It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirate Trivia...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 pm 

That's it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 pm 

Animal wrote:
Now, do you (or anybody else) want to take a shot at the starting lineup that day??

I believe that Larry Demery was the pitcher, Sanguillen behind the plate, Oliver at first, Cash at second, Pagan at third, Hernandez at short, Stargell in left, Clines in center, and Clemente in right.[/quote]

You must abve missed the answer.....pretty close, but.....
Larry Demery did not make his Pirates debut until 1974. The starter was Dock Ellis. Dave Cash started at third, and Stennett at 2b.[/quote]
No, I didn't miss it, I just figured I'd take a shot before reading on to see how close I'd get. I did better than I expected, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We always called him Richie Wrappers while attempting to say it as he would with his New Engie accent.

LOL, I remember that commercial!

"Not the bwead, the wappers."

Sounded like he was channeling Elmer Fudd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:13 pm 

Richie is now the manager of the Frederick Keys in the Carolina League. What is interesting, considering this thread, is that one of the players on the team is David Cash, the son of former pirate second baseman Dave Cash.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:49 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
We always called him Richie Wrappers while attempting to say it as he would with his New Engie accent.

Eat the bwead, keep the wappers!

Man, you guys are dating yourselves! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:02 am 

Animal wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Eat the bwead, keep the wappers!

Man, you guys are dating yourselves! :D

It's impressive to know the starting line up. I knew some but not all, and I'm in your age range :)

BTW - do you remember this lesson in how to speak New England for Curt Schilling?

http://redsox.fandome.com/video/12613/D ... Schilling/

It's hilarious. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 am 

I always assumed that all nine starting Pirates players in that game were African Americans. Obviously Hernández and Sanguillen were not.

Meanwhile when the Astros had no African American players on their roster in the World Series I heard more than a couple of times that they had no black players. They did have some Dominicans on that team though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:07 am 

Ollie wrote:
I always assumed that all nine starting Pirates players in that game were African Americans. Obviously Hernández and Sanguillen were not.

Meanwhile when the Astros had no African American players on their roster in the World Series I heard more than a couple of times that they had no black players. They did have some Dominicans on that team though.

Technically, I guess they said the entire lineup was "minorities" not necessarily black. You could certainly question Hernandez and Clemente, but Sangy??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:09 am 

It's impressive to know the starting line up. I knew some but not all, and I'm in your age range :)

BTW - do you remember this lesson in how to speak New England for Curt Schilling?

It's hilarious. :)[/quote]

Well, I knew the answer! If I had to guess, I probably would have missed either Clines or Stennett as starters. I would have guessed that Cash played 2b, not 3b, and that Oliver was in CF. SO I was trying to come up with a 1b and 3b to answer the question when I first heard it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:14 am 

Animal wrote:

Well, I knew the answer! If I had to guess, I probably would have missed either Clines or Stennett as starters. I would have guessed that Cash played 2b, not 3b, and that Oliver was in CF. SO I was trying to come up with a 1b and 3b to answer the question when I first heard it.

My 1st baseball glove was a Rawlings Rennie Stennett and I have his autograph on a scrap of paper from a game circa '76 to this day so I wouldn't forget him. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Animal wrote:

My 1st baseball glove was a Rawlings Rennie Stennett and I have his autograph on a scrap of paper from a game circa '76 to this day so I wouldn't forget him. :)

Oh, I would not forget Stennett, but he didn't play much in '71. Wasn't he a September call-up?? And I thought he played mostly OF until 1974, after Dave Cash was traded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:40 am 

I think Stennett was a all up in '71 and frankly I don't remember him that early. I essentially guessed because I know he was on the team later in the '70's and I recently looked up his stats to settle an argument because I like him as a player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:28 am 

Richie Hebner? I remember the nickname 'Hack', which is how Bob Prince would refer to him on the air.