Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Pub
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:56 pm 

Some of you will recall that, once upon a time, there was a chat room on this board (which sadly led to its hiatus) in which I set up a room called the Pub, which I like to think was a great success. It was predicated on the conceit that we were all mates standing around in a bar discussing the game and generally 'chewing the fat'.
The concept was based on my 20+ years experience as a Landlord running Pubs in England, a profession from which I retired vowing to "never again pull another pint".
Life is a fickle mistress and, thus it is, that I find myself about to return to the trade. On Monday (6/8), courtesy of a well-known Brewery's request of assistance, I find myself taking over a village Pub once more.
Thus (and the reason for my posting) should any of my friends from this esteemed board - and that is pretty much everybody save Serling and BH (who are probably ,anyway, one and the same) - find themselves flying into Heathrow this year, my country pub is only some 20 minutes distant and affords not only excellent ales and food - not to mention erudite and convivial hospitality - but also overnight accommodation at extremely competitive rates, which will be further reduced for said friends.
I crave your indulgence for this preposterous piece of self-promotion.

Post subject: Re: The Pub
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 pm 

I will keep that in mind if I come across the pond again, Bertie. My sister lives in Liverpool and I have been over to visit her twice. Another trip may be forthcoming next year. If I fly into Heathrow, I will stop by for a pint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:05 pm 

If I would make it over that way...I'll bring my guitar and harmonica and play a few songs in exchange for a pints...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:05 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Some of you will recall that, once upon a time, there was a chat room on this board (which sadly led to its hiatus) in which I set up a room called the Pub, which I like to think was a great success. It was predicated on the conceit that we were all mates standing around in a bar discussing the game and generally 'chewing the fat'.
The concept was based on my 20+ years experience as a Landlord running Pubs in England, a profession from which I retired vowing to "never again pull another pint".
Life is a fickle mistress and, thus it is, that I find myself about to return to the trade. On Monday (6/8), courtesy of a well-known Brewery's request of assistance, I find myself taking over a village Pub once more.
Thus (and the reason for my posting) should any of my friends from this esteemed board - and that is pretty much everybody save Serling and BH (who are probably ,anyway, one and the same) - find themselves flying into Heathrow this year, my country pub is only some 20 minutes distant and affords not only excellent ales and food - not to mention erudite and convivial hospitality - but also overnight accommodation at extremely competitive rates, which will be further reduced for said friends.
I crave your indulgence for this preposterous piece of self-promotion.

Bertie, there is nothing I'd love more, but I fear that I'm currently one winning lottery ticket away from my long dreamed of London vacation. Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:06 pm 

Best of luck Bertie with your new establishment! I wish you all the success in the world.

I hope to travel more when I retire. Your Pub will be on my "must see" list of places to visit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:15 pm 

Actually Bertie, if you could, PM me. Mrs. AZBF and myself are celebrating year 25 of wedded bliss and are planning prospective trips in accordance. Need some numbers. Thanks. AZBF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:20 pm 

Bertie - what section of (Greater) London? I used to get there quite often for work. It's one my favorite cities.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
Bertie - what section of (Greater) London? I used to get there quite often for work. It's one my favorite cities.

It is actually outside of Greater London, in the countryside of Buckinghamshire (I think it's known as the Royal County!). So, north-west of Heathrow.
The Pub is on a Village Green.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

That would be a dream trip for my wife and I. I'd love to take you up on that someday soon! Congrats on the pub!

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 pm 

Bertie - Such a classy and kind fellow. I may have to figure out a way to take you up on that offer. A long weekend in the English country side, an easy sell for the missus!

Az - Happy Silver Anniversary!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 pm 

THE POTTERS ARMS

Winchmore Hill
Bucks.
HP7 0PH

If you’re travelling through Buckinghamshire,
visit
Michael & Cara Orpen-Palmer’s
Village Pub.

REAL ALES
GOOD FOOD - GOOD WINE
CONVIVIAL WELCOME
EN-SUITE ACCOMMODATION
LIVE MUSIC - PUB GAMES

Set in beautiful countryside, yet only 30 minutes drive from
Heathrow Airport.
Many tourist attractions in the locality.
Handy for London jaunts – just three miles from Amersham Tube Station.

Telephone: 01494722641
e-mail: morpen-palmer@tiscali.co.uk