Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Im sick of the fighting.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:19 am 

Argentum wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Its not about arguing or fighting, thats fine...If you have an opinion give it, but be able to back it up with facts to support your stance...

78% of readers believe that Bucfan's posts are the funniest and most original on this board.

91% say they would publicly weep if Bucfan stopped posting here.

99% say they hope Bucfan keeps posting until he is very, very, VERY old and damn near senile.

http://www.wikipediaiamabouttomakeup.com

I'd like to know the margin of error on those polls.

+/- 75%

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:54 am 

Why am I a member of this board?

1 It really enhances by ability to be an informed Pirate fan. I am a much stronger fan since I joined this group.
2. My knowledge of baseball in general, and Pirate history has increased by a tremendous amount.
3. I can find out immediately what's happened and what others think of that.
4.I get instant accesss to information that I want about trades, minor league developments, etc.
5. I can formulate more sound opinions about direction of the team to share with others.
6. I get current statistical data of this year's players which helps me understand their progress or lack thereof.
7. I have gotten other very good sites to go to for more Pirate info.
8. Maybe most important is that I get to express my opinions and feelings about things to the other members.

What would I change?

1.Only one thing. People who have a strongly held view of any issue should not disrupt the entire conversation in every or almost every thread by injection the same argument over and over. Those actions tend to over time destroy the enjoyment everyone gets. Make your point, make it several times but move on to something else.

Please don't ruin this board for people like me who enjoy it so much by ad nosium repeating the same tired argument.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 am 

Nutting seems to have been serious about using tacky promotions suchas bobleheads and fireworks. He hasnt been commited to a contendning team he gave away our best player aramis ramirez to save money. That is one thing that ticks me off. You can say we have new management but really the same things happened undert the old management and in soon time we will see how "good" these prospects will someday be.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 am 

Is Rod Serling the poster formerly known as Bullish Hitter? It's got to be or else it's his twin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:13 am 

Funny that the people on this board that continue to contribute negativity still visit it, ..... chances are you'll find them at PNC Park too. Nothing but shit talkers. They love the Pirates and you/they know it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:46 am 

Substitute2 wrote:

Please don't ruin this board for people like me who enjoy it so much by ad nosium repeating the same tired argument.

Great post which nails my view as well.

I was much amused by this new faux-latin phrase you have coined, which ought to exist in reality as it would be useful to describe an interfering busybody. :lol:

I think you meant "ad nauseam".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 am 

I realize that I'm not exactly a frequent poster, but I'm a regular reader. That said, banning people leads to one lame and boring board. It takes all kinds. Personally, I like to read spirited debates. It beats reading a bunch of sunshine and stats posts by people wearing rose colored glasses. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I come from a talk radio background and if a show doesn't have any heat or spark, it gets boring REALLY fast.

We are fans of a team with a LONG history of losing. People should be upset. But people should also be realistic and applaud when good moves are made by the organization. I'm OK with the McLouth trade now. I still have faith that Huntington is on the right track. Let's face it, pulling the trigger on this trade took SERIOUS balls and he knew he would catch hell for it. So why would he do it, if he didn't honestly think it would help us?

Keep the debates alive!! As long as no one is insulting board member's families, I say go for it. We're all grown men and can stand up for ourselves if our opinions are questioned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 am 

Good points VS.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:56 am 

Serious balls? It took serious balls for DL to pass on bj upton and matt wieters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:00 pm 

Exactly the opposite. No huevos in trying to sign them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I realize that I'm not exactly a frequent poster, but I'm a regular reader. That said, banning people leads to one lame and boring board. It takes all kinds. Personally, I like to read spirited debates. It beats reading a bunch of sunshine and stats posts by people wearing rose colored glasses. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I come from a talk radio background and if a show doesn't have any heat or spark, it gets boring REALLY fast.

We are fans of a team with a LONG history of losing. People should be upset. But people should also be realistic and applaud when good moves are made by the organization. I'm OK with the McLouth trade now. I still have faith that Huntington is on the right track. Let's face it, pulling the trigger on this trade took SERIOUS balls and he knew he would catch hell for it. So why would he do it, if he didn't honestly think it would help us?

Keep the debates alive!! As long as no one is insulting board member's families, I say go for it. We're all grown men and can stand up for ourselves if our opinions are questioned.

The Pittsburgh Pirates, under the ownership of Bob Nutting, are a franchise that makes money by losing baseball games. All moves are made with this one constant in mind: In Major League Baseball, there are a few(perhaps 3, or 4 at most) franchises that are meant to lose. These franchises do not have winning as their goal. Their goal is to make profit, lose baseball games, year after year after year.

It's a dirty little secret of the game, but a fact.

Ask Mark Grace about it, if you don't believe me. That's all I'll say.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:58 pm 

If you had to listen to Mark Grace on a daily basis, you would not base opinions on his input. A colleague of mine is the official scorer for the D Backs and he laughs everytime anyone quotes Grace.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
If you had to listen to Mark Grace on a daily basis, you would not base opinions on his input. A colleague of mine is the official scorer for the D Backs and he laughs everytime anyone quotes Grace.

A collegague of mine used to work with him.

He has a different opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:30 pm 

Have you listened to him for any amount of time?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:59 pm 

Mark Grace said the same thing about the Cubs and their ownership. Meant to lose, just care about making money.
Grace says things to get a reaction whether they have a factual basis or not.
He was also a union rep for the Cubs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:23 pm 

When paired with "No Dead Air" Derren Sutton, it becomes a goof fest on FSN AZ.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:08 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
When paired with "No Dead Air" Derren Sutton, it becomes a goof fest on FSN AZ.

Mark Played the Game and has a ring.

Do you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:40 pm 

Who cares if Mark Grace has a WS ring...Just cuz you have a ring and know how to play the game doesnt make you a great commentator or coach...

What does Mark Grace have to do with the Pirates anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:18 pm 

You gotta do better than that Rod. I mean answer the question, don't avoid it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:51 pm 

I knew I would catch some hell for my previous post. meh. :roll:

I don't believe that Nutting is out to lose. If Nutting were so happy with losing, why bother hiring a new GM at all? He could have just stayed put with the last regime's Burnitz style signings and laughed all the way to the bank, right? Or why waste that precious money building a Dominican Republic facility? For appearances and to assist the evil plot of endless losing for his own benefit?

That's just paranoia and conspiracy stuff.

They're trying to right the ship and I truly believe that.