Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6240
Location: Keystone State
Agree? Disagree?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
bucco boy wrote:


I agree. I like the Braves but they need to get a solid lineup in there first. It seems like if Chipper Jones comes back from injury, then Yunel Escobar gets hurt. They can't get everybody healthy and playing good at once. They have good players but they don't play like a team. They aren't a well oiled machine.
Nate will help but he isn't a team changer like Bay is to Boston.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3410
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I agree. Good analysis. I like Nate, but what we got back in return from the Braves seems to me to be an fair deal for all of the talent involved on both sides. Plus, it is becoming more and more clear that NH's strategy is to replenish and rebuild by getting quantity with hopefully some quality. As long as the Bucs can keep coming out ahead with these trades, even if it is slight, I think it's the way to go. Make trades, acquire arms, and build and develop your own talent from within......like Alvarez, like Cutch, like Tabata, etc.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 34
bassoondirector wrote:
I agree. Good analysis. I like Nate, but what we got back in return from the Braves seems to me to be an fair deal for all of the talent involved on both sides. Plus, it is becoming more and more clear that NH's strategy is to replenish and rebuild by getting quantity with hopefully some quality. As long as the Bucs can keep coming out ahead with these trades, even if it is slight, I think it's the way to go. Make trades, acquire arms, and build and develop your own talent from within......like Alvarez, like Cutch, like Tabata, etc.


And he seems to be putting a bonus on speed as well.

_________________
From Philly to Pittsburgh


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Eddie wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
I agree. Good analysis. I like Nate, but what we got back in return from the Braves seems to me to be an fair deal for all of the talent involved on both sides. Plus, it is becoming more and more clear that NH's strategy is to replenish and rebuild by getting quantity with hopefully some quality. As long as the Bucs can keep coming out ahead with these trades, even if it is slight, I think it's the way to go. Make trades, acquire arms, and build and develop your own talent from within......like Alvarez, like Cutch, like Tabata, etc.


And he seems to be putting a bonus on speed as well.


Speed is good but we could be powerless. Adam LaRoche will probably be traded and Doumit is always hurt.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:36 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 34
Colin21 wrote:
Eddie wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
I agree. Good analysis. I like Nate, but what we got back in return from the Braves seems to me to be an fair deal for all of the talent involved on both sides. Plus, it is becoming more and more clear that NH's strategy is to replenish and rebuild by getting quantity with hopefully some quality. As long as the Bucs can keep coming out ahead with these trades, even if it is slight, I think it's the way to go. Make trades, acquire arms, and build and develop your own talent from within......like Alvarez, like Cutch, like Tabata, etc.


And he seems to be putting a bonus on speed as well.


Speed is good but we could be powerless. Adam LaRoche will probably be traded and Doumit is always hurt.


Lack of power doesn't seem to be hurting the Dodgers any.

_________________
From Philly to Pittsburgh


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Power will come from Andy LaRoche soon, I believe that it will happen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
Piratefan13 wrote:
Power will come from Andy LaRoche soon, I believe that it will happen.

Quick, who am I?

"But ... but ... he only has 2 home runs!"

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6240
Location: Keystone State
It's a numbers game. If you trade one good player and get three prospects back, you are hoping that at least one of those prospects become as good as the player you traded therefore justifying the trade. The more prospects you acquire, the better your chances of that happening. Where the trades end up working even more is the Tony Pena trade where you end up getting two players that help you down the road.

The bottom line is this. The Pirates were losing with Bay, Nady and McLouth. They can lose without them right now hoping that when Tabata, Hernandez, Locke, or Morris are in the big leagues they are in a position to win because they have more talent to achieve that goal.

It all comes down to player evaluation. End of story.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:43 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
I thought the article was as subjective as possible and pretty much spot on. The condensed (and imo accurate) version: Only time will tell.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
I agree with Argentum.

I like the idea. Shows balls for management.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Power will come from Andy LaRoche soon, I believe that it will happen.

Quick, who am I?

"But ... but ... he only has 2 home runs!"

Oh, damn, I know this one! ... Um ... can I use a lifeline?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7287
Since the game was postponed and there was no Pens game, my local AM station carried the Curve game lastnight...

Curveradio said the Braves AA park is a pitcher's paradise, Hernandez was 3rd in the league in hitting there...He also thought Morton might have a shot at replacing Snell in the rotation if he were to keep struggling, Snell still has an option...

The Braves gave up their 4th and 7th top prospects, and a work in project lefty pitcher...

I also have to give it up to him for not going nuts lastnight...A) with all the errors (9 or 10 combined errors) B) Equipment failure forced him to call the game via cell phone...

Awesome job Curveradio....

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:26 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:41 pm
Posts: 50
Two home runs! Isn't that what Bobby del Greco had when we traded him even up for Bill Virdon?

Anyhow, does this signal the end of the road for Snell? In some of the commentary it was claimed that the Rockies and the Phillies have shown some interest in Mr. Snell. I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Snell is soon gone for some lower level prospects and Charlie Morton is promoted to take Snell's place. That solves one of the problems for the 40-man roster, and it may well be an improvement in our rotation if Morton shows up as the new Morton - not the guy he was earlier.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6294
I think you will see Tom Gorzellanny in the rotation if Snell is 86'ed.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Why does everyone think Snell should get 86'ed? Looking at the rotation, Karstens appears to me to be the low man on the totem pole. He should be the first to go if we're going to bring in a new starter to the rotation.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
I don't know, maybe because Karsten's is performing better?

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Springfield, IL
Thanks for the great compliments Nad...first time the equipment crapped out on me this season..go figure.

BTW, Gorkys makes his debut tomorrow in Altoona (I thought that would happen)..we will be moving an OF to Indy (my guess is either Pacheco, Corsaletti or Delaney).

The OF defense is about to get better in Altoona with Gorkys and Tabata in the outfield. I think Tabata now goes to right with Gorkys in center and one of the two guys above in left with the other one as a DH (when we play AL teams).

I like this deal for the upside. NH is following the blueprint that made Cleveland a great team in the 90's..the cool thing is, NH is actually getting pitching.. something John Hart didn't get.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: SI.com article on trade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6294
I said if, not when Wilton. My personal opinion, for what that's worth, is that Snell should go out there everyday and try and work this out. It is definitely mental as eluded to in the PG today. His confidence is just not where it should be.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits