be the greatest fielder of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:40 pm 

Its nice to not make errors like laroche has.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Wilton once again you prove your stupidity. Bonds in Pittsburgh is nothing like sanders was in detroit.

You are insane. Bonds left Pittsburgh as an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame, barring a serious injury that cut his career short.

Quote:
Fans didnt like Bonds he was selfish and wasnt clutch. Bonds isnt going into the hall of fame as a pirate I can tell you that. And Pirate fans certiantly dont celebrate bonds. But maybe Wilton you have a bonds shrine next to your nutting one?
I and other fans wont believe it until they see it. We have been lied to far to many times.

Without Barry Bonds you'd be bitching right now that the Pirates haven't made the playoffs since 1979, because they would have failed to win division titles in 1991, 1992 and 1993.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Wilton once again you prove your stupidity. Bonds in Pittsburgh is nothing like sanders was in detroit. Fans didnt like Bonds he was selfish and wasnt clutch. Bonds isnt going into the hall of fame as a pirate I can tell you that. And Pirate fans certiantly dont celebrate bonds. But maybe Wilton you have a bonds shrine next to your nutting one?

OHHHHHHHHHHH HELLLLLLLLLL NO. Tell me he didn't just say that.
Although Bonds wont be remembered as a Pirate, i grew up in the Barry Bonds era here, i got to spend some time with him when i was about 4 years old, and every since he has been my favorite player, and yes i do have alot of Barry Bonds memorabilia, from bobble heads to rookie cards, from his college jersey to Mcfarlane figures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:47 pm 

Ryann wrote:

I guess it's going to be a long summer around here. Or until junior high is back in session. Holy crap that may be the dumbest thing ever written on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Wilton once again you prove your stupidity. Bonds in Pittsburgh is nothing like sanders was in detroit.

You are insane. Bonds left Pittsburgh as an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame, barring a serious injury that cut his career short.

Quote:
Fans didnt like Bonds he was selfish and wasnt clutch. Bonds isnt going into the hall of fame as a pirate I can tell you that. And Pirate fans certiantly dont celebrate bonds. But maybe Wilton you have a bonds shrine next to your nutting one?

Without Barry Bonds you'd be bitching right now that the Pirates haven't made the playoffs since 1979, because they would have failed to win division titles in 1991, 1992 and 1993.

Are you high bonds had around 1000 hits and 200 homeruns when he left the pirates! He wouldnt ever be in the hall of fame!
You sorry apoligists all stick up for eachother and try to put a valid argument togethor which you cant. You try to say bonds would be in the hall of fame when he left the pirates. Then you try to some up with sorry ass excuses for 17 losing seasons.

Last edited by Ryann on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:58 pm 

"It is not enough to say, as Huntington did, that no one is untouchable.
At some point, the players, as well as the manager and his staff, will need to
know that the carpet will not keep getting yanked out on an annual basis."

D.K.

Yep. He said that too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm 

DK is right.

Players are employees, and everyone knows that. As an employee, any employee of any business, you hate being lied to.

If it comes to a point where you can no longer trust the people you work for, the entire organization is going to suffer. Especially in team sports, where attitude and belief in the organization and system is so essential.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next